Feinwerkbau 300S...

Dick Wright

I have a Feinwerkbau 300S (side lever cocking) that I shot in competition years ago. It hasn't been shot in at least 15 years. Assuming that the seals are dried out, I'm afraid to shoot it now without some service. There are no more matches in this area and it just sits in my gun cabinet. The gun is in excellent shape and has the original sights and the target that came with it. The stock has unusually nice wood.

I really don't know what to do with it. I usually don't keep guns I can't shoot but I won a lot of matches with this one back in the day and I kinda like it. I realize that the side lever makes it unsuitable for contemporary benchrest... too big a pain to cock it.

I have no idea what it's worth.

Suggestions???????

Dick Wright

300s

When there that old, best to not shoot them. If you cock it and look inside the inverted cone, back into the piston with a flashlight, if it is creamy white it is an original seal. Well now its cocked so you have to insert a pellet and shoot it. So shoot it in a 2x4 and look if there is any white chips, that will show the seal is crumbling, not good. But if you do start to shoot it, it will start to go sooner or later. I have paid around $400.00 for one,in good condition, then totally tear them down, about $100.00. A rebuilt 300s basic stock in good condition and rebuilt is a $500.00 Gun. The upgraded models go for more. My 1969 Tyrolean is A $1,000 gun in excellent condition. Hope that helps. Pete

Last edited:
FWB are showing up at Holbrook's indoor Matches

4 in Jan with Bill Day high score 247 forgot the X count, and 5 shooters in Feb. with FWB-300S,

My left thumb has been screwed up when I shot a Walther LGR and FWB back in 2008. So count me out. My Springer Benchrest days are over.

Paul

When there that old, best to not shoot them. If you cock it and look inside the inverted cone, back into the piston with a flashlight, if it is creamy white it is an original seal. Well now its cocked so you have to insert a pellet and shoot it. So shoot it in a 2x4 and look if there is any white chips, that will show the seal is crumbling, not good. But if you do start to shoot it, it will start to go sooner or later. I have paid around $400.00 for one,in good condition, then totally tear them down, about $100.00. A rebuilt 300s basic stock in good condition and rebuilt is a $500.00 Gun. The upgraded models go for more. My 1969 Tyrolean is A $1,000 gun in excellent condition. Hope that helps. Pete

I agree... there's no way I'm gonna shoot this till it gets serviced.

Back in the day the local club bought quite a number of air pistols and rifles and had matches for years. They furnished the guns. We shot 4-position (just like gallery rifle) at 10 meters, scopes were allowed. They always had a surprizingly large turn-out... 20 or 25 competitors every week. It was indoors and this was in Michigan winter. Once people found out how much fun it was, the more serious shooters bought their own guns.

There were a couple of other good shooters and a lot of rookies. I won the club championship every year but it really wasn't all that big a deal... I have had an NRA Master Card in smallbore rifle since 1969. Anyway, this gun is a shooter and brings back all sorts of good memories... No way am I gonna take a chance on damaging it.

FWIW Glorya won both the women's rifle and pistol competition every year.

I'll post a couple of pictures.

Last edited:

Both sides of the 300S. Note that it's French walnut and with better figure than most. This gun is in 98+% condition, better than one could expect for a gun that has been shot a lot.

I took these pics in haste. Ignore the other stuff on the table.

300s

Looking at the solid plastic fiber trigger it is about a 1974 model. ( Same as my main gun I shoot) Has the black flared pistol grip cap also...the two clues to the manufacturing date. They outlawed those black flares A year or so later. An advantage they said with the flare to hold your hand in place! One reason I like that model...just shows them off more. These guns new back then cost about $1300.00, they are a pure work of art, as is the Thomas. I have an old old beater, I may try to grind out the left side of loading port to help my fingers on my bad days.

I agree... there's no way I'm gonna shoot this till it gets serviced.

Back in the day the local club bought quite a number of air pistols and rifles and had matches for years. They furnished the guns. We shot 4-position (just like gallery rifle) at 10 meters, scopes were allowed. They always had a surprizingly large turn-out... 20 or 25 competitors every week. It was indoors and this was in Michigan winter. Once people found out how much fun it was, the more serious shooters bought their own guns.

There were a couple of other good shooters and a lot of rookies. I won the club championship every year but it really wasn't all that fair... I have had an NRA Master Card in smallbore rifle since 1969. Anyway, this gun is a shooter and brings back all sorts of good memories... No way am I gonna take a chance on damaging it.

FWIW Glorya won both the women's rifle and pistol competition every year.

I'll post a couple of pictures.

If your intent is to sell I'm interested

Ed Hosier
ehosier@gmail.com

Pete B.

I sent a long answer to your PM. Did you get it? I'm not too swift with messaging. ?????

My email: "writer1937a@gmail.com".

If I sell this the price will have to be very close to $700.00. A tad expensive but, when you get the rifle, you will not be disappointed. I doubt that you will ever find a better one. I will sent a few accessories with it... whatever I can find. I know there is a good Beeman's cleaning rod and some of the H & N match pellets that were packed singly. If I can find it, it's in the file, I have the test target that came from FWB with the gun. It's one tiny seventeen caliber hole.

Fourteen years ago I found an old Porsche sitting beside the road with a "For sale" sign on it. I'm not a muscle car guy and I've always wanted a Porsche. Anyway, the owner was firm at $7000.00. According to Hagerty's and Sportscar Market magazine it was worth $6000.00. The guy was a hardass and I ended up paying the seven, justified in my own mind by condition and low mileage. Over the years I have done some work improving it and have taken very good care of it. Last summer, when I renewed the insurance, Hagerty's told me it was worth $16,400.00. The morale of the story... sometimes you can pay a lot and come out smelling like a rose.

If I had any matches to shot this in, I would keep it... lots of good memories and quite a few trophys.

Dick

Last edited:
The 300's ruled the scene for a long time in isu. we had a few as club guns which I got use for awhile. My personal unit was a RWS 75, followed many years later by a Annie 2002 and then a 2002ca . Sadly me and my eyes no longer play nicely with iron sights. Also got to play with the Steyr co2 rifle when it became available as well as the Crossman Co2 unit ( forget the model numbers)

The eyes thing is just a fact of life. When we set up the local matches, we took that into consideration. This is an area where people move to when they retire. Lots of older folks who need reading glasses. We allowed the scopes and... no problem.

I also have one of these rifles where can you either get them rebuilt or get rebuild kits? Also what kind of scope mount will fit on these?

MRL:

I sent you a PM with the info you require, please let me know if you need any further assistance.

Best regards,

AZ

Last edited:
Back