first BR match at St. Johnsbury...any advice

savet06

Mike Suhie
Hello all,
For those of you following my previous threads for the matches in CT I have submitted my proposal to the board and am awaiting final decision. In preparation I figured I should attend a match and see how they are run, and in the process finally put my money where my mouth is.
I have a load that is shooting just under 1/2 bullet vertical at 200yds, and unfortunately I will only have one or two more practice sessions prior to the match. I have some official targets on order, and my dad (his first match as well) and I will have a mock tournament before we go.

I have contacted Dr. Sargent, and will be at the May 3rd match at 200yds.

Any preparations unique to that range? We are planning on just getting out there, shooting, and having a good time, but if there are any acoutrements that would be helpful we would appreciate the heads up.

Thanks for all the help and the interest in the matches in CT.
I have an offer from a local gunsmith to help me build a moving backer system so we might be able to open up to group matches as well as in the future state championships and grand aggs for group and score.

Thanks in advance,
Mike Suhie

Expect to finish last and you will not be disappointed in your performance. Just go to learn, have fun and meet new people with similar interests.

Advice ??? Go there to have fun, meet new people, and learn. Give yourself at least a year or two to absorb the fundamentals.

St.J

The match in St.J is 100yd score. I hase been changed , see scheudal on IBS site

Advice?
1. Do not put your bolt into your rifle until told to do so by the range officer.
2. Don't fall off your stool.
3. Be sure your cases are primed before charging with powder.
4. Be sure there is powder in cases before seating bullet.
5. Always check to be sure your target matches your bench number.
6. Don't expect too much the first year you compete.
7. Above all relax and enjoy whats going on.
8. Any questions or problems....ask someone.
9 Relax and enjoy.
10. Relax and enjoy.

Thanks for the tips, guys, and for the info on the yardage change. I have to admit that I was a little intimidated by the thought of my first match being at 200yds.
I am looking forward to it a great deal, and have NO expectations of placing.
Just out there to have fun, and pick up some pointers for running the matches down here and for shooting in general.
It will be great to finally get the ball rolling. I hope they don't mind a couple of flatlanders showing up!
Mike

We are ALWAYS pleased

to see new people showing up to compete. Lots of people shoot but not many of them want to compete and/or make a committment to competing on a regular basis. This is probably why not many shoots are "Sold Out". I know there are thousands of Brnchrest Rifles in America, shot by folks who have never shot a competative round; guess they just like having em.

The rules of the road are read before each Warm Up Match now so many of the questions you might have will be answered there. One of the most important rules on a Brnchrest Range is Bolts Out until told to insert them and they be removed when told to do so. Another big one is not moving forward of the benches once the match has started. This is also an absolute.

I predict you will like this a lot and be even more enthused with having matches closer to home.

Ask lots of questions. We'll even tell you what we had for breakfast if we can remember!

Last edited:
Mike, I'm looking forward to seeing you in May. I can assure you we all have a good time at our matches in St. J. We play by the rules but enjoy ourselves as well. I'll be there by 7:30 since I work the night before but Reed Garfield will be there sooner. Just come on in the range building, sign up and we will be glad to help you get set up, set flags and get to know the procedures and other competitors.

Bill Sargent
IBS Match Director
Caledonia Forest and Stream Club

Thanks again. I am looking forward to it.
I am hoping to get there as early as possible. If I leave my house by 5am I should be able to get there by 8 or so unless an unexpected delay occurs. I had considered heading up the night before, but family duties at home prevent an earlier departure.
When it comes to the range and safety I will always err on the side of caution. I am acutely aware of the need for strict regulations in order to allow everyone to have fun and stay safe.
See you there!
Mike

Typically

arriving @ 8:00 for a 9:00 match does not give one enough time to sign up AND set windflags. Perhaps you don't have your own flags but if you do, you might want to consider getting there before 8. ;)

savet06,

This in not Advise, just some other small "advise" from the same newbie...::)
1. be kind/friendly to all people. introduce yourself to the shooters that shoot next to you, tell them that you are new shooter
2. do NOT late
3. watch the wind cycle, mirage, & flags very carefully
4. shoot when the condition "stays", when possible. it's your call.
5. do NOT "doubling"
6. shoot in a "rythm mode", do not too hurry
(for #4,5,6...remember that you can even shoot in the last minute, if you wish)
7. bring a watch/clock, put on the bench/your front rest
8. remember how many rounds you shoot on the record (=for group match)
9. make sure to set well your front rest & rear bag & rifle. All things, including your bench tecnique, be consistent to the best you can.
10. do not move too much, when shooting, or during the relay
11. sit/stay until the relay is finished. do NOT forget to release your bolt
12. bring a bolt holster
13. bring a cart
14. use your time wisely. prepare your cartridges & clean soon. watch carefully how people shoot. ask people which ones are great shooters on the line. learn from good shooters. ask things you do not understand.
15. always check your rifle, scope, mounts etc
16. you could get your (own) paper target an half hour after the shoot is over. learn & remember how you shot it. make evaluations.
17. in case of a "cease fire" command, remove your bolt and do nothing!
18. do not think too much during the match....again, relax!

seb.

