Farley compact or Shadetree

From another relative newby...Save your money on the caldwell rest. If you plan to do any serious shooting, even if it is local matches or just to enjoy shooting small groups on your own you WILL want to upgrade to a better rest. You will always wonder if your groups would be that much better if you had a more steady and precise rest.
Tuck that money away until you can afford a proven rest: shadetree, sinclair, bald eagle, farley, cowan, etc...If you don't like shooting BR after a while, you will recoupe the majority of your investment with a proven rest.
I started with a caldwell rock rest which is great for my plinking and messing around with my .223. Then I got a sinclair rest and a good rear bag for my 30br...huge difference. Heavy, precise, and dependable.
Mike

Hi Mike:

I have a Sinclair rest with a windage top, and want to improve the top. Two things I don't like about the top:

+The windage system is not as nicely designed as the rest of the rest
+The forward stop bolt (which limits the forward travel of the rifle's stock) is not as nicely designed as the rest of the rest

Migs

Caldwell fire

support rest is JUNK. I bought one and after using it for one practice session I boxed it up and sent it back to Midway.

I sold my Caldwell Rock BR and am getting a Cowan. I knew hardly anything about front rests when I bought it. I just saw some avid shooters at the range with the Rock BR. They have since moved on and so have I.

If you have a base and want to upgrade cost effectively...buy the shadetree. If you want a dedicated co-ax...buy the farley.

Hovis

Disagree here...

From another relative newby...Save your money on the caldwell rest. If you plan to do any serious shooting, even if it is local matches or just to enjoy shooting small groups on your own you WILL want to upgrade to a better rest. You will always wonder if your groups would be that much better if you had a more steady and precise rest.
Tuck that money away until you can afford a proven rest: shadetree, sinclair, bald eagle, farley, cowan, etc...If you don't like shooting BR after a while, you will recoupe the majority of your investment with a proven rest.
I started with a caldwell rock rest which is great for my plinking and messing around with my .223. Then I got a sinclair rest and a good rear bag for my 30br...huge difference. Heavy, precise, and dependable.
Mike

I have a Cowan rest and decided to try the Caldwell joystick rest (what the hell, a very reasonable cost). I'm a Hunter score shooter and find it very convenient to use and easy to adjust to my personal joystick tension preferences. I did substitute a Sinclair cordova bag ($12) to replace the one that came with the rest as it is more rugged and provides a slicker surface. For the money, I think one gets a lot of product for $179. When and if I tire of it, I can easily sell it to less competitive shooters. An $800 or for that matter a $400-$500 rest is a lot harder to pass on.

By-the-way, I'm still keeping the Cowan in reserve...just in case.;)

virg

I also have butch's and think it's first rate, really like moving in the same direction. i think the other way would be kinda confusing. george

Im a new BR shooter slowly upgrading my equipment (as my budget alows)
I need a decent rest top, I have narrowed it down to the Farley Compact and Shadetree as they are priced the same $375, which is better, or is there any other good top in this range.
Jonathan K

Get the shadetree,it's made by a great guy and will bend over backwards to please.

I couldn't find the Cowan rest online anywhere. Can someone point me please?

Thanks amigos! -Migs

I should not comment but I must

1. calvin your front gab is terrible I dont know how you can shoot off of it. we shall talk

2. the farmey compact bag is very narrow and the ears may not be perfect for me,
get a regular farley rest, much better,

3. butch is a standup guy, I will email him and tell him the 2 prople in canada not to deal with on his triggers,
(the one he knows already)

Jeffy

I couldn't find the Cowan rest online anywhere. Can someone point me please?

Thanks amigos! -Migs

This is the contact information I have for Joe Cowan. I don't know it's still current, it's been two years since I last had contact with him.

Joe Cowan
Greater Altoona Career & Technology Center
1500 Fourth Ave.
Altoona, PA 16602
(814) 946-8486
cowanhaus@verizon.net

I have the Compact and prefer it over the Shadetree. I did install a 1.5" round knob on the Shadetree I had and it was much better imo. To me, the 'reverse' action of the Compact is more natural. In score shooting I shoot from the bottom to the top and I like the fact that my hand is getting closer to the bench as I progress up the bulls.

For 25 and 50 yard aishooting neither has enough range of motion to cover the entire target.

I had Butch Lambert make a longer rifle stop plate for my Shade Tree rest. This made it possible for the rifle to have more windage swing solving my problem of using it on a ARA 50 yard target. I like to post my target sideways (landscape). The longer plate with more mounting holes for the Shade Tree rifle stop stud allows the rifle to set a little more forward on the front rest when needed thus allowing more swing.

If you ever meet Butch, he's one of the nicest persons you'll ever meet. And he will bend over backward to try to please you.

I already contacted Cowan and he said 2009 was sold out. I still put my name in the bag for the next iteration. Thanks guys! -Migs

Cowan Rest Arrived

I just took delivery of my Cowan rest. The fit and finish of this rest is awesome. I'm looking forward to using it tomorrow! :D

Back