Forearm Adaptor for Benchrest

jim

I am using my Anschutz 54MS to participate in local aspirin shoots in their factory target class. I would like to locate some type of three inch wide forearm adaptor which I could attach without modifying the stock e.g., drilling holes etc. to help it track better. My 54 does not have an accessory rail or a sling stud and all adaptors I've found so far (and there are several) all require a sling stud attachment or accessory rail. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks

When I bought my Remington 541S, the last owner had taken a piece of aluminum C-channel and used one of the bedding compounds to make a slip on rest rider. With the tapered sporter stock, it slides on from the front and stops about 2 inches back firmly. Don't forget to use saran wrap or some other type of release on the stock!:D

The sandsof time

Can you even make that modification in "Factory Class".

Bob

Rules are like the sands of time, always changing and unique to their location as far as clubs are concerned. I think it always begs the question, in accuracy games, why wouldn't the rules always permit getting the most out of the equipment? I found a club last winter that does not permit wind flags. Why bother trying for accuracy? Just shoot and let nature decide. Makes no sense to me.

Pete

I am very new to this hence why I am asking.

I actually just ordered a 3" Flat, Benchrest Forend Adapter from Sinclair. I was actually considering having a second stock made up and pillar bedded for my 40X 100 Yard Gun and doing a Change Stock thing like a Change Barrel gun, until I found out about these adapters.

I am planning on shooting my first match at Cherry Ridge on the 23rd to get a little experience. Bob White told me that my Remington Factory 40X with the FACTORY stock will qualify for the mornings FACTORY Class. I would use my curved front rest bag. Any Scope is OK too. For the afternoon Heavy Varmint, looks like I can make weight with the Sinclair adapter which attached at the front sling swivel screw and will provide better stability in the rest with my Benchrest Front bag.

In looking around it looks like Evolution Gun Woks and Whidden makes a product like this as well as Hart.

Maybe these are just this groups rules, but my understanding is that at least for this match / group, the Factory rifle has to be factory stock. Not sure about trigger.

Bob

Last edited:
Pete

there are times when nature decides in spite of wind flags. you shoulda been in Vermont this past weekend! :)

Forearm Adaptor

I honestly don't have a clue! I bought it online out of Colorado, if I remember correctly. I use it in local matches, and I guess no one will say anything until I start beating them with it!;)

Can you even make that modification in "Factory Class".

Bob

Bob White told me the same thing. Shoot what ever you want if you are not concerned about your aggregate and as long as you are not beating people (that's me) , so won't be questioned.

Bob

Jim - What I'd do is just live with not having a flat forend. It just takes a second to make sure your crosshair is not slanted. There's several things you could do to install something flat but I don't know of any that wouldn't damage your stock given time. Sounds like your stock is more important than winning...and that's just fine by me. The most important thing is that you show up and shoot!!

You could get another stock that you didn't care so much about......

Thanks for all the replies! I have decided to work on my technique using the factory stock.

My Adapter showed up from Sinclair the other day and it looks well made. It came with three mounting screws. One is a Wood Screw made to go into the hole in the stock for the sling swivel. I do not have a sling swivel, but they were available on the rifle. The other two are bolts of two different threads to use on a rail type system.

When to my local gunsmith today and he is going to inlet a small brass screw in plug that has a center hole with the threads that match one of the bolts that came with the adapter.

The design looks like the forend of the factory stock will be well protected and the inset that is going to be inlet, should not be very noticeable as it is brass, when it is installed.

Bob

Back