Ford's new automated plant

• Thread starter Dennis Sorensen
  • Start date
Interestingly enough, the 3Cyl Turbo Diesels that get 80mpg are not even imported to the US. Lest I'm mistaken there and they've begun to.

It is my belief that European diesel is a much higher quality/refined fuel than what is available in North America...?

That is what has held diesel advancement back here...

tomgrace50

chevy doesnt sell a small truck with a four cylinder engine in them any more--now you can under stand why there going broke-- slesman told me they could sell a lot if they could get 4 cylinder trucks

Interestingly enough, the 3Cyl Turbo Diesels that get 80mpg are not even imported to the US. Lest I'm mistaken there and they've begun to.

It is my belief that European diesel is a much higher quality/refined fuel than what is available in North America...?

That is what has held diesel advancement back here...
Just got off the phone with an "Aquaintance" who's rather on the inside of these things. Says this is not true (any more). That his emissions models now are all geared toward the "Clean Diesel" which is all that's available today. The low sulfer diesel is the only thing available here in the US now. This is the reason the price of diesel went up was the change in process. Not that the process is more expensive, because the changes are insignificant in cost, but since they CAN charge more now, they do.

We had a rather long conversation on the amounts of fine particulate matter which is a by-product of diesel fuel combustion and according to this source (one I trust), VW and Audi both meet all US emissions standards for air quality even in CA now. So, limits on import are for emissions reason are no longer a legitimate concern.

His email back to me on this:
Phil:

Here is a link for you to use for emissions spreadsheets. It is from the State of NC and in the public domain so anyone can use it. They require that these spreadsheets be used for air permit applications for some sources. Generalized information but perfect for the comparative analysis that you want to do.

There is gas, diesel, fuel oils, LPG, NG, etc - so have at it.

All of the background data is from AP-42, the USEPA database for emissions estimation that they have constructed based on a wide variety of studies on pollutant sources.

Look at the different types of PM when you do the comparison - the PM10 and PM 2.5 (less than 10u and 2.5u particle size) are what you want to concentrate on and then also compare the toxic compounds.

Keep in mind that your comparison is most accurate if you compare on the basis of BTU value - compare 100 mmbtu of gasoline to diesel rather than gal to gal - so that you compare energy values.

Let me know if you have questions.

http://daq.state.nc.us/permits/spreadsheets/
His references to "PM" are for Particulate Matter (call it airbourne dirt that is usually very toxic, but not generally visible). This stuff needs "Controlled" by devices similar to a catylitic converter, though there are several methods available for this type of fuel which are more effective. The fuel needs roughly 2-3 seconds at 2300F to break the longer carbon chains in the Diesel down to where they no longer represent a threat to the environment. Simply running a Cat doesn't do this on the older diesel. Rather than manufacturing devices to do this no vehicles and heating furnaces, it was easier to deal with at the fuel refinery level.

Last edited by a moderator:
The argument that a rig which gets TWICE THE MILEAGE will ALWAYS produce less emissions/mile is a good one. Solid. Irrefutable even.

What I'm saying is, it ain't the automakers fault..... it's the regulations which they're forced to adhere to. Regulations which Europe is BACKING OFF ON because it's bankrupting them. The real problem IMO is that some of the folks in charge of legislation here in the good old US of A think "we can afford it because we're richer".........

I personally WILL sacrifice acceleration for mileage for my work car. I'm not in a hurry and I've got plenty of huge motors if I get the urge. I'd love nothing more than a luxurious little gink with a little panache like the Sky..... But I'd surely want over 40mpg to make it worth it.

al

Au Contraire

"Toyota doesn't pay employees not to work, they don't layoff. In times of slow production they have their employees paint floors or do house-keeping tasks along with work related training."

This little slowdown is slow enough and deep enough that the Toyota plant in Georgetown, KY laid off 600 very recently................

Back