GD 503 Powder Scales

H

Horsky

For the people who purchased the GD 503 powder scales, is it too soon for a review. Does it work as good as advertised.
Thanks
Horace Amason

Real good info. Sounds like a few happy people out there.

Thanks

the review listed above has a big error in it and it is worth noting.
the acculab 123 is plus or minus 0.2 accuracy and 0.3 sensitivity....
you do not add the two together....you use the larger of the two.
so the poster claimed 0.05 accuracy with the 123 when in fact the scale is 0.03.....
the 503 is actually 0.0015 not .001.....
so it takes three time the money to get from .03 to .015.....300 to 900 dollars....
twice the accuracy, three times the cost.....
me thinks if he had simply gone to the lee perfect with the 123 he would be close to where he is at, for less money and plenty accurate enough for f class.

mike in co

if you look at his data for the 123 , the first 7 readings are good, and then 8.9/10 are similar but out of wack with 1thru 6. to me it is obvious that the scale lost its zero. plain and simple it need a rezero.
i do not have the issues other claim to have with the 123 series of scales.

i will agree his test is unreal for shooters...how many of you load 1500gr loads day in and day out.

a nice 30 gr or 50 gr or 70 grain test would be good.

still say the 503 is over kill for the sport and over cost for the average shooter.

mike in co

if you look at his data for the 123 , the first 7 readings are good, and then 8.9/10 are similar but out of wack with 1thru 6. to me it is obvious that the scale lost its zero. plain and simple it need a rezero.mike in co

without checking it against a better scale how would he have known that the scale started to drift. he could tare but would he need to do it after every weighing?

I don't know enough about digital scales so if the GD503 is too costly and too many people have issues with the ACCU 123

would this model be a compromise. it has the magnetic force restoration over the strain gauge of the acculab. http://balance.balances.com/scales/1223/
A&D FX-120i reloading scales it costs $659.. i would really like your thoughts mike

Thanks
Trevor

as soon as a scale shows a wiehgt out of spec for a know wieght object, i would look for an issue and rewiegh....plain and simple...if it don't look right try again. that maybe out side the intent of his test, but obvious in actual use.
again the test wieght size is an issue to me...not reasonable in out world.

i'll look at it , but it seems from posts that the gempro 250 is doing well and priced right......
good enough for all but the very best shooters.
i'll be back
mike in co

that is a lot of scale for the money, but i could not justify it....but i'm broke.
i think you should try the gempro250 first...if it does not trip your trigger , well make the jump to hyperspace and buy this.
my 123 sits on a 48 lb granite surface plate. is on all the time and ready to use.
i zero it with a pan, if it does not go back to zero plus or minus .02, i start over. yes it happens OCASSIONAL...not often.....in a 50 round load maybe once.
i dump from my harrell's, wiegh, finger trickle in addional powder, and let it sit....some small adds take time to respond. if its good, i pour into case and set the pan back on the scale. if it zeros , i move on, if not i start over.( since i know the negative zero weight of the pan, i can often see if there is an issue before replacing the pan)
i hear all these issues with the 123 series, but i like mine.
i know jackie bought the next one up..a 153 i think. 0.001 accuracy. i think he likes his, but i know he still does some loading at the range with a powder drop.
maybe he'll add his 2 cents worth to this.
mike in co
would this model be a compromise. it has the magnetic force restoration over the strain gauge of the acculab. http://balance.balances.com/scales/1223/
A&D FX-120i reloading scales it costs $659..
Thanks
Trevor

thanks for your imput much appreciated.

I also have a heavy piece of granite and I use a tuned beam scale with a computer cam, I have a 32 inch monitor so i can see every kernel (varget) deflect the beam and when i do my part even IMR 8208.

I was looking at digital for the nth degree of certainty as i am an F class shooter and the 1,000 yard line is where vertical is most pronounced.

Thanks
Trevor

Last edited:
i have the accu 123 also and i guess the continuing to Zero, waiting for it to settle down after small adds, and if it don't look right start over is my biggest problem. i have ordered the GD503 and it should be here tomorrow. Maybe a waste of money but we will see. If it doesn't do what I expect it to do I guess I will continue to look.

my 2 cents worth.....
you can do well enough...much better than the plus or minus 0.1 most loaders are doing, with the 123 and then you could do a lot of shooting with hundreds spent on the 503....
again just my opinion.
have fun with the new toy
mike in co

i have the accu 123 also and i guess the continuing to Zero, waiting for it to settle down after small adds, and if it don't look right start over is my biggest problem. i have ordered the GD503 and it should be here tomorrow. Maybe a waste of money but we will see. If it doesn't do what I expect it to do I guess I will continue to look.

i received my GD503 scales this past Monday. Unpack and set up Friday afternoon. Turned on for 24 hours per their instructions. Started loading with it this morning. For me this is a awesome set of scales. Money well spent for me anyway and will be shooting a lot more because of them. Thanks for the reading links provided.
Horace Amason

They no longer make or sell the GD 503…….. but a good replacement is The FX 120 i sold out of Canada for 400.00 it has a magnetic force registration as the GD503 had and 600.00 cheaper…….. jim

It is only accurate to .02 Gr. same as a 400.00 A&D FX120i……. A GD 503 is accurate to .005 Gr. in other words more than twice as accurate…. jim

Back