FX Smooth Twist Barrel's at FX Factory being made and tested by Himself Freedric Axel

Watching the video for the novice is probably most comforting and exciting. I had to smile as I have been associated with superior benchrest barrel making for 40 plus years. When you attempt to straighten a bbl as shown with the indicator on the outside of the bbl it tells you nothing about how straight the inside is even if turned on centers. I have seen bbls straightened in this manner as to fit equally in the the stock bbl channel but that's all. Bbl makers and great smiths know only rototating the bbl and observing how straight the inside is determines how good the bbl most likley will be. I seriously doubt if FX barrels are anything we need to be concerned about at this time if the present method of straightning is used.

frank

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking the same thing when I watched him straighten the outside.
Dan

Watching the video for the novice is probably most comforting and exciting. I had to smile as I have been associated with superior benchrest barrel making for 40 plus years. When you attempt to straighten a bbl as shown with the indicator on the outside of the bbl it tells you nothing about how straight the inside is even if turned on centers. I have seen bbls straightened in this manner as to fit equally in the the stock bbl channel but that's all. Bbl makers and great smiths know only rototating the bbl and observing how straight the inside is determines how good the bbl most likley will be. I seriously doubt if FX barrels are anything we need to be concerned about at this time if the present method of straightning is used.

frank

Dan & Frank; I thought I read Somewhere the Barrels are Tubes made in Germany,not deep drilling. Would that be OK for straighting outside or not?.....Franky

Air rifle barrels made both ways, conventional deep drilling then button rifle or seamless tube - rifled. Have not heard about any cut rifled or hammer forged. Not sure how the polygon are made

Good one Franky. I don't know how the tubes are manufactured but it may be a process that insures a concentric hole. If that is the case then Frederik's method is valid.
BSA barrels are hammer forged. I believe the LW polygons are buttoned. I have a Krieger cut rifling barrel that was made with my specs for .22 cal air gun. Looks like the bases are covered concerning air guns.
Dan

Dan & Frank; I thought I read Somewhere the Barrels are Tubes made in Germany,not deep drilling. Would that be OK for straighting outside or not?.....Franky

I had opportunity to speak with Fred not so long ago about is barrels. He starts with i tube, spec'd to have very consistent and concentric wall thickness.

I have a number of barrels that I well be testing . I hope to get some work done on it soon . Well let you all know how it works out . Rick

Anyone have a used 22 tight bore rimfire barrel they want to donate? It does not have to be choked. I have some experiments I want to try and when I get done it will not be usable.

Barrel steel is special in nature and consistancy and is expensive because it has to be so consistant . It is real hard to get steel that reams, drills and buttons the same producing same diameter bores per lot of steel. This is one of the reasons barrel manufactures buy in such large quantities. To insure just that.
Small diameter barrels such as our air rifle ones I doubt fall under the same criteria at this time and place . That may change down the road we will have to see what emerges. Now if the material is and I suspect it is around 25 Rockwell and without any special criteria or certs attached to it I suspect we have pretty much commercially drawn, drilled or reamed tubes perhaps centerless ground OD's and I would question the means of insuring very consistant wall thickness............well let's see what unfolds. Great tubes certainly can be made. The question is will some manufacturer address the problem........Perhaps we will get lucky.

Frank

Franky,how do you find this stuff? Think many of those 1956 barrels are still seeing action?I have a .630"lw on my m-rod,I think its a good barrel but am wondering if the
polygon would be better?Dan,did that Krieger shoot well? thanks,mark

The Kreiger is probably the best shooting air gun barrel I've ever used.
Dan

Franky,how do you find this stuff? Think many of those 1956 barrels are still seeing action?I have a .630"lw on my m-rod,I think its a good barrel but am wondering if the
polygon would be better?Dan,did that Krieger shoot well? thanks,mark

Guys, for what it's worth.

I have a friend in Russia currently their countries champion. He is a bit like us making and playing with the state of the art making the better mousetrap. A very talented shooter. Carl Boswell introduced him to me a couple of years ago after seeing one of his guns on the cover of Airgun magazine. Carl's comments were"Yes I know him very well he has beat my ass a number of times" Alex is now using CZ hammer forged barrels. He holds 2 of the top 3 places with his guns in the Russia with his guns and CZ barrels. He states they are far superior to LW for benchrest work. He sent me a target with 2 groups that did not go .080
I am in the process of trying to find where to get the barrels.
Frank

Frank

I tested the twist rate on a .177 smooth twist barrel yesterday, anyone want to guess what it is?
Dan

Guys, for what it's worth.

I have a friend in Russia currently their countries champion. He is a bit like us making and playing with the state of the art making the better mousetrap. A very talented shooter. Carl Boswell introduced him to me a couple of years ago after seeing one of his guns on the cover of Airgun magazine. Carl's comments were"Yes I know him very well he has beat my ass a number of times" Alex is now using CZ hammer forged barrels. He holds 2 of the top 3 places with his guns in the Russia with his guns and CZ barrels. He states they are far superior to LW for benchrest work. He sent me a target with 2 groups that did not go .080
I am in the process of trying to find where to get the barrels.
Frank

Frank

Not blanks but same barrels used in CZ200. Www.euroshooting.eu. Email: varga@iol.cz (secretary/PA is called Sarka). I was told 130 euro apiece, minimum 2. Several UK guys trying to get blanks I.e. not already machined but havent been able to secure any. I contacted CZ USA and no dice.

Here's a thread that mentions using them in a few builds.

http://www.airrifle.co.za/showthread.php?t=27174&highlight=blank

Frank, Any ides as to what pellets work for him in the CZ barrels? DB just fit one to my gun but I haven't found the golden BB for it yet! The stock LW out shoots it so far, 749-53X is my best to date. As far as ST barrels go, I've tried 3, each one being worst than the one before it, with the last one being downright pathetic! Just my experience don't shoot the messenger!

Mark

Back