For the car guys among us

0009.jpg 2019-05-31_162315.jpg 2019-07-20_183716.jpg
2019-10-08_152503.jpg 2019-10-08_154241.jpg

Bob, These are some of the cars I have owned over the years. We both share an appreciation for mid-year Corvettes. The '66 is still in the family.

Mort

Attachments

• 0001.jpg
    0001.jpg
    422 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
Thanks Hunter. The wife and I put over 50K on the car attending runs and car shows. We had a great time....lots of memories.

Mort

A couple of 409's at Cedar Falls last weekend. There were 14 racing.

Attachments

• 27201 (1).jpeg
    27201 (1).jpeg
    211.9 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Front Wheels

A couple of 409's at Cedar Falls last weekend. There were 14 racing.

It would be easier to steer if you kept the front wheels on the pavement instead of in the air.
Just sayin!

I had a pony like that one time--always buckin!

Did you get any trophies/ribbons/cash????

CLP

Francis, I think the 409 was introduced in late 61 with only 142 SS cars produced at 360hp. I wouldn't think replacement blocks would have come out before production....????

DMort
I made a mistake in November of 2020.
I tore down a perfectly good engine to build one with more hp. Should have left it alone and built one of my other blocks. After a comedy of errors, one being a renowned head guy porting into water and the parts situation nowadays, I finally got back to the track in late June this year.. Did lot's of changes while car was down, suspension, sintered iron clutch, G-Force 2000 5 speed clutchless, 4:56 gears and heavier axle shafts, took out bench seat and put in racing seat. Used to run 11:30's and the best so far now is 10:51 but I'm sure it's got 10:30s easy in it.

Just like shooting, it's never good enough. I have an iron block 409 about done that will be 511CU and around 750 hp.

Later
Dave

Last edited:
Good going Dave!
Would really like to see another video of you banging gears...just don't break anything.

Mort

Breaking stuff is an opportunity to improve. Despite a well prepped factory block (including filled water passages to stiffen the casting up), number 4 cylinder wall on my 327 Stock Eliminator block decided not to play well with the others:

A Dart 'attitude adjustment' was the fix. My program really started to come together after the new block:

Good shootin' -Al

Good looking Block, can I assume the flashing around the oil drain holes will be removed before final assembly?

Oh, yeah....the block was 8lbs lighter when I got done with the 'detailing'. Besides the thicker deck and cylinder walls, the priority main oiling allowed the upstairs oil to be dramatically reduced. The more oil you can keep in the pan, the less circulating oil you need to have. And the more power you can make due to decreased pumping losses from the reduced oil level in the pan.

Hot, hot oil and cold, cold water makes power......;) -Al

Last edited:
On the schedule last week was this well worked out 283 SBC NHRA Super Stock engine. Over the course of several days, three different camshafts were evaluated as well as some rather unconventional oiling system changes. The oil pan was off so much, I felt like a 'diver' on a Top Fuel team. :eek: ;) :D -Al

VgfVDaDl.jpg

0L4ZHRIl.jpg

Back