George Carlin !!! Something different on this Forum.

G

gt40

George Carlin on age.
(Absolutely Brilliant)

IF YOU DON'T READ THIS TO THE VERY END, YOU HAVE LOST A DAY IN YOUR LIFE.

George Carlin's Views on Aging

Do you realize that the only time in our lives when we like to get old is when we're kids? If you're less than 10 years old, you're so excited about aging that you think in fractions.

"How old are you?" "I'm four and a half!" You're never thirty-six and a half. You're four and a half, going on five! That's the key

You get into your teens, now they can't hold you back. You jump to the next number, or even a few ahead.

"How old are you?" "I'm gonna be 16!" You could be 13, but hey, you're gonna be 16! And then the greatest day of your life . . You become 21. Even the words sound like a ceremony . YOU BECOME 21. YESSSS!!!

But then you turn 30. Oooohh, what happened there? Makes you sound like bad milk! He TURNED; we had to throw him out. There's no fun now, you're Just a sour-dumpling. What's wrong? What's changed?

You BECOME 21, you TURN 30, then you're PUSHING 40. Whoa! Put on the brakes, it's all slipping away. Before you know it, you REACH 50 and your dreams are gone.

But wait!!! You MAKE it to 60. You didn't think you would!

So you BECOME 21, TURN 30, PUSH 40, REACH 50 and MAKE it to 60.

You've built up so much speed that you HIT 70! After that it's a day-by-day thing; you HIT Wednesday!

You get into your 80's and every day is a complete cycle; you HIT lunch; you TURN 4:30 ; you REACH bedtime And it doesn't end there. Into the 90s, you start going backwards; "I Was JUST 92."

Then a strange thing happens. If you make it over 100, you become a little kid again. "I'm 100 and a half!"
May you all make it to a healthy 100 and a half!!

HOW TO STAY YOUNG
1. Throw out nonessential numbers. This includes age, weight and height. Let the doctors worry about them. That is why you pay "them."

2. Keep only cheerful friends. The grouches pull you down.

3. Keep learning. Learn more about the computer, crafts, gardening, whatever Never let the brain idle. "An idle mind is the devil's workshop." And the devil's name is Alzheimer's.

4. Enjoy the simple things.

5. Laugh often, long and loud. Laugh until you gasp for breath.

6. The tears happen. Endure, grieve, and move on. The only person, who is with us our entire life, is ourselves. Be ALIVE while you are alive.

7. Surround yourself with what you love , whether it's family, pets, keepsakes, music, plants, hobbies, whatever. Your home is your refuge

8. Cherish your health: If it is good, preserve it. If it is unstable, improve it. If it is beyond what you can improve, get help."GET HIMALAYAN GOJI "

9. Don't take guilt trips. Take a trip to the mall, even to the next county; to a foreign country but NOT to where the guilt is.

10. Tell the people you love that you love them , at every opportunity.

AND ALWAYS REMEMBER :
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. :):):)

George Carlin

Every time I listened to George Carlin's comedy, I could not help but laugh. I could not help but admire his comic genius.
I also could not help but remember the words to the song that went, "I am not scared of dieing, and I don't really care, but while I swear there is no Heaven, I will pray there is no Hell".
Rest in Peace, George.........jackie

That was a breath

of fresh air needed by everyone. Thank you Jackie!

Don't want to seem cynical ----BUT

Have you noticed that the coming of age brings with it, intolerance to things that in your youth ,were seen as a challenge. i.e. the top bolt on the starter of a twin cam Fiat. That bolt never changes, but I have. Todays challenges for me are the jobs that every other tradie turned away, I hope that the brain pain of that holds off alzheimer's.

And don't forget FCC v. Pacifica, or "How I learned every word I'll ever need to describe a weekend's shooting."

never liked the guy..........

.....................read his bio...............he made light of suicide bombers and beheadings, insulted the audience and was fired in Vegas.

He did not vote , yet criticized our system of government............a cynic who did not deserve the accolades given last week..........those on the left loved him...must have been the dirty words.

LHS

Don't be so cynical yourself.:cool: You sound like a liberal politician. It's the message that's important, not the messenger.

Ray

I thought his early stuff was great...

..."I never had a 10, but one night I had 5 Two's"

He had some great skits on sports that were really funny & had a smart mind & presented it well.

His later stuff turned me off as he got into the religion deal and it was upsetting to see a guy turn 180 on his comedy. I kinda felt sorry for him for some of the things he mentioned.....I think Jackie nailed it.

pf

And the all-important message..............

LHS

Don't be so cynical yourself.:cool: You sound like a liberal politician. It's the message that's important, not the messenger.

Ray

..........Carlin gave us was ????

It's OK to talk filth whenever and wherever one choses?

Think about it. The 7 dirty word routine is NOT a result of comedic genius.

LHS

Lighten up.

Have you ever coached a little league or high school sports team? The 7 dirty words are part of the lexicon.

Were you in the military? Every other word was one of the 7.

Carlin's message was, what is wrong with saying out loud and in front of everyone what they are saying in private? Look. I just said them and the world did not end.

