Gene beggs on chambering

Gene Beggs

This subject has been covered many times in depth here on the forum. I can't add much to what has already been said, but I've developed a trick or two of my own that I would like to share with you. After a comment I made yesterday, several asked me to describe my method of chambering, so here goes FWIW. :)

There are basically two methods of chambering:

1. Thru the headstock.

2. In the steady rest.

Some insist the thru-the-headstock method is the only way, while others, myself included, feel the steady rest method is every bit as good. The truth is, everyone has their own way of doing things. I have used both methods and am comfortable with either but prefer the steady rest. Regardless of how it's done, what really matters is how the rifle shoots and handles.

My lathe is a JET 13x40 gear-head. I bought it new in '02 and have been fairly happy with it although, I wish I had spent twice the money and got a better quality machine. With the constant starting and stopping involved in barrel work, my original motor didn't last long. I replaced it with a WEG and have had no more trouble. If I were to buy a new lathe today, I would choose one made in Taiwan.

For the most part, I use a Bison six-inch, six-jaw, adjust-tru chuck and occassionaly an eight-inch four jaw. Reamers are JGS and PTG.

Many questions have been asked lately about chamber runout and how to prevent it. I'll tell you how I do it.

Let's fit up and chamber a barrel using the steady rest method. We will use a Kelbly/Stolle Panda action with a PPC bolt face. The barrel is a new cut-rifled 6mm 13.5 twist LV with a .237 bore.

Before we begin, be sure the lathe is level, the set-tru chuck dialed in and the tailstock spindle centered.

Run a patch thru the barrel to be sure it's clean. This is the time to determine which reamer pilot to use. I believe most will agree, you should select a pilot .0002 smaller than the one that won't go. I use a PTG range rod to try the pilot. For the .237 bore, I have found a .2369 pilot fits perfectly.

The rifle will be chambered in 6mm Beggs with a .269 neck. Since it will be a Sporter, we will finish the barrel at 22" measured from bolt face to crown.

We will use only about 2.500 inches of the straight, untapered portion of the barrel at the chamber end so let's cut off the excess in the bandsaw.

Place the breech end of the barrel in the chuck and tighten lightly; we will tighten securely later.

Place the live center in the muzzle and secure the tailstock. Keep the extension of the tailstock spindle as short as possible for added rigidity.

Grasp the barrel in the middle and press back firmly against the live center as you loosen the chuck and rotate the barrel slightly in the chuck jaws before tightening. Check the tension on the live center; it should be firm but not too tight. Lock the tailstock spindle.

Turn the forward two inches of the muzzle just enough to clean it up which insures this journal is true and concentric with the bore. I like to use a freshly sharpened HSS tool for this taking light cuts to minimize push off.

Chuck the chamber end of the barrel with about one inch protruding and face the ragged surface left by the bandsaw. With a sixty degree, piloted center drill, put a fresh center in the chamber end of the bore.

Place the muzzle in the chuck leaving about .750 of the previously turned journal exposed and the chamber end of the barrel supported in the live center. Grasp the barrel in the middle and press back firmly against the live center, loosen the chuck slightly and rotate the barrel in the chuck to be sure it's not in a bind and tighten the chuck. With a dial indicator resting on the .750 length of the muzzle, make final adjustments to the set-tru chuck to get the muzzle running true. The barrel will not be removed from the chuck until the chamber and tenon are finished.

Using a freshly sharpened HSS tool, take light cuts and just barely true up the aft end of the barrel for about .750 or so. We will run the steady rest on this area while chambering, which we will do next. What? :eek: You mean you are not going to complete the tenon and thread before reaming the chamber? :eek: Nope! This is where I deviate from the norm. We will ream the chamber to about 85 or ninety percent depth before we do the tenon.

Regardless of whether you are chambering thru the headstock or in the steady rest, the reamer follows the bore; how could it do otherwise? If the bore wanders off a bit the nose of the reamer follows and the back end is deflected in the opposite direction. This is where the runout comes from. When the chamber is cut to about ninety percent depth, it is not unusual for the aft end to be running out .003 to .004 TIR, sometimes as much as .005 or .006. Don't be alarmed; this is all well and good and will be compensated for when the tenon is turned and threaded.

With the chamber almost finished we will now turn the tenon to final diameter (1.062) and thread 18 TPI. Remember that the muzzle end of the barrel is left undisturbed in the chuck until the tenon and chamber are finished.

I thread and chamber at 60 rpm. I cut straight in on the threads rather than using the 29 degree cut with the compound. Since I don't do this for a living, I take my time with the threads starting out with .010 to .015 depth of cut for the first two or three passes. Of course, with most lathe crossfeeds this means the actual depth of cut is half that. As the threads get deeper, I take progressively smaller cuts, the last three or four passes being only .001 at a time and I chase the last two or three passes to eliminate pushoff. I use a thread mike and rarely have to make more than two trial fits to get the fit just right. Once the threads are cut to final depth, I take a light skim cut off the tops to smooth and even them out before polishing with 320 grit and a Cratex stick. Time to cut the 30 degree cone.

