Good .22LR for BR at 50Y

S

stevenorlando

Hello All,

What is a currently a good BR rifle in .22LR for 50Y BR? In the $1000 - $1500 range

I like Anschutx, and out of the current Anschutz rifles, which one is the best for benchrest at 50Y.

I saw the 1903 for a reasonable price

Steve

Better to build one!

Hello All,

What is a currently a good BR rifle in .22LR for 50Y BR? In the $1000 - $1500 range

I like Anschutx, and out of the current Anschutz rifles, which one is the best for benchrest at 50Y.

I saw the 1903 for a reasonable price

Steve

You can have fun shooting a 1903 Anschutz Rifle, however, you are not going to win with it. If you put a new barrel on it and add a tuner you will be more competitive! And if you rebed it with a 3" benchrest stock you may improve, however, after you have done all that you have just spent another $750 to $1,550 plus.

Your better off to wait and save your money until you can afford to build a new rifle. Unless, you know someone who has a hummer for sale (unlikely trust me)!

If you will spend $1,500 on a used Anschutz wait and custom build a rifle brand new with a new Falcon, Turbo or Stiller Copperhead Action they cost $1,150.00 a Stock cost $350.00 to ? Harrel Tuner $150.00 Shilen Barrel $275.00 Jewell Trigger $165.00

For another $1,200.00 to $1,500.00 you have a Rifle that you can compete with against everyone!

Goodluck!

Mike

Mike is right. Many years ago I made the very mistake you are about to make. I tried to save some money by starting out in the game with factory rifles, new out of the box. They didn't do well so I started spending money modifying them. I kept putting more money into them and still always came in near the bottom during a match. I finally realized I should have listened to those around me and got rid of what I had and bought a used custom built benchrest rifle. With that rifle, I won some targets but still no matches. I used it until I felt I could afford to have a custom built new rifle that would still do better.

There are those who have been in the game for a while who have extra custom build benchrest rifles who will sell you one at a price where when you decide to upgrade to another rifle, you can sell it and still get your money back. Most of the time the seller will let you try it out before you buy it while he or she is at the range or a match. I doubt you will come close to getting your money back with any factory rifle, modified or not modified.

Pat

Steve: The previous messages are good advice. I'm a fan of Remington 37's. Have several of them, all but one are custom bench rest guns. None of them travel with me to a match. They just cannot compete with the big boys.

You can take a Anschutz 54 action and make a truly competitive bench rest rifle out of it, the action is the cheap part. But the Anschutz 5018 trigger has almost no equal so you have pluses and minuses. You need to know/have access to a knowledgeable 54 bench rest smith to get it done right tho.

Some will tell you that for bench rest the better 54 actions are the early ones with the safety on the bolt. Why? More consistent ignition. The later models have "faster lock time" (not a factor in BR shooting) but less consistent ignition. I have one of each and indeed the early 1400 series is a bit better than my later X model.

If you want to start out within your budget a 54 is a good way to go. Know that as you grow into the sport you will be threading the action, putting on a good barrel, replacing the stock etc etc. Get that 54, put a front sled on it and buy the very best bench hardware you can get (and that means another $1K+ just for bench gear and wind flags), Then get out there and shoot, shoot and shoot some more watching your flags and learning how to play the game. But be aware it is an addictive game. Once hooked you will spend your money on ammo before you eat. bob

A factory rifle is the worst entry level BR approach. many shooters build new rifles on a regular basis and sell off the older ones to pay the tariff. There are a number of really good benchrest guns sold each year in the $1500 to $2000 range. And as someone else mentioned, you can usually try before you buy on those. Bet I could find 6 at the next club match. With three phone calls that could be up to a dozen.

Thanks!

You can have fun shooting a 1903 Anschutz Rifle, however, you are not going to win with it. If you put a new barrel on it and add a tuner you will be more competitive! And if you rebed it with a 3" benchrest stock you may improve, however, after you have done all that you have just spent another $750 to $1,550 plus.

Your better off to wait and save your money until you can afford to build a new rifle. Unless, you know someone who has a hummer for sale (unlikely trust me)!

If you will spend $1,500 on a used Anschutz wait and custom build a rifle brand new with a new Falcon, Turbo or Stiller Copperhead Action they cost $1,150.00 a Stock cost $350.00 to ? Harrel Tuner $150.00 Shilen Barrel $275.00 Jewell Trigger $165.00

For another $1,200.00 to $1,500.00 you have a Rifle that you can compete with against everyone!

Goodluck!

Mike

Great advice everyone!

I was talking to a gunsmith/dealer near where I live. He has in his shop a used BR rifle that has a Remington 40X action/stainless barrel, a Jewel trigger, a MacMillan Fiberglass BR stock for $1650.00. I already have a Harrel Tuner.

I don't know much about the Remington 40X action other than it is built in the REmington custom shop.

Can anyone comment on this rifle.

By the way, Mike, I added up your figures posted above, and w/o the tuner (which I have) it comes out to $1940. I was looking at some Anschutz rifles for that price. So not that far off from what my limits, doable:cool:.

Thanks again!

Steve

I am going to do that

A factory rifle is the worst entry level BR approach. many shooters build new rifles on a regular basis and sell off the older ones to pay the tariff. There are a number of really good benchrest guns sold each year in the $1500 to $2000 range. And as someone else mentioned, you can usually try before you buy on those. Bet I could find 6 at the next club match. With three phone calls that could be up to a dozen.

