Finnfire Varmint or Remington 504T-HB

R

rich56

I have this Finnfire but I'm not happy with the accuracy (about 5/8"@50yds), or the trigger. I use it for informal bench shooting and metallic silhouette. Would the Remington 504T-HB with the heavy Shillen barrel be a better choice in this price range? Anybody have a opinion which has the better action/trigger? If not anybody have any better choices in this price range?(about $750)

There is a fellow on gunbrokers that will get the trigger down to a good 8oz. RFC has some satisfactory reports on his work. The best approach is a Jewell fom Kurt Westfall. The Finnfire can be the basis for a very good Benchrest rifle with trigger, barrel and stock work. Don't think that particular Remington can be upgraded to the same extent. Just depends on what all you are willing to do to get where you want to be.
Don

Finnfire of Rem 504

I believe the Sako is one of the finest production rimfires made. My sporter has one of Don`s (Stith) stocks, a Jewell trigger and a Benchmark barrel.
This is a fine starting point for informal bench shooting or the real deal. Keep your eye on the classifieds, some real bargains to be had on a budget. It is unlikely you will be happy with the trigger on the 504. You can rebarrel just about any action and get it to shoot, but the 2 oz trigger makes it a keeper in my book.

Jeff

Thanks for Responces .........

I wasnt thinking of rebarreling either of the rifles mentioned but was wondering if the Sako should do better than 5/8" @50yds. I was thinking of giving the rifle to Bill Myers or others to rechamber and glass bed. I do understand at this time Bill Myers is recuperating from surgery. What should a tuned factory Finnfire group?

More info would help in assessing your question. What ammo are you shooting? Do you have and use wind flags? Do you have other factory rifles that you are shooting better groups with? Are you using a torque wrench to adjust your action screws?
On some of the Finnfires the lighter factory barrels shot better than the heavy factory barrels.
In my experience, rechambering a poor performing factory barrel does not help.. Bedding can be beneficial. I'd get the trigger improved first assuming you alreeady have good ammo, flags and a good rest.
I have tried for years to find a rifle that was so good it would offset my errors. I am starting to suspect many of the problems are within my body

Don

Covering the bases

Don, to answer your questions. I can achieve 1/2" groups at 100yds with my RRA AR15 and Remington 700 PSS so shooting ability is there. I don't have wind flags at the range but do try to watch conditions from vegetation around the range, I didnt think it mattered that much at 50yds. Ammo tried included Federal 711, Wolf Match Target, Aquila Target and PMC Match, I didnt go further with more expensive ammo because my 10/22 with GM barrel and Kimber 82G do about 1/2"with these bullets. The scopes have been proven on other rifles (Leupold and Bushnell 4200). I didnt try the torque wrench but will concentrate on glass bedding and doing a better trigger before doing anything to the barrel as per your advice. I have heard that with this rifle and the Remington 541 the standard barrels often out shot the heavy barrels. Thank You for your assistance

Rimfire ain't centerfire and I can assure you wind is and can be a nightmare.
I'm just learning (4th yr) BR rimfire but the first time you own a rifle ammo
combo that can chase conditions you will know it right away.
It feels good to - Now I just need to learn how to read.

Get a Jewell and some flags, New Lilja 4 groove and good ammo
solid rest and practice ALOT.

A factory rifle, cheap ammo, no wind flags, I would think 5/8" is very good. Between the fliers built into the ammo and the variables in the wind you're lucky that your groups aren't twice as big.

Ken

I have several finnfires and they all will shoot .3 to .4 with good ammo. If you can read the wind at all you shouldn't have much trouble getting a half inch or better. Most of these guns shoot well with just a little trigger work (8 oz.)

I like those numbers, What Ammo to try?

Will do wind flags and get trigger done. I didnt hold targets but don't remember horizontal dispersion being more than vertical, What ammo to try for best groups? What worked for you? I'd like to get this rifle shooting better with the factory barrel, This is my best looking rimfire but performance counts #1. Its about 10 degrees at my range now so the testing is going to have to wait till low 40s, Thanks Guys

You can put a ball point pen spring in the trigger and get it close to 6oz.
Try Eley,RWS,SK - I know they say SK and wolf are the same but I always
seem to do better with SK.
Temps above 50 or 55 seem to make a big dif. in my rifles - Below 50 and
I have a drop off - Maybe try some Biathalon ammo or Fiocchi as their lube
seems to handle lower temps better.
My factory bbl shot good - put a tuner on it and it tightened up - put a Lilja
and Jewell on it and it started to do pretty well - put it in a Stith stock and
I am damn close to my 16XX/Hart but only close.

Even streamers put out will show you the switches and keep your shots
going out in close to the same conditions.

Keep pluggin;)

I've shot the Sako on BR, I used 11 year old HV PMC ammo, on cheap front and rear bag, it went bang and was more than acceptable for a borrowed rifle with a overly heavy trigger and a cheap scope not setup for my eye.

That said it was more accurate than I was on the day, and even with ancient ammo and poor setup it fired groups just as good as those using top end rests and Tenex ammo.

The Sako's are damm good rifles, their price shows that, good chance the bedding is poor and muzzle has been damaged, it don't take much to make poor groups, and while 5/8" is not the best if put into the middle of the target they would still all be 10.

It's not that exe to add a good match grade barrel to the sako action, it would then come down to the operator not the machinery, I trained a guy once who had a very accurate hard kicking 7mm 14" Thompson Contender, the very best he could do from a sandbag rest on the bench at 25yds was maybe 3".

It would have been easy to think there was something very wrong until he asked me to put 5 through it with his own loads until I put them into a ragged single hole, so it's sometimes not the gun alone.

Added this Lilja barrel on my Finnfire along with a Nikon 4-16x50mm Tactical with mildots.
Jewell trigger set at 8 oz.

SakoLilja112-22-080001.jpg

SakoLilja212-22-080001.jpg

SakoLilja312-22-080001.jpg

SakoLilja412-22-080001.jpg

You can try Kurt Westfall thru this forum. Don't know if he can ship overseas.

Ken

Contact Kurt. I believe he told me he has a person who does his international shipping for him.

Pete

EH-OH,looks like there is.......

scatchey-poo onside of scopey-doo. eeeeeewwwww POO-POO!!!!;)

(don'cha HATE it when that happens???) done it myself.

Great looking rifle, I wish they'd made them in Lefty........and still MADE them.

Back