Last edited:
Seb...

This in not Advise, just some other small "advise" from the same newbie...::)
1. be kind/friendly to all people. introduce yourself to the shooters that shoot next to you, tell them that you are new shooter
2. do NOT late
3. watch the wind cycle, mirage, & flags very carefully
4. shoot when the condition "stays", when possible. it's your call.
5. do NOT "doubling"
6. shoot in a "rythm mode", do not too hurry
(for #3,4,5...remember that you can even shoot in the last minute, if you wish)
7. bring a watch, put on the bench/your front rest
8. remember how many rounds you shoot on the record (=for group match)
9. make sure to set well your front rest & rear bag & rifle. All things, including your bench tecnique, be consistent to the best you can.
10. do not move too much, when shooting, or during the relay
11. sit/stay until the relay is finished. do NOT forget to release your bolt
12. bring a bolt holster
13. bring a cart
14. use your time wisely. prepare your cartridges & clean soon. watch carefully how people shoot. ask people which ones are great shooters on the line. learn from good shooters. ask things you do not understand.
15. always check your rifle, scope, mounts etc
16. you could get your (own) paper target an half hour after the shoot is over. learn & remember how you shot it. make evaluations.
17. in case of a "cease fire" command, remove your bolt and do nothing!
18. do not think too much during the match....again, relax!

seb.

at least in the IBS, when the cease fire command is given, the rule is to NOT TOUCH YOUR RIFLE PERIOD...until you are given specific instructions by the range officer, unless of course it is a normal cease fire after time runs out.

Thanks, Seb.
I will try to keep those pointers in mind. I am becoming ever more cognisant of the subtle bits of etiquette that go on during a relay.
For instance the doubling of shots. In my practice I certainly don't shoot in any particular rhythm except when a condition holds long enough for me to get a couple shots downrange. I have only in the last year begun using windflags on a regular basis and many of the conditions that arise are "foreign" to me. I imagine I am more prone to hesitate during my string and wait for a better understood condition to come through, or test the sighter for that new condition.
Is avoiding the doubling scenario one of those things that makes more sense when you get into the record string? Which is not to say I don't understand what doubling is, just not as clear on how to avoid it.

Mike

Mike,

Most people in this forum are more, more capable to answer your question. I don't.
I just noticed that some benches are built "so close", so that you can even see your reticle shakes (=vibrasion exists, imho) when shooters next to you shoot their round(s), no matter how well you set your rest/bag/rifle.
Personally I don't care with my fouling shot(s), but I would avoid doubling for my sighters and record. (its' just a personal preference,...I don't even know if that's right or wrong!).
If you're right handed, you still/should be able to see your right neighbour. And you still can feel if your left neighbour is shooting or not, even you use ear muff & ear plugs. A little sight to the left won't hurt, though.
Limit time allows, you can even please your neighbour to shoot first.
Or, you can "steal" some seconds to shoot a round or two, or between the intervals. (but remember the flags etc when you shot your previous round(s), wait for the same/similar conditions, make adjustment if needed, or go back to the sighter if you think it would be good, or if you know exactly how your setup shoots on the sighter & record (the poi difference etc). however, do not keep your rounds too long in the chamber as it would go high from my little experience...

Again, I am just a newbie...you don't need to listen me.:)

seb.

Greg, thanks for the info.

Thanks, Seb. I will let you know how the first match goes. I am sure that your information will be helpful, and I am sure that I will get some great help from the shooters at the match.
Looking forward to it.

Mike

mike STOP.. DON'T DO IT

if u attend at ur first match somethings change in ur life:

1) u'll became a benchrester, an unnatural human species
2) u'll be sorrounded by strange people that spokes a particular lenguages
3)nighttimes come, ur dreams ( or nightmares depend on ur results in the previous match u've attended at) are populated by brass, magic bullets, hummer bummer windflags that try to talk something to u that u cannot understand and so on ... wet dreams ( if u go to the Sunny ohio...)
4) most of the normal shooters don't understand why a guy could spend so many time watching the range insted to shoot...
5 ) u'll find out new friends ships from all over the us and worldwide, maybe u'll see them once a year or so, but the friendships is always renewed sincerly

welcome to the community , my simple , syncere advice : have fun , simply enjoy the game .
the results cames after a little or long period of practice and listening to what the other benchresters says, specialy the good ones.

sincerly GLF

Back