Falcon actions!

Magikhands

I am looking at buying a falcon action. After asking a couple of the veteran shooters at my local club about it I am leery going ahead with the purchase. One shoots a 2500x and the other a new turbo. While I would love to have Langley or Stiller build me a brand new rifle I just dont have the funds. There advice was to look at the AMA nationals leaderboard and pull up an equipment list to see how many Falcons were in the running. I did and only one. When I google falcon rifle builds there are several people that talk good about them and very little negative out there. Am I missing something... why are there not more of them being used in ama? Any advice is welcome.

I am looking at buying a falcon action. After asking a couple of the veteran shooters at my local club about it I am leery going ahead with the purchase. One shoots a 2500x and the other a new turbo. While I would love to have Langley or Stiller build me a brand new rifle I just dont have the funds. There advice was to look at the AMA nationals leaderboard and pull up an equipment list to see how many Falcons were in the running. I did and only one. When I google falcon rifle builds there are several people that talk good about them and very little negative out there. Am I missing something... why are there not more of them being used in ama? Any advice is welcome.

Because, often, they need a lot of work to become an actual BR action and there are more than a few out there that have been cobbed up.
The most expensive thing could do is save money on the action. If you are not well versed on action pluses and minuses, buy the 2500X.....it needs zero to function properly.

The maker of Falcons

sorta dropped out of making them years ago. I heard he makes expensive 1911's or the like instead. I've seen at least one that shoots well. Doug Bell has one that does ok, as I remember. Falcon made some right eject actions back when others weren't making them, which was nifty.

There are those who say Halls don't shoot either but there is one shooting in Jacksonville this winter that is cleaning a few clocks. Beware of those who say custom made actions need a lot of work to be competitive. Chances are, they are regurgitating third or fourth hand information. They have been proven wrong often.

Pete

Hall's and Falcons are fantastic actions. I Have both and they shoot quite well with the right barrel ammo cmbo. Never a miss fire with either one.

Thanks for all the advice.

I appriciate the time everyone took to give me opinions and information. I did end up buying the falcon as the price was to good to pass up. I hope I don't regret my decision. I am in all honesty nearly sick waiting to get it so I can take it to the range and see if I made a mistake.

Better late than never...

I hope your new Falcon serves you well. I have a Falcon with a Benchmark barrel that's served me quite well. Very reliable.

Enjoy!

The barrel is your next choice to make. I like the Shilen Octagon I have on my Hall, so I'm putting one on my Falcon. So far, I've had a Shilen 8 grove Chromoly,a Border and a Mueller 8 Grove, and the all shot well. Barrel and ammo combination is what you need to shoot for. ( No pun intended )

I should know more Thursday!

I'm not sure what I'm getting. The rifle was built in whole by Leonard Baity 4 years ago. I am buying it used from an individual that thinks it has a Douglas premium barrel. When I talked to Leonard about it he thinks it has a Shillen ratchet. I will have wait and see when it gets here if one of the fellas that I shoot with can tell me what it is. Then yes time to start the ammo hunt. I have a lead on a few good lots that are available from a fellow shooter that I am trying to get to do some testing.

What Leonard Thinks

I think I would go with Leonard on this one, unless the seller tells you different. I don't see any need to do any work on the action as it has been used for 4 years and was built by the man that designed that action. When Testing ammo, again, what did Leonard build it for. If that's an unknown, I would test both Eley and Lapua. I would start with Black Box and Cenrter X. Until you get the feel of the ammo it likes, only then would I invest in 5 or 6 different lots of that brand and see how it shoots. Keep us posted.
Here are photos of my Falcon in two different stocks

Attachments

• Falcon  BR 1042.jpg
    Falcon BR 1042.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 431
  • SN0042WYStock.jpg
    SN0042WYStock.jpg
    767.3 KB · Views: 408
Last edited:
I'm not sure what I'm getting. The rifle was built in whole by Leonard Baity 4 years ago. I am buying it used from an individual that thinks it has a Douglas premium barrel. When I talked to Leonard about it he thinks it has a Shillen ratchet. I will have wait and see when it gets here if one of the fellas that I shoot with can tell me what it is. Then yes time to start the ammo hunt. I have a lead on a few good lots that are available from a fellow shooter that I am trying to get to do some testing.

I got your PM, but I am not sure the reply was sent. To answer your question, yes I do. Its a good solid action, works as good as any available. I actually considered buying the one your getting, but I wanted to see it first. Just could not get the time to go look at it. Glad you got it bought, it should serve you well.

