FEDEX scam

A

amamnn

This may not be news to some, but it was to me and recently and it pissed me off a LOT!!! Apparently Fedex is subcontracting some of their deliveries to USPS--for the uninformed--that is the new name of the post office when you select shippers for an online order.

Recently, I ordered two items--one was not firearm related but it WAS fedex. USPS and UPS were options for shipping and the UPS was the same price as FEDEX but---------------------------USPS was CHEAPER---but took a lot longer.

I was amazed when the FEDEX shipment #1 took 2 days longer to arrive here (WA state) than ever before and it came via my rural route postal carrier, who informed me that this was nothing new........................fast forward to the latest shipping outrage from FEDEX--watching the tracking information I see that my order from a supplier of ultrasonic gun cleaning solvent has been pushed back SEVERAL days and given to USPS. I paid for FEDEX service-- I had the option of paying less for USPS "service" but opted for the more expensive FEDEX "service" what I got was USPS "service."

Until and unless this practice is stopped I am informing any retailer with whom I deal online that I will not complete any order that leaves me no option but FEDEX. I urge you to do the same.

Ah, the joys of capitalism. I happen to be in favor of capitalism. If you like the service the shipper gives you, use them; if not, don't! Now that you know the shipper has changed their practice, you can re-adjust.

At least they can make the choice, rather than having to follow the dictates of some government official!

USPS contracts with both Fedex and UPS, they have for several years. It's not suprising that in some areas. Fedex would contract with USPS to deliver some of their packages. Nothing new in modern industry and services.

Hovis

I ALWAYS ask for USPS. It's MUCH cheaper and in many cases faster than those other guys.

I recently ordered a F/L sizing Die from Gunstop Reloading Supplies [Gunstop.com] in Minnetonka, Minnesota on a Tuesday afternoon around 1:00 P.M via their normal mailing method [which in this case was the small USPS flat rate box for around $4.60]. The package ... believe it or not ... was sitting on my doorstep at 12:30 P.M. Wednesday afternoon !!!! From Minnetonka, MN to Austin, TX in less than 24 hours!

I called to thank Gunstop for the great service. They said, "Thank the Postal Service, they're the ones who got it to you so fast, besides ... from Minnesota to Texas it's all down hill!" :D :)

I mailed a money order from SC to WA Priority Mail with delivery confirmation on March 4. As of yesterday,March 12, it had made it to TX !!!!!
MC

It seems

USPS contracts with both Fedex and UPS, they have for several years. It's not suprising that in some areas. Fedex would contract with USPS to deliver some of their packages. Nothing new in modern industry and services.

Hovis

to happen in more rural delivery areas were fedex just doesn't have a large number to deliver on any given day or during certain periods. They slough it off to the PO which, say what you may, delivers regularly. I use nothing but USPS if I am shipping a long gun for repair. NO HASSLES

Not sure of the level of service in the rest of the country but in my area of N FLA Fedex is terrible. In the last year I've had 2 packages disappear which Fedex claims were delivered to a person at the door. I now avoid their service even if it costs extra and get much better results from UPS or the post office. Oh, good luck if you ever file a claim with Fedex . . .

Whatever I ship out goes USPS. I stopped using UPS because of their rates, especially shipping to another country. Rates are more than double when doing this. However, it should be noted - you cannot track with USPS as you can with the others. Even so, I have never had a customer complain about the service or a package getting lost.

Fedex

I sent a very well packaged custom rifle to a customer in Maryland.

The package looked like it was run over by a truck.

The custom target rifle was bent at the tenon action juncture where when a yard stick was put along the outside edge there was a 3 inch gap in the middle.

I had taken out $3,600.00 of their insurance. I filed a claim and 9 months later they still had not made a settlement. I even sent a restricted delivery letter to the President of the company without a reply.

Not until I began a civil action against the company and subpoena started arriving did they pay up for the damages.

I closed my company account with them and throw rocks at their trucks when they drive by.

I tell my customers that I will not receive a package from FEDEX that requires a signature and the package will be returned to them.

My shop is in one location and my day job is in another. So I am not their to sign for the packages. I have to drive 80 miles to go pick them up.

Now the USPS has closed their post office on Saturdays in my town.

UPS is not much better but they allow me to pick up from their terminal locally.

Nat Lambeth

I sent a very well packaged custom rifle to a customer in Maryland.

The package looked like it was run over by a truck.

The custom target rifle was bent at the tenon action juncture where when a yard stick was put along the outside edge there was a 3 inch gap in the middle.

I had taken out $3,600.00 of their insurance. I filed a claim and 9 months later they still had not made a settlement. I even sent a restricted delivery letter to the President of the company without a reply.

Not until I began a civil action against the company and subpoena started arriving did they pay up for the damages.

I closed my company account with them and throw rocks at their trucks when they drive by.

I tell my customers that I will not receive a package from FEDEX that requires a signature and the package will be returned to them.

My shop is in one location and my day job is in another. So I am not their to sign for the packages. I have to drive 80 miles to go pick them up.

Now the USPS has closed their post office on Saturdays in my town.

UPS is not much better but they allow me to pick up from their terminal locally.

