Fireform 6PPC/6Beggs

adamsgt

Jerry Adams
I don't have a separate fireform barrel. As I have more than a case of Bullseye I was thinking of using that for fireforming using a felt pellet covered with dental wax to seal. I know some people use Cream of Wheat on top of the powder but I was thinking the felt pellet might work better. Am I entering a dangerous area trying this?

I don't have a separate fireform barrel. As I have more than a case of Bullseye I was thinking of using that for fireforming using a felt pellet covered with dental wax to seal. I know some people use Cream of Wheat on top of the powder but I was thinking the felt pellet might work better. Am I entering a dangerous area trying this?

I've never used felt pellets but, is this a Beggs or a PPC? No fire forming per se to a Beggs.

like all loads start low and work up.
a felt pellet is weight, adds resistance, may add pressure quicker
i shoot pretty much powder only

I've never used felt pellets but, is this a Beggs or a PPC? No fire forming per se to a Beggs.

Primarily a 6PPC. As far as the 6 Beggs goes, Gene sent me an email and said to fireform load 20grains of VV133 in the case, seat a bullet and shoot.

I would not use Bullseye for the Beggs, but for the PPC, in the past, I have filled the .220 Russian cases half way up the shoulder with Bullseye and used a 3/4" square of ordinary kitchen towel as a plug. I center the square on the case mouth and use long leg of a small Allen wrench to push it in the neck until it is flush. Works for me. This is very loud and heats the barrel a lot, so go very slow. Bring another rifle to the range to play with, and alternate so that you don't become impatient and toast your barrel. Remember Bullseye has a lot nitroglycerine in it and so a high flame temp. For that reason, with a good barrel I do not use it, only with a dedicated fire forming barrel. With no fire forming barrel I recommend just using regular ppc weight bullets and powders.

........... With no fire forming barrel I recommend just using regular ppc weight bullets and powders.

I used the powder and wax plugg once at my "beginnings", to form 220R to PPC. I did not like the result at all.

I has that feeling of waisting my time at the range. It is time consuming, that is no training.

Then I had to spend a hell of a time to clean the wax build up from the barrel.

Then I did not like the headspace distribution. It was not concistent, and my guess is that either the play of the rim inside the extractor claw or the progressive wax build-up bring some variation.

For a long time now, I fire form with a bullet seated very hard in the lands, pushed back at bolt closure, high neck tension and regular powder for the caliber/bullet weight mix. There is always a load strong enough to get good forming and that works correct enough so I can "shoot for real" at the bench while forming. OK it's not shooting in the 1's, but it's good enough to show you that you did or did not not pay enough attention to ... something. It is training for real.

I have found headspace to be much more consistent that way.

I used the powder and wax plugg once at my "beginnings", to form 220R to PPC. I did not like the result at all.

I has that feeling of waisting my time at the range. It is time consuming, that is no training.

Then I had to spend a hell of a time to clean the wax build up from the barrel.

Then I did not like the headspace distribution. It was not concistent, and my guess is that either the play of the rim inside the extractor claw or the progressive wax build-up bring some variation.

For a long time now, I fire form with a bullet seated very hard in the lands, pushed back at bolt closure, high neck tension and regular powder for the caliber/bullet weight mix. There is always a load strong enough to get good forming and that works correct enough so I can "shoot for real" at the bench while forming. OK it's not shooting in the 1's, but it's good enough to show you that you did or did not not pay enough attention to ... something. It is training for real.

I have found headspace to be much more consistent that way.

I use a case full of Bullseye and a wax plug in a fireform barrel. I do no neck turning or other prep before the first my first fireform. This thread is another chebbie vs. ferde thread. "By God, My way is right and the rest of you are fools"!

I use a case full of Bullseye and a wax plug in a fireform barrel. I do no neck turning or other prep before the first my first fireform. This thread is another chebbie vs. ferde thread. "By God, My way is right and the rest of you are fools"!

Who is "chebbie" and "ferde"? Sounds like names for a couple of water buffalo.

Blue Sky thought

I tried the bullseye and wax plug some time ago and had this thought, at the time, for this type of fire forming. Instead of using a rifle with a "fireform" barrel mounted, why not a "fixture" with a 6 inch or so barrel stub of the appropriate caliber. I'm seeing a rudimentary falling block action type of design. Cut a chamber with the desired reamer and you're good to go. Clamp it to the bench and fire it with a hammer. Barrel stubs could be easily changed for different cases. Just a thought. Probably this idea has been considered and discarded long ago but I never asked anyone about it. So tell me, would it be feasible?

I tried the bullseye and wax plug some time ago and had this thought, at the time, for this type of fire forming. Instead of using a rifle with a "fireform" barrel mounted, why not a "fixture" with a 6 inch or so barrel stub of the appropriate caliber. I'm seeing a rudimentary falling block action type of design. Cut a chamber with the desired reamer and you're good to go. Clamp it to the bench and fire it with a hammer. Barrel stubs could be easily changed for different cases. Just a thought. Probably this idea has been considered and discarded long ago but I never asked anyone about it. So tell me, would it be feasible?

Jerry, I believe Jackie does or did this for fire forming.

nope just vdub's

Having been in the VW business starting in 1968 I've owned many. My earliest was a split window, a 69 automatic stick shift and my favorite was my first, a 63 Type 1 with a 67 1500 engine. I've had numerous Type11 Kombis, Type11 PU, Type 111 fast backs and square backs, a couple Ghias, and a couple of the older notch backs and a Type4 Ghia. When living in Alaska I saw some of the odd ones as some of the Lufthansa pilots and other employees lived in Anchorage. I built a 59 Ghia with a Hewland 5 speed and a RX4 ported rotary motor. I installed Porsche 4 wheel disc brake from a 356SC. I still have a Type11 trans that I built with Hewland close ratio gears. Just sitting in a shed as I never used it.
I liked the 1600cc engine classes and ran either a destroked 60x92 or a stroked 76x83 engine. Those were the days.
My deep dark hole now is mainly walnut stocked rust blued hunting rifles.
Sorry to get off topic.

Last edited:
Back