Put the live center in the tenon and place the steady rest so it runs on top of the threads. Adjust and secure the steady rest fingers and then slide the tailstock out of the way. Oh, BTW, I lube the tenon well with a fifty-fifty mixture of motor oil and STP. Works good! :)

Set the compound to 30 degrees and with a small boring bore cutting from the bore out, take a few cuts but leave the cone short of final depth. We will see how much further we need to cut by making a trial fit in the receiver.

Remove the firing pin assembly, spray the bolt face with brake cleaner and dry with compressed air. You'll find out why in a minute.

Screw the action onto the threads but not all the way. Place the stripped bolt into the receiver and snug the action up by hand so the bolt nose presses against the cone. Measure the gap between the tenon shoulder and receiver face with a thickness gauge. That measurement plus .007 is the amount that must be cut off the cone. Once the cut is made, take a small length of lead squirt obtained from your buddy that makes bullets and tape it to the bolt face with a small piece of masking tape and lap it over the bolt nose. After the action is snugged up hand tight on the tenon, insert and close the bolt which will squeeze the lead squirt between the cone and bolt nose. Measure this flattened lead squirt with a dial caliper to get the distance between the cone and bolt nose. Some prefer only .005 here, others will accept .010 to .015. I shoot for .007 but am happy with .010.

Once the tenon and cone are finished, it's time to finish the chamber. Place the 'GO' gauge in the chamber, screw the action onto the threads with the bolt closed and snug it up against the gauge. If you have done everything right up to this point, you will have somewhere around a .050 to .060 gap between the tenon shoulder and face of the receiver. Measure this gap with a thickness gauge. That is how much deeper the reamer must be run to finish the chamber. I usually cut about .002 more to compensate for crush when the barrel is torqued up tight with the action wrench.

Well guys, that's about all I know about it. Hope this helps. If you have any questions we can discuss them in the posts below.

Adios for now

Gene Beggs

Last edited:
Good morning guys

In this article about chambering, I decided to keep it all on one post by adding to the original each day. I think that will make it more convenient and easier to follow. If any of you have comments, questions, or spot anything I am mistaken about feel free to bring it to my attention and I'll revise the original. I know some of you will be making copies of this and I'll do my best to keep it free of errors. Bear in mind that I'm not an expert and some of this is my opinion only. There are other ways of doing things but this is the way I do it. :)

Oh, BTW, don't make any copies of post number one until we get it finished. I'm sure there will be several additions and corrections before I'm satisfied with it. Bear with me.

Gene Beggs

Last edited:
Gene...please describe the reamer holder you are using...

Eddie in Texas

Gene...please describe the reamer holder you are using...

Eddie in Texas

Eddie, I use an el cheapo tap handle. I measured it today and it is nine inches long. Both handles are knurled. I don't remember where I got it.

The handles had 1/8" holes drilled in them but I enlarged them to 5/32" so the tommy bars I use with my tuners will fit. I always have a couple of them in my pocket. I fit the tap handle into the flat ground into the reamer stem and tighten the heck out of it with the tommy bars; I don't want it coming loose and dropping my reamer on the floor.

I position the cross slide behind the steady rest out of the way of the reaming operation. I don't want anything back there in the way that might hang up if the reamer grabs and jerks out of my hand. I hold the tap handle by curling my fingers around the lower handle and putting my thumb against the top handle. I think this is important. If you hold only one handle out near the tip it puts a side load on the reamer which I don't think is a good idea.

Gene Beggs

Gene:
Great post. Do I understand that you chamber and then thread the tenon last?

That is correct Fred. I ream the chamber just short of full depth before I turn the tenon to final diameter and thread. After finishing the tenon, I put the 'GO' gauge in the chamber and screw the action onto the tenon with the bolt in the receiver then measure the gap between the barrel shoulder and receiver face with a thickness gauge. That tells me how much deeper I have to go.

"Place the live center in the muzzle and secure the tailstock. Keep the extension of the tailstock spindle as short as possible for added rigidity."

Are you assuming the factory cut center in the muzzle end of the barrel is true to the bore or do you not think this is important?

"Place the live center in the muzzle and secure the tailstock. Keep the extension of the tailstock spindle as short as possible for added rigidity."

Are you assuming the factory cut center in the muzzle end of the barrel is true to the bore or do you not think this is important?

Jim, I was waiting for someone to point that out and rightfully so. Although the center put in the muzzle by the barrel maker is probably more than adequate, it only takes a moment to freshen it up. Probably a good idea. :) It's nice to know someone is paying close attention.

I just wonder how many have tried this method of chambering, i.e., reaming the chamber first and then creating the tenon? I hear lots of comments about runout in the finished chamber but no one mentions anything about how they are measuring it. Runout relative to what? :confused:

After the chamber is reamed to near finish depth, I put the live center in the aft end without chamfering. I feel if I were to cut a chamfer with the aft end of the chamber running out .003 or .004 thousandths I would stand a good chance of inducing runout in the finished tenon. Some may be concerned about putting the live center into a razor sharp corner but I have never had a problem with it. The barrel material is much softer than the tool steel point of the live center.