There is a 50/50 BR match coming up near where I live this Sun, and I may go and check it out.

Steve

Steve: 40X actions win lots of matches. Not factory 40X rifles usually but custom rifles built on the 40X action.

If it shoots well you have an option with the 40X. Some prefer it over the 54, some don't. Can you take it out and test shoot it for a box or 2?

When I buy a used rifle I always assume I will have to change the barrel. If the barrel is good then it just makes the deal better. With Eley black box heading for $1300 a case and a new barrel installed going for about $800 its sometimes cheaper to swap barrels than chase ammo for the one you have if it is not a killer barrel. Good luck, and as Don said there are lots of br rifles out there for sale if you turn over a few rocks. bob

At the RBA matches I am putting on I came up with an unsanctioned " Target Rifle" class that is for factory target rifles with no tuners. It is not uncommon for them to shoot 244 to 247 targets. The winning rifles are Annie 54's or 2013's and there have been some Kimber 82G's that have shot 240 - 243. The winning Target Rifle out scores the lower placing RBA Unlimited rifles.

The next thing for the Target Rifle class is a 100 yd target. The current plan is to use the IBS 200 yd centerfire score target. We will shoot 5 shots at each bull for a total of 250. To keep the X count scoring simple each bull will only count as one X so a perfect score would be 250-5x. I shot a 100 and 200 yd IBS target [at 100yds] on my last range trip and it was a lot of fun. Any slight wind change plays havoc although the last bull I shot did end up with a low .3" group as the wind settled down for a few moments. This was with my 2013/Lilja with a tuner which won't be legal for Target Rifle.

Dear Steve:

My prices are just for the purchase of components and does not include labor to do the barrel work and install barrel and bed action etc...So you need to add another $450 to $900+ for labor unless you plan on doing the work yourself!

Mike

Steve

I have bought 3 new Anschutz Rifles over the years 1912, 2013 BR 50 and 54:18 msr and 1 used 1400 series. The only rifle I still own is the 54:18 which I shoot indoor 50' Sporter you cannot beat it, however, 50 yard Benchrest is a different game and the Factory Anschutz Rifles 1912, 2013 BR 50 and 1400 SERIES could not compete with a custom built rifle! Your better off to buy a used Benchrest Rifle such as the one you mention 40x with Benchrest Stock and Jewell Trigger. If you can get it for around $1,500.00 put a new barrel on it and the harrel tuner you have! I can recommend a person who is reasonable and great reputation. It will cost about $575 for a new barrel and labor and another $100 to $125 for shipping. My e-mail is mps7@aol.com
Good Luck!

Mike

Steve,
I have just gone through the same process. I bought a used Turbo from Dan Killough. It shoots great with Eley red box ammo. However, you have overlooked one small component - a scope. Good luck, Dale

Eley Black Box

Steve: 40X actions win lots of matches. Not factory 40X rifles usually but custom rifles built on the 40X action.

If it shoots well you have an option with the 40X. Some prefer it over the 54, some don't. Can you take it out and test shoot it for a box or 2?

When I buy a used rifle I always assume I will have to change the barrel. If the barrel is good then it just makes the deal better. With Eley black box heading for $1300 a case and a new barrel installed going for about $800 its sometimes cheaper to swap barrels than chase ammo for the one you have if it is not a killer barrel. Good luck, and as Don said there are lots of br rifles out there for sale if you turn over a few rocks. bob

Bob,

Where do you get the Eley Black Box?

Steve

scope?

Steve,
I have just gone through the same process. I bought a used Turbo from Dan Killough. It shoots great with Eley red box ammo. However, you have overlooked one small component - a scope. Good luck, Dale

Dale,

Come to think of it, what is a good scope for 50Y BR?

Steve

Steve,

Dan Killough has the Eley ammo
A good scope is a good question. You really need to look through some and decide what you like and what power to use. There are many to select in fixed or variable power. Fixed power scopes are lighter such as Sightron, Weaver, and Leupold. Variables are heavier. I personally like Nightforce but they are expensive. March are really expensive - I have never seen one. I have found from 30 to 45 power to fit my eyes and shooting. Oh, and by the way, you will also need a rest and possibly some sand bags. I have not yet purchased a dedicated BR shooting rest as I would like to see what the shooters use at the range.
Again, Good Luck, Dale

Bob,

Where do you get the Eley Black Box?

Steve

Killough Shooting Sports has a supply of Eley Match (Black Box) listed on their website ad here on Benchrest.com.

I would suggest that once you're ready to buy some ammo for a rifle, don't buy a whole case to start with. First buy sample boxes of various types and speeds to find out first what the rifle seems to like best. Some rifles (or barrels) will like the cheaper stuff while others the so called high grade ammo. Pay attention as well to what speed ammo does best during different weather conditions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve,
Just returned from shooting my Turbo. I was shooting groups at 50 yards with Tenex off sand bag rests. The best group was .1825". We also shot paint balls off golf tees at 50 and 75 yards. Paint balls are fun but you cannot shoot the golf tee. All shots must be clean. I shot the Turbo I bought from Dan Killough. I just ordered two more bricks of the same lot ammo. I also shot some black box Eley and the groups were good but not as good as Tenex.
Good shooting, Dale

Back