Getting Moly completely out????

Bear with me.

1. Here is a test I did over 5 years ago. I coated 10 bullets with moly. I cleaned 5 of them immediately. The moly would come off with water, and completely off with soap & water. The other 5 I let sit a week. The moly would not come off. So all the tests that are applied soon after the moly is applied may be invalid for moly that has sat awhile.

2. As you might suspect, I shot moly in my long-range rifles for a while. I had build up (for whatever reason), and decided to stop shooting it. Cleaned as usual. It took about fifty rounds of naked bullets, and the barrel shot as well as ever with bare bullets -- maybe a little better. Using a borescope, the gray/black color you get in the bore with moly never did come completely out, even 700 rounds later when the barrel was at the end of its competitive life. Didn't matter.

This, of course, is anecdotal. I would try what Donovan has suggested (except you can't go back & clean), and if the bore is still gray, don't worry about it. After a good cleaning, whatever remains won't affect your grouping after 20-50 rounds.

FWIW

charles the build up was carbon.....it has to be removed in a seperate step at the begining of cleaning. the moly coating insulates the powder from the bbl and as it burns it cooks carbon on the surface of the moly. easy to remove with a quality carbon remover. then patch out any copper, and go back to shooting...
mike in co

Mike --- If that is your opinion.... cool !!!!

I've printed sub-5" groups at 1000yds with only 3 fouler's, before the string, from that barrel and that cleaning method. Same for other barrels.

With that... I disagree..... and is my opinion.

Happy Shooting
Donovan Moran

Mike --- If that is your opinion.... cool !!!!

I've printed sub-5" groups at 1000yds with only 3 fouler's, before the string, from that barrel and that cleaning method. Same for other barrels.

With that... I disagree..... and is my opinion.

Happy Shooting
Donovan Moran

notice i did not say the rifle would not shoot.
moly does not improve a rifles ability to to shoot, just the ability to shoot the same longer. i would expect to see some difference in the poi from begin to end of a long string. moly does affect internal ballistices. from primer ignition,the initial movement of the bullet is more than a necked bullet, which means more volume behind the bullet, which means less pressure, which means less velocity. most times going from a tune with necked bullets to moly requires adding powder to get the velocity back. these are the facts of going to a coated bullet, not an opinion. if your rifle shoots as well necked as it does with moly WITH THE SAME POWDER LOAD, it or the cartridge is a abnormality in the world of coated bullets.

mike in co

Dawn dish soap on a brush

Second that!

Whatever remains won't matter much. Also second what alinwa said about the "headgame". In fact, If you don't want to shoot coated bullets any longer, the transition is simply to start using non-coated bullets.

Mike --

moly does not improve a rifles ability to to shoot, just the ability to shoot the same longer.
Again your opinion - which differs from others

i would expect to see some difference in the poi from begin to end of a long string.
Same could be said for "naked" bullets

from primer ignition,the initial movement of the bullet is more than a necked bullet, which means more volume behind the bullet, which means less pressure, which means less velocity.
Common knowledge - see no point here

most times going from a tune with necked bullets to moly requires adding powder to get the velocity back.
I 100% agree with you here - but again, common knowledge

these are the facts of going to a coated bullet, not an opinion.
The internal ballistics I would agree are factual - the rest is again your opinion

if your rifle shoots as well necked as it does with moly WITH THE SAME POWDER LOAD, it or the cartridge is a abnormality in the world of coated bullets
I agree, -- again do to the obvious internal ballistics differences.
The same can be said for the "world of naked bullets"

Happy Shooting
Donovan Moran

"Mike --

Quote:
moly does not improve a rifles ability to to shoot, just the ability to shoot the same longer.

Again your opinion - which differs from others.

SORRY, BUT THIS IS THE ONLY BENEFIT OF MOLY....WHY DOES YOUR SINGLE OPINION DIFFER. PLEASE POST DATA, NOT YOUR OPINION.WE KNOW YOUR OPINION

Quote:
i would expect to see some difference in the poi from begin to end of a long string.

Same could be said for "naked" bullets
THE DIFFERENCE IS POI FOR COATED IN THIS CASE IS THE PROGRESSIVE COATING OF THE BBL...THE CONDITION THE BBL IS SUPPOSED TO BE SHOT IN. YOUR SHOOTING WOULD APPEAR TO BE INVALID. THE BBL IS SUPPOSED TO BE FULLY CONDITIONED. NOT DOING IT MAKES FOR USELESS DATA.
NAKED BULLET POI CHANGE WOULD IN MOST CASES BE FROM FOULING, THE OPPOSITE OF A COATED BULLET.