Nat Lambeth

Nat;

If this experience were on the front page of USA today, be assured they would change policy. What a horrible story. It had to cost you out of pocket to begin proceedings as well...

I ship packages with FedEx on an almost daily basis. Most of these packages have a value of $100 or less and cost $10-15 to ship. It's true that in many rural locations both FedEx & UPS contract with a USPS rural carrier to deliver. Otherwise the cost of delivering one package to an address 15-20 miles from a town with a population of 1000 would be out of sight.

Over the past 10 years, I've had to file less than a dozen claims for loss or damage. Only one was held up. This was for a custom barrel that disappeared between Memphis & Jackson MS and has never turned up. I had to prove the cost & value of the barrel even though I had insured it for the valued amount. I got my money.

In the past two months, I've had two packages badly damaged. I recieved checks for the full valued amount about one week after I filed the claim.
I've found that most of the problems come from the local delivery person in a given area. There is little you can do about that whether it's a commercial carrier or a USPS employee. Getting pissed at FedEx or UPS because an employee is a screw up is non-productive. If it's company policy you don't like, that's another issue. The fact is, we can't hand deliver our stuff all over the country. Relax, have a beer and get over it.

Rick

fedx

I can not begin to list the problems we have had with fedx delivery. We have complained about the drivers without any results.

Our local UPS drivers are very nice.

No problems with USPS.

Fedex

What is even sadder is the NSSF has allowed FEDEX become one of their endorsed companies.

Yes, I went out and bought my customer a brand new action and new custom barrel and re chambered it and sent it to him via UPS this time. I had a wad of my own cash outlayed until the settlement. I am still was out a couple hundred dollars and about 10 months worth of time and heart ache and stress.

In my opinion Fedex sucks. Sorry if this offends anyone.

Nat Lambeth

When it comes to long arms, I think anybody that ships a rifle in a cardboard box is looking for trouble. Many years ago a seller insisted that I pay him the cost of a plastic gun case and the resulting extra shipping costs due to the weight. That rifle was shipped UPS with an outer cardboard sleeve, but the plastic case was still badly cracked. The rifle avoided damage. Another example; Soon after that, I had a $1,600 Colt AR15 arrive with the front post sticking out of the double cardboard box. Lesson well learned!

Now, a $25 plastic case and the extra $20 shipping weight is the only way I'll ever ship a rifle. Also, the only way I ship a barrel is to cut two wooden end plugs for the box it ships in. Never have problems.

I own a courier business. Fedex and UPS often contract out certain deliveries. The thing that really "frost my ba$$'s in the fuel surcharge business. They pass along about 10% of the surcharge to the subcontractor. This is on items from their Electronic Warehouse's that have been in place for months. They aren't buying any fuel. They also take forever to pay the subcontractor. I no longer deal with them. Much of the damage occurs during the night as packages are sorted. When the supervisor steps out the part timers play games. Tossing for distance is a big one. Just talk to someone who has worked there. DHL tried to give the "big two" some serious competition but they lost tons of money trying to catch up. I don't see things ever changing. I just have my little niche with direct deliveries. Never a loss, never any damage.

I mailed a money order from SC to WA Priority Mail with delivery confirmation on March 4. As of yesterday,March 12, it had made it to TX !!!!!
MC

You shouldn't waste money or time on mailing a letter via USPS Priority Mail. It will take longer, and cost a LOT more, than a regular first class stamp.

Whenever I sell something, I plead with buyers NOT to use anything but a first class stamp. It's fast, cheap, and NEVER gets lost. How many times has your utility bill or mortgage payment gotten lost? (Answer: never!)

Even so, some paranoid types somehow think that paying more for tracking, etc. will get them better service. Not compared to a first class stamp. No way. I love the USPS for flat rate priority mail boxes, and first class mail. I hate them for so-called "express" service. Never had it arrive on time, and it cost a bunch.

For next day air, as in letters and the like, you cannot beat FedEx. But I don't like them for anything else.

UPS Ground, for bulkier stuff, is a good bet.

None of them are good at everything, so you gotta choose accordingly.

And for crying out loud, if you send money, use a regular first class stamp. Figure two or three days from NY to CA. That's a great deal, and it's what they do best at the USPS.

If I get stuff that requires an adult signature in person, that's a PITA, and normally it gets returned to sender. I'm not going to wait in line at the Post Office for damn sure on a weekend, nor take time off work -- just so somebody sending me a couple hundred bucks can feel less paranoid. Stamp it, lick it, send it. Done.

It's the people that the end.
My UPS guy. Does not show up on Fridays. 10 min. from terminal.
FedEx does show up on Sat. Sometimes.
USPS. She had a bad back. Would not deliver boxes. No matter how small. At Christmas. The post office had some else deliver boxes.
A guy at work. His USPS person is dyslexic or just can't read. She delivers almost all his mail to the next street. And they are not good neighbors. They deny ever getting anything.

I shipped a scope to Nightforce couple years ago and UPS charged me an extra $4 plus because they are in a rural area.

ups costs

ups has done this for quite awhile even to my commercial address in the country but i can understand.

figure the driver and truck expense maybe 4.00 doesnt even cover it!!

too bad for us.

bob

Back