Gene. Would you be willing to post some pics for the chambering challanged such as myself. I picked up a victor 16x40 2yrs ago and have still yet to even try chambering. Now I have built my new shop and gathered all the tooling I want to take it on. Thanks justin

Gene. Would you be willing to post some pics for the chambering challanged such as myself. I picked up a victor 16x40 2yrs ago and have still yet to even try chambering. Now I have built my new shop and gathered all the tooling I want to take it on. Thanks justin

Justin, I would be happy to post pictures if I knew how to do it, but I don't. Boyd Allen did his best to help me learn but I guess I really didn't want to or I would have. Getting old has its privileges; if you don't want to do something you don't.

Best of luck to you with your new shop and learning how to do your own gunsmithing. A Victor 16X40 should be ideal for barrel work. You will find lots of information today on chambering; it's not rocket science. If I were you, I would get the videos on chambering from Greg Tannel and Gordy Gritters and have at it! :D

Gene Beggs

Mr Beggs this is the easiest site i have found to post pics ! Just 3 easy steps and the pic is posted on this site! I think you will enjoy it and for me add another dimension to your post -not that anything or anymore is needed.... Some of us learners like pictures.,

There is nothing join, NO MEMBERSHIP. There is a "browse box" to find and upload your pic. Another box for resizing - i like pic size 640X480. When the pic uploads their are options for coping the code automatically. use the 5th code down -HOTLINK FOR FORUMS (1)

This is the most simple way to post pics on the net! joe

just click your mouse where you want the pic and click paste it's there!

here is an example:

free image upload

dude...... y'er not lissening!!

If Boyd couldn't help him (and believe me, Boyd has spent some time with me on the subject...) he's beyond help!

:)

I personally think the problem often lies in storage and retrieval of the pix...... you'se guys say "go get pix" and guys like me try it and they're in the wrong format. Or when I go "browse pix" it doesn't find them where I've got them stored.....

etc

etc

LOL

al

sorry....................................... joe

Hey Joe, I've got a better deal for you than pictures. How 'bout a hands-on, one-on-one demonstration. I notice you live in Texas so a drive out I-20 to Odessa would be no big deal. Come on out and I'll let you shoot in the tunnel as well. :D

Gene Beggs

Good reading, Gene. Thanks for doing this. -Al

P.S. If you'd like to post pics, the simplest way I've found is to use a hosting site like Photobucket.com. Once you have sent them there, it's a two click deal to add them into a post here on BRC. I'd be happy to walk you though the steps, if you like. Or, you can email them to me and I'll add them into the thread for 'ya. :)

Gene, this thread just shows there are more than one way to skin a cat and come up with similar results. I've chambered basically the same way you are doing cutting a barrel tenon about .010" over what the finished tenon will be when it's threaded. Run the steady rest on the oversize tenon, run the reamer in a little ways short of full depth, cut the tenon down to size and then cut the threads to where they will screw onto the action and any cone or counterbore done at this time as well. Fit the barrel with a go gage and measure the gap between the barrel shoulder and then run the reamer in the amount indicated by the feeler gage or a thousandth or two deeper to allow for everything tightening up when the barrel is tightened to the action. Bill Massey chambered like this for years never even using a dial indicator to check anything.

I prefer chambering in the headstock on one setup instead of the multiple setups necessary when chambering in the steady rest. Does it make a difference in how the barrel shoots? Probably not. How much runout or lack of runout on a finished chamber is immaterial. The only measurement that matters for a benchrest shooter is the center to center distance between the widest two bullet holes on paper. They either shoot or they don't. The gunsmiths job is to do the best that he can to make the barrels he chambers fit into the former category instead of the latter. I do believe that to chamber in the headstock you have to have a lathe with very good bearings. On a loose lathe with wear, the gunsmith may be better off chambering in the steady rest. There are right ways and wrong ways to chambering a barrel. There are also different ways which doesn't mean that it's wrong, just a different way to get to basically the same result.

I'd suggest to anyone that is going to do his own gunsmithing to understand what you are trying to achieve when chambering and doing the work on your barrels. Read everything you can about it, talk to everyone that you can about it, then try the different methods and then use what works the best with your lathe and your setups. If you think of something that you want to try, then try it and see if it helps. If it doesn't, discard it. If it helps, use it.

Gene has the ability to test what he does in a controlled atmosphere which most of us don't have. It would definitely be pretty convenient when setting up bullet dies to be able to make a change to the seating pressure, point up a few bullets and shoot them in a tunnel to test the bullets before making up a batch.

Hey Joe, I've got a better deal for you than pictures. How 'bout a hands-on, one-on-one demonstration. I notice you live in Texas so a drive out I-20 to Odessa would be no big deal. Come on out and I'll let you shoot in the tunnel as well. :D

Gene Beggs

Gene that is a very generous offer, thank you. I'm not too good with traveling at this time with health issues. There would be a wealth of knowledge i can learn from you and i appreciate the offer. Maybe this spring i would be up for some traveling if it would be ok for me to check back in with you. I would love to spend the day with you out out at your place.
thanks you for the invite!~ joe

Back