Gone in seconds

Roger T

First forgive me if this is not appropriate(bringing another Forums (Accurate Shooter.com) bulletin to this Forum. But this just struck me as something I never thought of (in terms of barrel wear). A barrel (24" in this case)with an Accuracey life of 3000rds. has lost it's Accuracey in 6 SECONDS. This was based on 3000fps and a barrel time of .002. I guess I LERNT SUMTIN today.:eek::eek::eek:

Things you don't want your wife to know....

Barrel life qualifies :) Plug some numbers in the spread sheet and you'll see. - nhk

Attachments

• Having fun yet.xls
    21.5 KB · Views: 298
Barrel life qualifies :) Plug some numbers in the spread sheet and you'll see. - nhk

nhkuehl, Either I misread the Accurate Shooter Bulletin or somethings wrong somewhere. The numbers in your attached file show a velocity of 1000fps 24" barrel .002 BT for a 3000 round barrel 6 seconds wear out time. What am I missing ? BTW I like the spread sheet file Thank You........I went back and reread the bulletin. In 1 spot they say 1/1500th sec bbl time next they say .002. Your spread sheet is much better.

Last edited:
"Diamonds are forever", just ask your wife.

Concho Bill
She's WELL aware of that little fact. The subject comes up EVERY time I even think about another rifle prodject. Do you think I could get her to believe that the longer I go without cleaning the CARBON out of my barrels that I'm actually MAKING diamonds for her ?

Last edited:
You have a strange way of looking at this. Why would you care how many seconds it takes for 3000 rounds to go down a barrel? If you have a barrel with 3000 rds and you paid $330.00 for the barrel it would be 11cents per round. It is not cheap I agree, but lets not over analyze the cost.
Ron

Cost per round

You have a strange way of looking at this. Why would you care how many seconds it takes for 3000 rounds to go down a barrel? If you have a barrel with 3000 rds and you paid $330.00 for the barrel it would be 11cents per round. It is not cheap I agree, but lets not over analyze the cost.
Ron

Well, I figure the cost of the round (components) that ate 1/3000th of that barrel is just part of the fun and my kids need to know where their inheritance went. - nhk

Anyway you look at it if you shoot short range BR you cost is about $1+ per shot. Just set down and do the math. Cost of bullet, cost of primer, cost of powder, cost of case, cost of forming case, cost of barrel/1000, and cost of chambering. It does add up. Just not too much fun to do the math. Makes one think about using that good barrel for practice. And this does not take into consideration the cost of the scope, receiver, stock, and all the other goodies one needs, like , dies, presses, trimmers, etc, etc.

Donald

Then if you want to shoot competitively you have match fees, travel and lodging on top of that.
Ron

Investment vs. return

I like to shoot and I think it was actually more fun back when all I knew was an old single-shot .22. My dad would give me one .22 cartridge and let me take his Remington Model 41 single-shot out in the pasture to shoot gophers. If I got a gopher I got another cartridge, if not I was done for the that day.

My current ambitions exceed my budget and that's frustrating. It's closer to go varmint hunting than to competitions so that's what I do. A $.53 round in a prairie dog is more satisfying than a $2.65 group on a piece of paper anyways.

My wife is very understanding and let's me shoot the rifles I bought for her. - nhk

NCNBRSA, I'm not analizing the cost of anything, the Bulletin just brought up a part of barrel wear that I never gave any notice of before (not that it makes any difference to me) it's just interesting to know is all.

Last edited:
Think of this. How many times does the bullet rotate in 100 yards. Assuming a 13.5 lb gun, 22 inch barrel, 3000fps velocity, 118 gr bullet, the bullet's rotational velocity is 127,058 RPM. Since the travel time to the target at 100 yards is about .1 second, the # of times the bullet rotates between the gun and the target is only 212 rotations

Rotation

Think of this. How many times does the bullet rotate in 100 yards. Assuming a 13.5 lb gun, 22 inch barrel, 3000fps velocity, 118 gr bullet, the bullet's rotational velocity is 127,058 RPM. Since the travel time to the target at 100 yards is about .1 second, the # of times the bullet rotates between the gun and the target is only 212 rotations

Are you saying the twist is 1:17? It must be .308 caliber if it's stable. The weight of the rifle and barrel length are immaterial, but it must be a bench rifle. Am I close? - nhk

All those numbers, make Fly Fishing look fun
I remember when I took up fly fishing.

My first rainbow cost me $2150 according to my fishing diary when the costs I'd outlaid until I connected were taken into account & that was back in 1970 when a dollar was still worth a buck.

sorry, yes 1-17 twist 30 cal bench gun although the benchgun aspect is immaterial also. Rotational info from varmintal's webpage downloadable program.

I'm still waiting to see how much money I've spent before I can tell my wife I won a regeistered match. Going on my third year, closes is a forth, no wood Randy

Back