friggin' Do-Drill

alinwa

oft dis'd member
This post is an endorsement of a product...... deal wit' it.

I've been making muzzle brakes, prototypes. These have holes and slots which require from 8 to 14 separate operations per..... Days of work with my rudimentary equipment....

I'm not a machinist, I do this for fun.

I'm using HSS and Carbide tooling and am forced to make light cuts to stay on line and have been faced with the "to lube or not to lube" conundrum. I've also got air cooling capability. I'm one of those who's made the statement "what does it matter what you use??? It can't lubricate the cut anyway, it's only there to carry off heat."

But I've been using cutting oils...

I've tried engine oil
tranny fluid
Moly-Dee
Tap-Con
Re-Lion
And some Svedische stuff
And water with and without oil
And mixtures like type-F and Moly-dee

And friggin' Do-Drill.

IMO Do-Drill is purely magical. Dunno WHAT it does, but it does it well! It'll restart a drill, make a carbide end mill cut with no resistance and leave a shiney finish. And it's not messy.

Good Stuff IMO

So Merry Christmas Y'all :p:p
al

Al,
Merry Christmas and thanks for the info. I have a can of that stuff I bought a long time back, was planning on using it for drilling and tapping, but have never used it. Now' I'll use it!

Thanks Al.

I had a can but it's long gone now.

It's probably one of those items now "not shipped to Canada".:(

neck turning ??

Glenn

Al

Thanks to you I can now come out of the closet. I have been using Do-Drill as my one and only cutting lubricant for many, many years. When I tell others about it, their eyes glaze over and they give me patronizing looks, so I simply keep it to myself.

Yes, Stonewall, it is excellant when neck turning, both inside and out. Also, put some on a wire wheel brush and it will remove all tooling marks in short order. A drop or two in your morning coffee is even better than diesel oil for getting the old digestive tract moving. A dab behind each ear and you will have to fight off the ladies. ;)

Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
Stonewall,

Go to www.viperbench-rest.com and go to the products page. It's the last item listed. This oil is one grade above do drill and a whole lot cheaper. I have brother shooters from Canada coming down next month for chambering work and we can get it to you. This is all I ever use on any ferrous metal and stainless steel.

Thearing/cutting oils

Bob:

I have used Brownells Dodrill by the gallon. I have used Tap Magic by the gallon and just plain Rigid Dark Pipe Threading oil. For the cost Rigid Dark Threading oil is hard to beat.

I noticed you thread slow below 75 RPMS. I thread at about 175 to 225 rpms. Smoke becomes a problem. I run a continous flow of air over my tool bit so I can see where I am on know when to disengage the halfnut.

I noticed in your video that the cutting oil had a low viscosity are you adding something like STP.

Nat Lambeth

Hi Nat,

The Vipers Venom cutting oil has been specially formulated without the use of any additives like STP. I requested a high sulfur content and I wanted it not to get runny as it absorbs heat from the cutting tool. The company chemists formulated it with regards to my requests. I use to have a shop filled with blue smoke but since I went to using High Speed Steel indexable inserts from the Arthur R. Warner co. , I can turn slower, get a really nice finish and no blue smoke in the shop.

Last edited:
Turning and threading coolants and lubricants..

I turn using carbide tooling at 600 RPMS and get a mirror finish with a 30:1 Water and semi synthetic coolant lubricant.

I thread with HSS with Rigid Dark Threading oil. It is a very high sulfer based oil.

I chamber with a 5:1 mixture of Rustlick 255R running at 10-125 PSI.

I have several reamers with close to 1000 chambers w/out a resharpen.

Nat Lambeth

Hi Nat,

You are the perfect example of the old saying that "There are several ways to skin a cat". Your power flushing system is the way to go, but most of us newbies don't have that kind of set up. We only do a few barrels a year. Plus at my age I have to do things slowly, because I forget so quickly. Merry Christmas Nat !!

Bob

Back