Fluting a HV barrel to make LV weight

I've fluted a lot of barrels the last few years with the advent of the heavy scopes. I've taken off anywhere from 2 oz. to 12 oz. I never had a barrel that was really bad after all that. Some were fluted before shooting and some after I saw how they shot. I've never seen that fluting hurt the barrels potential. I can flute my own, so my situation is different from most, but I would rather flute to remove a few ounces that cut the muzzle off. I think you have more potential to make a good shooter into an average barrel doing that than by fluting. (on the other hand, cutting some off might make it better, who knows?)

I like to do a lot of small flutes vs. fewer deep flutes. I do 10 flutes on a varmint barrel.

Jim Carstensen

ooops

If I understand what Boatwright says, the dominant effect is not tip deflection but the vertical velocity imparted to the bullet as it exits. Additional stiffness moves the (first mode) node outward and increases frequency. These work in opposite ways on vertical imparted velocity. A computation is in order.

I disremembered some basic facts: 1) the modal nodes are not moved when stiffness is changed. 2) the first mode has no nodes. (I was thinking by false analogy to a fly rod.) Stiffness affects only frequency and tip excursion. I refer to my favorite source, a must-own: "Boundary Value Problems and Fourier Expansions" in a low-cost Dover paperback, eqns 8.30--8.33.

Back