Gathering info. for wind flag article ...Help!!

With my extremely light flags and nearly frictionless pivots the tail never leads the flag.

I also think it is a big advantage having a propellor that is very light and designed with proper respect for aerodynamic principles. I don't know if I have ever seen a situation where my props were not turning. I have seen lots of situations where the std daisies were not turning.

Windflag/Windicator

Here is one of my set-ups. The flag pivot is on a bearing (thrust bearing) the daisy is on a bearing also - both the daisy and the flag itself is balanced. I used ribbon in this picture, but have used sail tails for the last few years....much better. The thing underneath is a Windicator.

Scott

windicatorpicou1.jpg

Here's a photo of a windsock style of windflag that I've been using since last summer. I sewed six of them from black and orange 1.1 oz./sq.yd. silnylon. It reacts very quickly to direction changes and the angle it hangs is about the same as the sail tails I used to use.

2516523081_84de8ed6c7_o.jpg

Jerry

Last edited:
Love those flags...

Ed Watson won 28 HOF points using this flag (click here) with a braided yarn tail. He preferred the yarn as it wasn't as sensitive as other common materials.

Tony Boyer has 111 HOF points largely using Smiley Hensley's flags - which are your basic pivot on a point daisy wheel doomers.

How did/do these two guys shoot so well with such simple devices?

You can have the best windflags made, but if you don't set behind them enough it don't matter. You need to understand what they are telling you.
Butch

While we are at it, whose stands or poles do you use and/or like? (The ones that I have are OK, but I wouldn't say that I think that they are the best.) Also, what are the highest poles or stands that you have needed, and on what range? If the stands are not readily available, please give the source. Do you use stand weights, hold downs, etc.? What about methods of plumbing (making perpendicular to level in all directions) the pivot? How do you prefer flags to be balanced?

I agree with Jackie. The conditions often dictate which flag to use. High winds....I think the ball up front works best...

Here is a small video clip on the flags at the '05 Worlds in Ohio. Take a good look at all the flags for responsiveness. I've temporarily stopped making the flags (2, 3 prop and ball flags) due to costs, but I am revisiting offering them. The prices are outdated.

http://www.rpsinternational.com/WindFlags.html

Boyd, I have both light stands and poles put in with spikes. Going with them being perpendicular, I have a couple tools with a bubble level on them. With the light stands you can go to B&H camera and get ball swivels to put on top to level your flags. Of course you need flags to go from about a foot high to my tallest at 13'. I prefer the flags to be slightly tail heavy to minimize the windshield wiper effect. I do not like daiseys as they are slow to start and stop. They can hide your vanes in a tailwind and make the angles hard to see. A white border around your vanes make them easier to see especially if you have them lined up. They don't all blend in.
Several different designs of flags have been used to win and set records. This is just what I like personally and why.
Butch

Joe,
You picked a good flag to copy. Just like the Aussie flags that have been around for years, just a different color. Copying is flattery.
Butch
www.shadetreeea.com

Butch, actually we didn't copy the flag you are selling. I had purchased a set of flags from a fellow in NZ (I believe....might be wrong) and improved that design. I wasn't pleased with the quality so I decided to make my own. I believe that fellow may have copied the 2 prop aussie design, however I am not certain. In any case I liked the general style. I used the 2 blade layout as well as my own 3 blade propellor.

The flags I made/have made do not utilize roller type bearings. Amazingly the flags I make have excellent unrivaled responsiveness and are maintenance free I might add. I shot next to the beautifully made Aussie flags at the worlds. The movie footage from the '05 worlds on my site shows their flag as well.

I haven't had a chance to make more flags but still hope to one of these days...

I know what you mean about flattery as my flag style has been reproduced as well. Not sure on the quality...but they are out there..

Last edited:
Joe,
I wish that they could be made more inexpensively also. There are some things that you cannot cut corners on as you know.
Butch

Butch, I couldn't agree more! I am struggling to keep prices down, but in todays world it is pretty darn hard....

Boyd,

The best development in wind flags in the last twenty years is the Wind Probe.

You might want to cover Probes in your article.

Dick

Dick,
Of course I will. By flags, I mean anything that can be used to "look" at the wind during a match or practice. Heck, I may digress into stories of helium balloons and smoke pots. It is my intent to make this article as complete as possible, including discussion of Hensler's "trot lines" and electronic "flags". It will take me longer to do this than a little article on standard flags, but the pay is so good, I can afford to take my time.;)

BTW, how about a little history lesson? When did individuals start putting flags out a matches? Who were the pioneers?

Last edited:
I made the mistake of starting this thread when a lot of your were at the Super Shoot, so I am bumping it back to the top, this one time, not in resposnse to a post, but to try to gather information and insight from those who were at the match. What I have gotten so far, here and by email, has been excellent. In addition to general flag information, what about some observations about flags that you saw at Kelbly's?

Windflags at SS

I saw a flag at the Super Shoot that was new to me. I've never seen them advertised not could anyone I asked tell me anything about them? You can find a photo of them in the thread titled "Super Shoot Pictures" by Glen Chism. The second photo down you can see a solid red wind flag with a small verticle wing. Anyone know about or have opinions on these. I will bring the Super Shoot Photos to the top for quick reference. Thanks.

Francis sent me some pictures, attached to an email, showing flags that looked just like that. If you like, and it is OK with him, I can post them.
Boyd

Francis' email and flag pics

Attached are pictures of our flags and set up for putting them into place. Our flags were made by Jim Boettcher of Enon, Ohio some time ago. They are balsa and light and respond to wind changes as quickly as any we've seen or used.
Picture #1 shows the components ready for assembly. Included is the flag itself, the flagpole, the stand, and the #5 re-bar we use to drive the stands into the ground. The flag poles are extension golf ball retriever poles. These can be purchased in different sizes capable of extending from 18 inches to over 22 feet. To set up, we have one guy remain at the bench while the other takes all the components down range. As he goes down range he drops a flag, pole, and stand at 12 yards, 27-30 yards, 47-50 yards, 67-70 yards, and 85-87 yards. If there are significant terrain features that warrant placement in different locations we set the flags accordingly. For 200 yards we just about double those placement figures. We still keep one at about 12 yards but then the placement is 12 yards, 45-50 yards, 100-115 yards, 145 yards, 180 yards.
The person downrange then places the re-bar where the man at the bench directs him. He holds the re-bar by one end and it acts like a plumb bob so that the stand will be driven erect. He drives the stand into the ground places the pole and flag in the stand and moves one stand closer to the bench. Photo 003 shows the re-bar being used as a driver for the stand. We like to place the flags on a line from the right edge of the target to a point just to the left of the left edge of the bench. In this configuration the shooter can see all flags at once. Photos 004, 005, and 006 show the flags again and the placement of the flags completed and as the shooter would see them. We keep the farthest flag at maximum legal heighth and as we get closer to the bench the flags are slightly lower so that they are visible to the shooter.
Flags001-copy.jpg

Flags003-copy.jpg

Flags004-copy.jpg

Flags005-copy.jpg

Flags006-copy.jpg

Back