Good .308 Load

Z

Zundel257

Anyone have a good .308 load using 168 grain berger BTHP's? Maybe using Hodgdon podwer of VV? Looking for the best load for accuracy anyone has had success with. Thanks

well is your rifle, just like mine and being shot at 5000 ft elevation ?
are you using the same case as me ? the same wieght range of cases,/ the same lot of primers ?
no ? well then my load won't work for you....
go work up your own loads. try the new imr 8208..its great in 308 with 168's
wolf/tula primers/ lake city match cases
mike in co

If the gun wont shoot well with Laupa brass, 4064 or Varget and Fed primers, It may have some problems

I'm with Ernie - I've had a lot of luck with 4064. People seem to like Varget these days as well. You're going to have to test the actual load yourself, though. Too many variables.

39 grains of 4064 or 43 grains of 748 with 168 gr Sierra HPBT Match at 1.925 OAL are mild loads that have always worked well for me in a variety of 308's. Those loads in rifles with good barrels, bedding, and triggers (but not dedicated benchrest rifles) have produced many 5 shot groups for me in the 5/16th to 3/8th range. Don't know if it was conditions, bad days for me, or what but the 4064 load seems to have a slight edge in group size.

I have had soem success with Hornady brass, federal primers, 168 grain BTHP Bergers and 46 grains of Varget. I may try to up the load about .5 grains, but am a little nervous doing this because the Hodgdon website says that 46 is the max, but think it should not be a problem since i am working with a custom inlayed kreiger barrel. I also need to do some tests on different OAL's

I have very good luck with 44g RL15,205M and 168 SMK in Federal GM brass. It has been outstanding in three different .308's.

or 175's and adjust the load and u have the mil 1118lr load...
I have very good luck with 44g RL15,205M and 168 SMK in Federal GM brass. It has been outstanding in three different .308's.

Back