Front rest ear tension

Savage Mark

Hi guys !

Just how tight should the ears grip the forend ? I have a savage F class rifle with 3” forend . No matter what I still get a little movement of crosshairs on target. If I crank down the tension will it elimate this movement ?

Thx

Mark

When you say that that you get movement, do you mean while you are pulling the trigger? Are you trying to shoot it free recoil?

I’ve tried free recoil , medium hold and heavy . Trigger is maybe 8 oz. The movement isn’t from trigger , not sure what it’s from. Just not as stable in bags as I think it could be . That’s why I asked if I should tighten up front rest ears , for better stability.

Tightening the side tension on the front bag is an easy experiment. Let us know the result. For me, it would be important to track down the source. Rifles and benches do not move on their own. How sturdy is your bench? What sort of rear bag arrangement do you have? Is the movement cyclic, like breathing or heat beat?

Tightening the side tension on the front bag is an easy experiment. Let us know the result. For me, it would be important to track down the source. Rifles and benches do not move on their own. How sturdy is your bench? What sort of rear bag arrangement do you have? Is the movement cyclic, like breathing or heat beat?

You bring up a good point about rifles not moving around by themselves , making me think it’s me . It’s winter so I wonder if my big Carhart coat is hitting somewhere it shouldn’t be . Thanks for the tip . I’ll look into this . Rear bag is a Protektor leather with Sandpaper on bottom . Might need a new rear bag due to the flat squared bottom of the Savage F class stock . Right now stock rides about 3/8 inch above the bottom of bag , but only rides on 2 square corners of the stock .

Ok ! Quick update ! I tightened the ears down pretty good , leaned into rifle and pinned it to front stop and didn’t shoot outside the 10 ring all day . What a difference . Shot my best group of all time at 300 yards ! Right about .2 inches . Flipped me right out !

Just remember that the gun has to lift free (straight up) from the front rest without hanging up on the bag, or else you get to add that front rest to the rifle weight. Odds are that you will be over the weight limit if that happens.

Just remember that the gun has to lift free (straight up) from the front rest without hanging up on the bag, or else you get to add that front rest to the rifle weight. Odds are that you will be over the weight limit if that happens.

Well yeahhhhh...... or just get a lighter front rest..... hellOO'Ooo

Ok , so I tightened s..t out of front rest and shot a 394 at my first 500 yard F class match . Almost free recoil . Think I’m onto something here !

If the base of your butt stock is riding up on the ears and not on the flat between the ears you likely need a new bag with wider ear spacing or let some sand out of the ears. Borrow a couple of different bags that allow the stock to ride flat on the bottom of the rear bag and see what works best before getting another one.

Robin

hi guys !

Just how tight should the ears grip the forend ? I have a savage f class rifle with 3” forend . No matter what i still get a little movement of crosshairs on target. If i crank down the tension will it elimate this movement ?

Thx

mark
movement could be you on back of stock

Back