Fixed Power Scope or Variable?

hardrockjr

I am considering buying a new scope for my 100/200 BR gun and wondering if one of the newer variable scopes have an advantage over the fixed power scopes. I currently have 40X and 50X scopes. None of these scopes are relatively cheap anymore, so I am asking for experienced comments from benchresters on how they compare. The question; If you could buy only one scope for short range competition, would you choose fixed power or a variable and why? Comments?

hardrock,

I have the Sightron 10-50 and love it. It is clear, repeatable, and good eye relief, and I keep it at ~40x all the time. It is HEAVY (30 oz), tho, and makes it difficult/impossible to make weight in sanctioned matches, unless I only want to shoot HV. My club shoots 100 yard VFS matches and I can compete in them because weight is not an issue. If I had it to do over again, I'd go with a fixed 40 or 45 power Leupold or if I won the lottery, a March. Keep in mind, tho, that guys at the club have looked thru my SIII and the Leupy's and a March at one of the matches and they claimed the SIII was clearer, brighter, and had better eye relief. YMMV of course.

Dennis

I'm struggling with the same question on my current 6 PPC build. We've predominately used Weaver T's and Leupolds on our BR guns to date. I've heard good things about the Sightron though so I'm considering their variable as well. I'd like the option of shooting LV down the road so weight is definitely a factor.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

If you are shooting 10.5 lbs, you are not going to be able to tolerate the weight of a variable. You can at 13.5.

At 10.5 lbs, mostly you see T-36, Leupold LCS 45 (or some guys with the BRD in group), or the March fixed.

At 13.5, things open up. Around here, you see quite a few NF 12-42x BR models, and while they are pretty robust, they are very heavy.

I have one of the new NF Competition model to play with. It is much lighter than the BR model.

You're right, SG, and I am OH SO CLOSE to making the 10.5 weight (10.58 on my home kitchen scale) :( and I've done about all I can. So, scope is next, and I'll be going with a fixed 40/45 as stated earlier. I just wish Sightron made a nice, light one.

Dennis

OK, silly questions:

Are you weighing the gun as you'd take it to the line? Lens and turret caps off? Any crown protector you might have off?

What kind of rings do you have? I got a bit of weight back when I went to Harrell's rings from extra tall Kelbly's. If you have two double-screw, can you go with one double and one single? Or can you go with two single screw mounts? If it won't hold the scope in place, you might try lapping the rings, then bedding in the scope (kind of like pillar bedding the scope).

What kind of trigger guard do you have? Can you replace it with a thinned down aluminum one? Can you skeletonize it?

What kind of butt plate do you have? Can you replace it with a thin aluminum sheet?

What about your bolt knob? Can you lose some weight by replacing a bulky one with a teardrop? I realize that this isn't as easy as the others.

OK, silly answers. The gun is stripped for the line, no caps, etc. No butt plate and it's a McMillan Edge LV with the weight hole cap removed. I have Harrell's 2/1 rings, lapped but not bedded. I've got a 24-inch finished length (~22 inches of "barrel") and it's a 6BR Shilen DGV (Savage S7 taper). Jewell trigger and aluminum trigger guard. I've done about all I can without hacking up the stock, and I am REALLY reluctant to do that. Best solution seems to be get rid of the 30 ounce scope and replace with a 20 ounce Leupold, but only if I decide to really get serious and start shooting in NBRSA or IBS competitions where weight is crucial.

Hardrock, sorry for hi-jacking the thread!:rolleyes:

Dennis

You're only 8/100's of an ounce over. That's not much.

If you were saying that your rear is a double screw ring, you might try going to a single screw. If the scope won't stay in place in the single screw, that's where bedding it in would enter the picture.

Skeletonize the trigger guard or change to a teardrop bolt knob.

You could shorted the barrel by just a hair, but you're already thought of that.

It's not terrible to go to an LCS scope, they're nice. I own two. I'd hoped to think up something that might keep you from spending money. Oh, well.

SG, I'm actually 8/100 of a pound over, almost 1.5 ounces. I'm not concerned at this point, but you've given me some good ideas! Thanks.:cool:

Dennis

David, I'm having enuf trouble getting 22" to shoot, so that's not an option, but I've only just begun on this new barrel. I have found a possible way to meet weight, remove the anti-canting level, but like I said before I haven't really gotten to the point of worrying at the club's monthly shoot. When the time comes to meet weight, I want some elbow room to add/adjust weight by more than 1 or 2 ounces, so the lighter scope comes into play. Hopefully by that time I can actually read the wind a little bit!

Dennis

A long time back, to deal with a balance issue on a custom actioned 10.5# 6PPC, I cut several barrels down to 20 1/2". If anything they shot slightly better, and the velocities held up just fine. If you have the budget, and you have some shank to play with, have it set back by shortening it at the back, which will of course require rechambering. Are you using a two piece scope base? Once to compensate for the weight of a tuner and Deresonator, both relatively new to benchrest, I had two steps cut in a barrel to take off 5 1/4 oz. The package shot better than it had before. This was done to a button rifled barrel, very carefully, without reducing the original diameter of the muzzle. Not that you will use them, but at least you have more options. Of course there is always fluting.

If I was shooting 100-300 benchrest targets...

I'd have a fixed power scope, 36X or higher, that was the best I could afford. Certainly, that might not be a good scope but for the sake of saying...that's what I would have. I've shot a few shots here and there, looked at some rifles, and that seems to be the ticket.

Thanks to all.

Thanks for the advice on scopes. Looks like a fixed power 40X will be my choice.

BTW, I hear that a Leupold 36X scope can be boosted up to about 55X by optical services in NM. If anybody has some experience on the picture quality, scope reliability, etc I would like to hear comments.

Why buy a 36x and have it boosted by third party when you can buy a 45x with a lifetime warranty off the shelf? The LCS 45 is 20.4 ounces.

There are used March 50x around. I have one. Very nice. 20.8 ounces.

There is the NF Competition 15-55x. But, it's 27.8 ounces. Nicest scope that I own. Too heavy for 10.5 lbs, IMHO.

Back