Glue-in bbl. block

D

Dog-duster

I am building a HG with a glue-in style barrel block, that is gluing the bbl. into the block. I have the block bored for .020" clearance and I've recently started thinking that I should open it up to .100" clearance to get the Devcon to squirt in there.

I plan on drilling two injection ports on the bottom side of the block to inject the epoxy mix in. I am using an o-ring set into a recess at either end and I will use a second set of them just inside the first to seal and support(center the bbl.). The Devcon I am planning to use is Plastic Steel through a syringe and I'm told it is relatively thin stuff. I have thought about building a injection tool that threads in and has handles to increase the pressure to inject with but that may take more time than it might be worth. Will I need to think of a more efficient method of sqeezing the mix into the block or is there a method that works better? Thanks for any advice guys.

Why don't you eliminate the O ring on one end and pour runny epoxy in with the barrel plumb. You could drill and tap the top (during the pour) end of the sleeve for four evenly spaced set screws to center the barrel at that end of the sleeve until the epoxy sets. Just a thought....

orings at either end are going to cause a venting issue..trapping air.
leave them out of one end, as said above......then push them in to the sleeve when all is full the orings "should" help center things.

i think .100 total is ok, but you might call devcon and ask them about shear and material thickness.

mike in co

The way it is done is to use the Orings, I think .025" clearance / side is a great number. Drill a vent hole in the opposite end you are injecting the glue into and when it comes out, stop injecting. The airspace will be minimal if you truly make the hole opposite, both laterally and 180 deg out. Ex: Inject in under the barrel at the muzzle end of the block, vent at the top under the scope.

Brownells makes kits that have the gun, and the glue, and will save you a lot of headaches. The glue gun you can use forever.

Hey Dog Duster

After you get finished building your new baby, maybe you could give me some pointers on how to use one of those big babies.

Where have you been hiding?

Email me professor.

robpas@btc-bci.com

Back