Frozen Aircraft................

brian roberts

Engines, that is.

Thought this might be of interest to some of you; it seems there is now definitive evidence that there are some material phase changes ocurring that have, till now, been dismissed as impossible.....

http://www.victor-aviation.com/Cryogenic_NDT.php

Mr. Sloan is measuring the velocity of sound through material, real-time during processing, and identifying phase changes realized that had previously been dismissed as impossible, and not ocurring, at temps below zero, Farenheit.

The process, offered on higher-end remanufacturing of A/C engines by Victor Aviation, has been well-received by numerous discerning pilots.

Mr. Sloan is measuring the velocity of sound through material, real-time during processing, and identifying phase changes realized that had previously been dismissed as impossible, and not ocurring, at temps below zero, Farenheit. The process, offered on higher-end remanufacturing of A/C engines by Victor Aviation, has been well-received by numerous discerning pilots.

:cool: ... But where does the firearms topic come into play? :confused:

Just mount............

The firearms on your A/C Abe!

Actually, I don't have the background in math that Victor does, but it is showing significant increases in wear resistance and a moderation of extraneous noise and vibration.

Murray State College has a physicist at another institution nearby that has written some programs to measure where a muzzle "stops" after firing, to see if there's any predictability apparent; and this will be performed on barrels that are unprocessed, then again after processing, then once more after meloniting, so there are sure to be some interesting events this coming year, metallurgically, for shooters in the areas of wear resistance, accuracy life, and I wouldn't doubt some other interesting things we haven't even thought of yet.

Barrel wear is primarily due to chemical interaction of powder gasses with steel at high temperature. Find a material that doesn't nitride or carburize like steel does, and wear rate goes down. Rhenium and tungsten are two good candidates, but you and I can't afford them. Chromium lining and Stellite inserts are used by the military, but accuracy can suffer as a result. Ceramic barrels have been tried - they work, but life is short due to fracture. Nitride treatments work, so long as the layer remains intact. (Melonite is a variation, as it apparently is a nitrocarburizing of the bore.)

For more on the subject on barrel wear, see "Gun Propulsion Technology", Volume 109 of Progress in Astronautics and Avionics, edited by Ludwig Stiefel. A university with a science or engineering branch should have this document available. Outside of a library, good luck. Copies are available - if you are willing to pay over $4000 for one.

DISCLAIMER - I am a metallurgist by education, though have never practiced as one. I have read this book.

........identifying phase changes realized that had previously been dismissed as impossible, and not ocurring, at temps below zero, Farenheit.

The process, offered on higher-end reman....... etc etc

"previously thought impossible"

?????????

Where do you get this stuff???

NO ONE has ever dismissed cryogenics as "producing no discernable changes" in any venue have they??? It's OLD tech, USEFUL tech, thoroughly explored and in common usage in many industries.

It's your assertion that it helps barrels that guys like myownself argue with.....

Do a teeny innernet search dude. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryogenic_tempering it's accepted practice for certain applications.

It's something that makes someone feel better about their barrel.......that's my opinion.

I'd like something I don't currently have that's gonna help make me shoot better.

I already know what that is.....I just don't have much of it.

Back