Is it OK to do it whenever and wherever one chooses? Yes. It's called freedom of speech. Don't like it? Don't listen.

I'm probably a lot more like you than you realize. I use the 7 words, but not everywhere and not in front of everybody.

JMHO

Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
LHS

Lighten up.

Have you ever coached a little league or high school sports team? The 7 dirty words are part of the lexicon.

Were you in the military? Every other word was one of the 7.

Carlin's message was, what is wrong with saying out loud and in front of everyone what they are saying in private?

Is it OK to do it whenever and wherever one chooses? Yes. It's called freedom of speech. Don't like it? Don't listen.

JMHO

Ray

Yes, I have co-coached little league.....and in my neck of the woods ANY foul language was TABOO- even in high school......and still is today.

What is wrong with Carlin's viewpoint........R-E-S-P-E-C-T for your fellow man.

He was a contributing factor in "defining deviancy down"

Next time some gangbanger walks past your grandkids spewing out those 7 words YOU can praise Carlin for his genius.

Yes, I have co-coached little league.....and in my neck of the woods ANY foul language was TABOO- even in high school......and still is today.

What is wrong with Carlin's viewpoint........R-E-S-P-E-C-T for your fellow man.

He was a contributing factor in "defining deviancy down"

Next time some gangbanger walks past your grandkids spewing out those 7 words YOU can praise Carlin for his genius.

1. I'll bet you would have been shocked at what those kids said when the coach wasn't there to hear.

2. Respect includes tolerance of other views no matter how vile or disgusting you think they are.

3. I think you missed the message.

4. I think all of my grandkids know the words. They've probably already heard them in the huddle at football practice or in the girls restroom at school. They aren't going to be shocked by anthing any gangbanger may say.

As I said, I'm probably more like you than you realize. I'm a child of the Great Depression and we'd probably be friends. I'm like Rush, a lovable fuzzball. But I realize that it is the 21st Century, it's not 1950, and we're not in Kansas anymore.

Ray

LHSmith

And do you know why George Carlin didn't vote? 2 reasons. "I don't want to be blamed by others for helping to put the SOB in office, and I have the right to freedom of choice in this country".

Enough said!

I choose to remember his lead-in.......

"Hello this is Al Sleet, your Hippy Dippy Weatherman, with the Hippy Dippy weather..............man!"

"The forcast for tonight................dark. Turning partly light, to light, towards morning."

I also like to remember:

Andy Griffith's "What it was, was football"

and

Bill Cosby's "Noah!"

RIP George.....

Kevin

I think there's more LHSmith's out there, but they're afraid to speak up for fear of being contrary with the likes of today's society, many of them participating right here on this thread.

I've especially noticed the brown nosing that goes on in many of these threads when the moderator is present. I've met the moderator in person recently, and think he's a very amiable kind of guy who's pleasant to be around. But, we can still respectfully disagree with each other.

I think George Carlin was a sign of the times, and just another indicator of the decadent society we've become. Yes, I've watched and listened to his brand of comedy in years past when I was younger. Sure he was funny, and yes he made me laugh. I might even agree that he was a genius at what he did. But, as I've aged I've come to realize that maturity and decency requires exercising some self control and setting parameters in recognizing right from wrong and defending values we believe important for our soul's survival. Would any of you EVER allow an individual like George Carlin in your home to use the same talk and language with your wife and daughters? I think not.

So what makes you think it's OK in a theater, or on television sets throughout America?

No, don't give me the crap that if I don't want to hear it, I simply don't have to tune into it. Our society has become inundated in foul language and vulgar behavior for so long already, that is inescapable unless one wishes to go live as recluse by himself in a cave somewhere.

It's not unreasonable to desire to be able to watch a good movie without foul language. I could understand the plot and appreciate the special stunts just a well without every 4th word out of Al Pacino, Eddie Murphy, or any other actor's mouth having to be the F word or somebody calling somebody else a vagina with a P.

No, I will not miss George Carlin.

George Carlin was a flithy mouthed jerk...his comedy was not all that funny either, mostly stuff that drunks in a bar would find funny!!

Pity!!

George Carlin was a flithy mouthed jerk...his comedy was not all that funny either, mostly stuff that drunks in a bar would find funny!!

Pity!!

I found him funny. Remember his skit about flying in the plane not on the plane?

I don't care for foul mouth comedians but some of his stuff was quite funny. Besides, we should speak well of the dead. They have people who loved them.

Concho Bill

I think most of you still do not get the message George Carlin was trying to deliver. It wasn't about filthy or vile language, it was about censorship. The 7 words was the electric shock to get your attention. Who would have listened otherwise. It's amazing to me how little things have improved since. In 2008, thirty years later, the 7 dirty words are different, and that's about all.

I suppose you also think that Rosa Park's bus ride in 1955 was about the need for more public transportation. :rolleyes:

ray

Last edited by a moderator:
To disagree or agree

with the use of language by George Carlin is a right we all have. To call him filthy or a jerk is not something we have the right to do. How many of you brave souls would say those things to his face? Why can't you let the guy rest in peace. The people who enjoyed his humor for so many years will truly miss him. The ones who can only find fault, take a good look in a mirror.

Back