Federal Gold Medal UM22 & 922A

Peter, Federal got sold, the line shut down, not enough volume. It had nothing to do with anything moving anywhere.

Tim
I’m saying Federal couldn’t make any money on rimfire ammo against good but cheaper overseas products and the only reason Lapua and Eley were that much cheaper at that time was exchange rates.

At the moment the Euro is high and that makes Lapua and RWS more expensive outside of Europe and Eley cheaper within Europe and if the Euro went higher it would affect the volume Lapua and RWS sell in the same way as what happened to Federal.

Peter

is the cost ganna come down any at all? from what i have been reading on here it is kinda pricey. higher than the good lapua you know. it would be great to see a qaulity match grade ammo made here in the u.s.a. at a affordable price. not made to a american companies specs in another country. it could help keep the price down to a reasonable level and give the american shooter a since of pride to shoot a american made hogh qaulity ammo from a american maker again.

Why would it be cheaper if made here? Plain fact, ammo has never been better. You get what you pay for. Most guys are, plain and simple, looking for X's.

Tim
I’m saying Federal couldn’t make any money on rimfire ammo against good but cheaper overseas products and the only reason Lapua and Eley were that much cheaper at that time was exchange rates.

At the moment the Euro is high and that makes Lapua and RWS more expensive outside of Europe and Eley cheaper within Europe and if the Euro went higher it would affect the volume Lapua and RWS sell in the same way as what happened to Federal.

Peter

When Federal got sold the new owners made a decesion that the volume of sales would not justify their continuation of essentially a single line dedicated to target markets.

Why would it be cheaper if made here? Plain fact, ammo has never been better. You get what you pay for. Most guys are, plain and simple, looking for X's.

if your looking for x's then look for eley or lapua!!! noboby makes a american made rimfire ammo that will compete with eley or lapua!! i's that simple. if somebody made one that would compete it wouls sell!!! the thing is NOBODY here at home makes anything!!! the new federal is simply reboxed rws!!!! if they make it it doesn't matter what name is on the box, it's rws!!!!!

so... back to the question...

Has anyone tested the new Federal UM22? What was your test results?

I bought a case...

Federal Premium Gold Medal UltraMatch UM22 Lot # 678AD803. Got the case last summer. I have been shooting 50 yard receiver sight BR with the A23-5 targets. Summers I am at Cape Cod and winters in Florida. Rifles used include a Remington 40x, a Winchester 52C, a Winchester 52D and a Kimber 82G. The other ammo I have used in these on line matches include Eley Black box and Lapua Midas M & L, which I got in mixed lots from another IR 50/50 BR shooter. I can not say any of these are better than any of the others. I really want an American company to make good ammo and then happy to buy it, even if it is pricy. I think I would need to shoot the UM22 in IR 50/50 for a while to be able to tell how it compared in that specific rifle to the other brands I had been using.

If it's really RWS R-50, I got two words- George Barnard. Two years ago (or was it three?) he took his motorhome, his dog, and his Swindlehurst and two lots of R-50 on tour around the Northeast and cleaned house just about everywhere he went. I know he shot at least one 750 agg IR50/50 Unlimited match with it.

Like any other ammo, you won't know if it shoots until you try it in your gun.
Todd

Thanks Todd... :) That K C Young smithed Swindlehurst sure liked those 2 cases of R-50 I got from Champions Choice for $1100.00 each... That rifle got me in the HOF in that year and a half, and now sits in the safe... Still have about 5 bricks left and the last time I shot the rifle was the ARA NY State match in 2007... (and only time that year)

I have been tuna fishing with a 25' Grady White and twin 150 HP Yamahas for the last couple of years now, and just got back from the keys where I spent last winter... Damn it's cold up here, lol...

Nice to read this, haven't been to the site in a while...

George

aka wc

I've tryed (2 boxes) of Federal

I shoot R50 in a Swindelhurst .........it shoots it better than my skills......
shot one box of the Federal Would not buy any more.

federal gold um22

tried this ammo months ago, seems to shoot very well and must be considered one of the top ammos available......
ifldned

I know its been years, but....It still brings an angry tear to my eye to think the Fed UM1 and 900B are lost forever.:mad:

Well not completely lost forever, I still have a brick of UM1 lot #1284 laying around.

Tested some in my 40X this past week. I didn't notice any difference in groups that would make me say wow. But I did notice the brass duller than dirt. I'm sure my 40X just didn't like it. Around here a box of 50 goes for $17. Funny thing is the 711B did just as well :confused:. Still the Eley BB does better for less. Just my .02. Jeff

Back