Front rest for custom rimfire

Sg5022.dave

I'm going to purchase a new front rest for a custom rimfire and need input on whether to purchase a randolph machine or Farley. Any experienced input would be appreciated.

First you need to decide if you are a joystick person or a knob twister, and that's hard to do without actually using them both. Also, most competitive rimfires use one-piece rests and you may want to go that way.

First you need to decide if you are a joystick person or a knob twister, and that's hard to do without actually using them both. Also, most competitive rimfires use one-piece rests and you may want to go that way.

The only one piece I noticed was a Pappas. Are there more options and if so, who makes them?

Randolph makes one piece also, Hall makes a nice one also, go to Killough shooting sports. He has a couple brands.

Rest Choice

What class you shoot may determine whether you need a one piece or a 2 piece...........you can shoot all classes with a 2 piece.
How quick you want one may be a factor.

What earlm said makes sense to me. Alternatively, if you plan to shoot ARA only and think you're going to shoot for a while then you would likely want a one piece rest - which I don't know anything about. The reason that you'll need one of those is that you'll get beat by somebody that has one and that will be it - you'll need one. Never mind about the hundred times you won - you'll need one!

Again, read what earlm said.

Personally, having shot with both..some, I like the joystick rests. As mentioned, one piece rests aren't allowed in all venues and not at all in centerfire except in unlimited...as far as I know. I don't see a lot of advantage to a one piece but many feel they are better. I have far more experience using the joystick style, and for me, it's much faster. Perhaps I'd get faster with a one piece and more practice. Alan Hall makes a one piece that is more intuitive to use because he has left hand threads on the horizontal adjustment, making the rest move in the direction you'd expect it to when turning the screw " in" or " out." Most seem backward, to me. It's likely what you get use to.

When I contacted SEB and was told there was a 2 year wait, I ordered a Grizzly Iron Slinghot rest that was recommended to me by a BR shooter.

Bob

The only one piece I noticed was a Pappas. Are there more options and if so, who makes them?

I got my 1-piece from Cliff Arnold. Excellent machining workmanship. The shipping crate was so well made, I made it into a carrying case for the rest. I'd recommend him. Almost identical to the Pappas 1-piece, with a few improvements and for less money He also makes mechanical rear rests. He doesn't advertise much. Occasionally he will list a complete 1-piece or some mechanical rear rests for sale over on Rimfire Central.

Hoot

Front Rifle Rest

thanks so much to everyone who took time to provide so much valuable information about the options available. Now I need to do some homework.

Respectfully,
Dave

I got my 1-piece from Cliff Arnold. Excellent machining workmanship. The shipping crate was so well made, I made it into a carrying case for the rest. I'd recommend him. Almost identical to the Pappas 1-piece, with a few improvements and for less money He also makes mechanical rear rests. He doesn't advertise much. Occasionally he will list a complete 1-piece or some mechanical rear rests for sale over on Rimfire Central.

Hoot

Hoot, do you have contact information for Cliff Arnold and does he have a website so I can view the rest.
Thanks

Back