Farley compact or Shadetree

JonathanK

Im a new BR shooter slowly upgrading my equipment (as my budget alows)
I need a decent rest top, I have narrowed it down to the Farley Compact and Shadetree as they are priced the same $375, which is better, or is there any other good top in this range.
Jonathan K

I need a decent rest top, I have narrowed it down to the Farley Compact and Shadetree as they are priced the same $375, which is better, or is there any other good top in this range.
Jonathan K

PM on it's way..........

johnathan

never used a farley but I'm very happy with my shadetree.Jim

Jonathan K

Great question, sign me up for being a new guy with the same question.

The shadetree is first rate and Butch is first rate to deal with, when I called him and ordered mine I had it in 2 days. Great service! I personaly prefer it to the farley2 as you move the handle the way you want to go where the farley moves backwards. Steve

Get the Shadetree

I have used the Shadetree for two years and love it. Butch is great to deal with and you'll love his front rest.

Shadetree

I went through the same decision process a little over a year ago...I gotta give the nod to the Shadetree too! Steve was kind enough to lend me his for a match and I was hooked...I know folks who like their Farley tops, but my boys and I have 2 of the Shadetrees and love 'em! I had both very quickly and Butch was as great to deal with as everyone said he would be!

There is a new joystick front rest in town! The Caldwell Fire Control.

43926.jpg

http://www.opticsplanet.net/caldwell-fire-control-front-rest-and-full-length-version.html

Junk or good starter product?

Well take it

43926.jpg

http://www.opticsplanet.net/caldwell-fire-control-front-rest-and-full-length-version.html

Junk or good starter product?

from me or any other starter, if you can hold off do so and do it right the first time.

The Caldwell MAY be a OKAY starter but in the long run you will DEFINATELY step up in rest in very short order.

I have a Shadetree top and it took me some time to get used to it but I am starting to like the co-axial tops.

I just made 2 modifications to it and that was replacing the existing knob with a larger gear shifter knob and putting a bend in the rod sp my hand would sit more comfortably on the table.

Attachments

• 2008_0724Image0020.jpg
    2008_0724Image0020.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 1,107
  • 2008_0724Image0022.jpg
    2008_0724Image0022.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 935
I'd sure like to get my hands on one of these new joystick rests to see if it's well made or just junk. The temptation is great.....

Cadwell rest

I played with one at a superstore this week. Granted I don't own a ShadeTree, but soon will, and I have only felt of a couple of Farleys. The Cadwell was no comparison in my opinion. The adjustment felt course and the biggest was that a small movement of the handle was a big movement on the rest. I know the shadetree has 20" of motion at 100 yds. I think I read the Cadwell has over 60". I can't find that number on the web any where. However, if the Cadwell is not a bad value for less than $200. But it is not BR quality I don't think.

tiny

Wow...what a price...but...

For the price, this rest is awful tempting if even to experiment with. But for serious benchrest work the mechanism must be super precise and absolutely no back lash. Now granted, I haven't had experience with this rest...but, I'd hardly expect ultra precision to be built into this rest at this price. But...maybe some sole will be willing to try one out and prove me wrong. We'll see...:rolleyes:

virg

I went with Shadetree too. I was sorta leaning that way before I decided because it fits everyone's front bag and I could change bags for different fore ends for VFS and hunter class. I don't think you can do this with the Farley. The reviews I got here made the decision a no brainer. Mine is on a Bald Eagle slingshot, I added an extension to the handle to get me past the rear leg of the base and put the bend in the extension. I also took the rear leveling screw out of the rear leg and put a regular bolt in it's place with a point ground on the bottom. It has speeded up the shooting process and like it a LOT. Has been one best decisions in shooting gear I ever made.
Larry

I have used the Shadetree for two years and love it. Butch is great to deal with and you'll love his front rest.
These are my exact same words. I asked Butch to make a slight modification to the front rifle stop of my shadetree rest and he went out of his way to please me.

I have had one of Butches tops for a couple of years. I use it with my HBR rifles. If there is a flaw in the design or workmanship I sure have never seen it. In a word; excellent. Besides he comes up with a lot of other neat things.

Mike Swartz

Can the owners of the Farley Compact please relate their comments and experiences? I would really like to hear what they have to say, as I am in the market for one.

Thanks amigos,
Migs

I have a Farley compact and love it. It does have oposite movement of the handle compared to their big rest. But since I never used a toggle rest before I didn't know the difference. At the last Denton match I shared a bench with a friend that has the big Farley. I was forever having to remember which way to move the handle. Movement is very smooth and easily adjustable. The Farley compact does come with a front bag, but it is small and the ears do not fill out real good. The bag is cordura. If I had to buy one or the other today I would probably go with the Shadetree. But I got mine when they were first introduced at $310. Workmanship is outstanding as I am sure is the Shadetree.

Donald

I have the Compact and prefer it over the Shadetree. I did install a 1.5" round knob on the Shadetree I had and it was much better imo. To me, the 'reverse' action of the Compact is more natural. In score shooting I shoot from the bottom to the top and I like the fact that my hand is getting closer to the bench as I progress up the bulls.

For 25 and 50 yard aishooting neither has enough range of motion to cover the entire target.

You won't find a more honest person to deal with then Butch at Shadetree.

Back