front & rear guard screw torque ?

B

Bear2

Need help.
Just bought the Wheeler Eng. Fat Wrench. Might someone know what the proper torque is for Remington 700 front and rear guard screws? (barreled action to stock). I am putting a 700 back together after a good cleaning, for my son.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Bear2

I don't know what the "Proper" setting is but I set the front screw at 60"lbs and the rear at 30"lbs. Front being the screw at the recoil lug and the rear being the rear tang of the action. I let the middle screw out of the trigger guard

If it's not bedded, you might want to experiment at different torque settings to find the sweet spot. and maybe still, even if it is bedded. good luck! :)

I think that 35 in lb is a good place to start on a non-pillar bedded 700. That seems to be a widely used and recommended torque.

My long range precision rifles had manufacturer recommended torque for both screws of 65 inch pounds. It seems to work well, but I like the earlier posting of less torque on the rear screw and will give it a try. If there is any stress on the action, this lower torque might mitigate any bending or twisting. But if they were properly bedded, there shouldn't be any twisting or bending.

In any case, more than one manufacturer recommends 65 inch pounds. But this is for bedded actions, and both have pillars front and rear in addition to the bedding.

From the horse's mouth

One manufacturer that does NOT recommend 65 inch pounds is Remington, even for factory rifles equipped with aftermarket stocks with aluminum bedding blocks. Search the Remington website for their recommendations. The sniper rifle folks like the 65 inch pounds, and they want everything to be as bulletproof as possible, but for most applications, that is too much torque.

You may also want to search this forum, because this subject has been posted many times. There are many opinions, choose the one you like.

Scott Roeder

Thanks

Thanks everone. I will try your suggestions at the range and let you know the outcome.
Bear2

Back