Giraud trimmer

josh shrum

Like my other post, I am laid up and have little else to do, so I am going to seek the wisdom of the internet (at least within this forum).

Do you use the spring loaded case holder that come with the Giraud Trimmer or use a custom case holder made with your reamer?

I assume most have custom case holders. For those that do, do you think that a longer case holder to help support more of the case wall would be beneficial for alignment?

Josh, I use a motorized turner and K&M or Pumpkin tool. Why? Because the tool pilots the working end of the case by way of the inside mandrel.

Mostly just use the 'factory'

I don't yet shoot BR, but I've gone the other direction. I have Girauds and a Lyman CaseTrim Xpress (among others). The Lyman uses what might be called a 'simplified bushing' in that it doesn't really match a chamber (any chamber) it just has a couple of datum surfaces and that seems to work as well as the Giraud in terms of consistency. (I'm only speaking in terms of the location / length repeatability - the Giraud trims much faster, without 'stutter' and produces a different edge.) I guess I'm trying to say I don't think it matters - when trimming you're not really trying to match anything to your chamber so much as trying to get a consistent length. I have a few 'custom' adapters for my Girauds, but for no other reason than it was more convenient to make an adapter than to order one. If I make any more they'll be a simple stepped hole design like the Lyman uses.

GsT

I use the standard Giraud spring loaded inserts. I am not trying to fit some chamber, just reducing the length to a consistent number.

I did not get one for 6PPC, I use my Wilson Trimmer for that. Only a couple hundred cases, so it's no big deal to do them by hand.

Back