Quote:
from primer ignition,the initial movement of the bullet is more than a necked bullet, which means more volume behind the bullet, which means less pressure, which means less velocity.

Common knowledge - see no point here.....
NOT COMMON KNOWLEDGE. LOTS OF SO CALLED" KNOWLEDGEDABLE" SHOOTERS WHO PRONONUNCE MOLY USELESS BY POOR TO STUPID "TESTING". THEY TAKE A KNOWN LOAD, MOLY THE BULLET AND WHEN IT DOES NOT SHOOT AS WELL AS THE NAKED, THEY CLAIM MOLY SUCKS, WHEN IN FACT THIER TESTING SUCKS.

Quote:
most times going from a tune with necked bullets to moly requires adding powder to get the velocity back.

I 100% agree with you here - but again, common knowledge
SEE ABOVE

Quote:
these are the facts of going to a coated bullet, not an opinion.

The internal ballistics I would agree are factual - the rest is again your opinion.

Quote:
if your rifle shoots as well necked as it does with moly WITH THE SAME POWDER LOAD, it or the cartridge is a abnormality in the world of coated bullets

I agree, -- again do to the obvious internal ballistics differences.
The same can be said for the "world of naked bullets"
EXCUSE ME, BUT EXPLAIN HOW YOU TEST NAKED AGAINS NAKED, CALL IT AN ABNORMALLITY ??? THIS PART OF YOUR REPLY IS TOTALLY SENSELESS.

I SAVED THIS FOR LAST, BUT THE BOTTOM LINE IS YOUR CLEANING METHOD DESTROYS THE WHOLE PLAN OF MOLY SHOOTING...TO CONDITION THE BORE. THIS WOULD TEND TO MAKE ME BELIEVE YOUR OPINONS AND LACK OF TRUE DATA IS PRESENTED AND JUST PLAIN USELESS. TO THIS, I WILL STOP MY POSTS ON THIS THREAD.
THE ORIGINATOR CANNOT UNDERSTAND SIMPLE ENGLISH, AND YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND THE PUROSE OF COATING A BULLET.
happy shooting,
mike in co

Happy Shooting
Donovan Moran

Mike --

Please read the title of this thread: "Getting Moly completely out ????"
My first post here was my answer/reply to do just that..... Then you saying how stupid I am for doing so.

If you think removing all the Moly is contour productive...... then as I wrote....... COOL, that is your opinion!!!!
But it is NOT the ONLY opinion!!!! and is NOT the ONLY consensus, shooters go at the use of Moly.
Some do....Some don't....it's that simple!!!!

Obviously your use and methods of Moly is different then mine.
You tell me to prove mine, I say you prove that your way is better then mine. My way works for me... and for others... that's my proof...

<>My way for my Moly barrels:
1. No extra barrel prep, no extra rounds.
2. Go to a match and compete.
3. When the day is done, clean my barrel.
Some days I win, some days I loose, all days I am happy when shooting and competing.

<>My way for my Naked barrels:
- same as above - [but cleaning sooner / more often]

Happy Shooting
Donovan Moran

Last edited:
Don't know-

About the bore, I am not disputing Bob Dodd, I just havn't tried it there. [Dawn soap]. If you moly your own, Dawn will remove it from the toilet seat, the white wall phone, the doors between the shop and the house, and the refridgerator you keep your beer in. YESSS, moly may cause an increase of alcoholic intake. You are on your own about the white carpet.
Steve Moore

Always

don't worry,

I just broke in a new barrel with copper bullets,
then shot coated bullets (tungsten disulfide) came
in second, following weekend, shot copper bullets
and not only came in first, but set a personal best.
All I'm learnt from all this is you shoot coated bullets
so you don't have to clean as much. With coated
bullets there is no copper fowling period. just clean
real good and shoot. Have fun. Don't worry that
much about it.

Steve Huff

In another thread I asked questions about cleaning while shooting Moly but now I need to know how to get it completely out because I want to go back to regular copper jackets. In both my 7mm Mag. and 223wssm I have put the moly bore paste in and shot moly bullets luckily only about 5-10 shots out of each one. I know I need to use carbon removers but I don't know what carbon removers are....One guy mentioned using Kroil as a cleaner and another mentioned Gem top engine cleaner or something. I am trying PB Blaster similar to Kroil. Please tell me what I can use I have engine degreaser, carb cleaner, starting fluid, acetone, MEK, Marvel Mystery oil, xylene, whitewall cleaner.....HELP

I have been told reg. copper jackets won't group after using moly is this true?
Was told moly would bake into the barrel creating a carbon crust that was really hard.

I was also told not to use metal brushes with moly, so can I use metal brushes to get it out?

Back