FEDEX scam

fedex has whole facilities for this,I work on material handling systems for fed ex,ups and some usps. In columbus ohio we installed a new sorter for a fedex hub that was strictly for resorting packages from fedex into usps system I didnt know they did it either till a couple years ago.Bob barnhart.

I buy and sell a fair amount of gold and silver, mostly in the form of coins. Everybody, including the biggest dealers, uses USPS. For shipments over a thousand or two, registered and insured is as safe as it's possible to get on this planet shy of your own armored can. One of the biggest dealers let it be known that they had made registered shipments in the hundreds of thousands with no loss. I've made maybe two hundred shipments, including 5 or 6 registered, without incident.

fedx sucks

Sent a pistol to my bother they said i had to pay next day air, paid the guy then he had the balls to tell me it should be there in 4 days.

Shipping rates and delivery options

Part of the issue seems to be the shipping rate you select.

At Midway for instance, they have a UPS "basic" rate that you can select as the least expensive delivery option. If you look at their rate explanation, it says delivery may be by UPS or by USPS. Its their option. In my case, I am in a rural area and have no carrier delivery. Only a post office box. Delivery via USPS means I have to drive 10 miles to the post office to pick up th item.

Selecting "UPS Ground" is more expensive but says it will be delivered by UPS to your address. Of course out here in the country, that still may not guarantee exact delivery. :(
Joe

USPS(Post Office) goes to every house 6 days a week and the mailman/lady knows you by your first name. The other guys, well they are the other guys. If the item is very valuable use Registered Mail. Expensive, but the safest way.

Bill, (ret, 37 yrs United States Post Office)

Mailman

The mailman does NOT come to my house ever. I am in a rural location with no delivery. I do have a box at the local Post Office. I have to drive 10 miles one way to check it.

For many years, I lived in a large urban area and did have delivery either to my box in front of the house or to a central group of boxes in the neighborhood. That was not necessarily a guarantee of getting the right mail.

Joe

Our UPS driver has been working this route for over 20yrs., and is getting ready to retire in another month or so. He's a hunter/shooter, and belongs to our local gun club. He knows where my folks & sisters live & work, so if I give him advance notice when I'm going to be out of town for a few days, I don't have to worry about packages sitting outdoors while I'm away. OTOH, a year or so ago, while he was on vacation, a substitute driver left a package containing new BAT 3L action on my front steps (facing the county road), which I didn't find for a couple of days, as I park in my attached garage/shop, and seldom come in or go out of the front door.

The FedEx driver is also a friend-of-a-friend, a shooter, and always gives me a call on my cell phone when he's got a package for me. Couldn't ask for better service on this end from either company.

The local USPS postmistress is a good gal, and actively solicited my business when I started shipping stuff in connection with a part-time gunsmithing business.

The only memorable issue I've had with any of these folks was when FedEx tried to deliver a CMP Rem40X last year - I was roading our tractor down to the house in anticipation of receiving & signing for the package, when, from about 1/2mi. away, I saw the FedEx van drive into my yard. Not having the driver's cell # (this was from a different terminal than the above-mentioned driver), I couldn't do anything more than try to attract his attention by flashing the tractor's lights. That didn't work, so rather than have the 40X sit in their terminal over the weekend, I cleaned up a bit, jumped in the Hemi Magnum, picked up a ladyfriend, and drove the 60mi. to their terminal before closing time. I got there in time to sign for the rifle, had a good dinner with the ladyfriend, and got home in time to unpack & inspect the rifle. It's all about priorities....

Back