Gap space, and that dirty little corner

Carbon

I first heard about carbon build up in1965 during Army basic training. The rifle we used was the M-14 combat rifle. The Military experts called it Carbon and explained to us trainee's that carbon deposits needed to be periodically cleaned from the Gas cylinders in the M-14 rifle. We spent countless hours disassembling and cleaning the M-14. After basic training,we were issued the M-16. The Military experts again explained that the Carbon deposits needed to be routinely removed from the gas cylinders in the M-16 for proper function. We were issued a small rifle cleaning kit that contained cleaning solvent and an assortment of tools for cleaning your rifle. The cleaning solvent came in a small metal can ,painted army green, It smelled and looked exactly like Hoppes#9 solvent. When used as instructed,it removed carbon deposits.

The next time I heard about Carbon was in 1969. The US Government firearm experts called the "baked on" sooty looking stuff on Pistol Revolver cylinders,"Carbon". The firearms instructors recommended the use of Hoppes#9 and a wire brush for cleaning these stubborn deposits. Today,there are special tools and a variety of chemicals available that quickly remove what's still described as "Carbon" in firearm cleaning. I still use Hoppes#9 and a wire brush, It worked in 1965 and it works today. It just takes a little longer.

I've been using a cleaning regimen recommended by a veteran Benchrest shooter(Hall Of Fame) for the past 12 years. For some reason, his recommendations did not include addressing carbon buildup in the chamber.

This is an interesting topic.

Glenn

Last edited:
Back