George

Nice looking rifle!

Hey Fred. Those are both nice looking set-ups. Is that a pqp lite in the pic? Leonard said he was unsure but thought he remembered putting the Shillen on it. The owner had it listed as a Douglas. Both are nice barrel makers but Shillen seems to be the thing right now so I am hoping for that. Leonard said he made it for the eley bullet. I was hoping he was going to say Lapua. I will test both as you recommended and hope the centerx does well. I have a few different lots of centerx, wolf match extra, a case of Sk rifle match and some RWS but no eley. I guess I can get some eley match and see what it does too.

Attachments

• 20191227_000934.jpg
    20191227_000934.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 359
Rest

Hey Fred. Those are both nice looking set-ups. Is that a pqp lite in the pic? Leonard said he was unsure but thought he remembered putting the Shillen on it. The owner had it listed as a Douglas. Both are nice barrel makers but Shillen seems to be the thing right now so I am hoping for that. Leonard said he made it for the eley bullet. I was hoping he was going to say Lapua. I will test both as you recommended and hope the centerx does well. I have a few different lots of centerx, wolf match extra, a case of Sk rifle match and some RWS but no eley. I guess I can get some eley match and see what it does too.

Magikhands: No the rest isn't a PDQ Lite. This rest was Built my James Pappas, some 12-15 years ago. It's a copy of the Pearson Rest. Gary Pearson was given the rights, by the original designer, Grant Pickard, as Grant didn't want to fool with building a lot of them. Upon Gary's passing, James, took over the mfg, as well as some improvements as time went on, until his death. His Daughter, Jessie, is still manufacturing the Pappas Rests. The top, is an Arnold Roller top, that works well with the Wayne Young Stock. As for the barrel on the Falcon, look closely for identifying marks on the barrel. Some, but not all, stamp or engrave the mfg, as well as their name on the barrel just in front of the action. Slugging the barrel or bore scoping it will also tell you whether or not it's a Shilen Ratchet. Best of shooting in 2020. You've made a great purchase. There as several suppliers that will help you with lots to test. I use Clint Swigert, of " Shooting for Perfection ". Great to work with.

Last edited:
Question

I have a Falcon right bolt and right port and I have trouble feeding the 22’s quickly over the scope. Would it be possible to have a machinist remove the metal on the left side of the receiver for easier feeding? Would that weaken the action too much with the heavy barrel accuracy speaking?

If yes could you tell me a good gunsmith?

Thanks!

High Noon

Butch Hongisto opened the left side of my Hall, so it could be loaded from either side. He left a Stap along the top of the action to maintain strength. My wife was right handed and I left, so it worked out well when we shared equipment at a Tournament. The Falcon should be able to handle the conversion. I don't have any other gunsmith in mind that will do that, and I don't know if Butch is still active.

My custom BR rig is right bolt, left port, so I understand and appreciate the convenience of loading ammo from the left side.
However, when I used my CZ 455 with a single-shot adapter, I inserted rounds over the action but below the scope (between the gap). Worked out fine. Have you tried that? Might have to use taller scope mounts.

Albert
I have a Falcon right bolt and right port and I have trouble feeding the 22’s quickly over the scope. Would it be possible to have a machinist remove the metal on the left side of the receiver for easier feeding? Would that weaken the action too much with the heavy barrel accuracy speaking?

If yes could you tell me a good gunsmith?

Thanks!

High Noon

What exactly needs to be said that hasn't already been said, now it seems, verified by yourself.
Check IR50/50 and PSL equipment lists as well if you like.

There advice was to look at the AMA nationals leaderboard and pull up an equipment list to see how many Falcons were in the running. I did and only one. When I google falcon rifle builds there are several people that talk good about them and very little negative out there. Am I missing something... why are there not more of them being used in ama? Any advice is welcome.

If you look long & hard enough you'll find plenty of likes & dislikes with all the actions, except Stillers.
As far as the IR equipment list goes there isn't one, other than your registration form. Never seen it on the scoring program & to be honest, have no interest in entering the chit either.lol Even when there was one, it couldn't be trusted as it likely wasn't updated.
There aren't many as I don't think they're being made any longer. Haven't heard that but haven't seen any new builds in a few years.
There's one that has won more IR National, Regional, & State events in the past 3 or 4 years than anything. More likely due to the shooter, barrel, & his choice of ammo. But there isn't any thing wrong with that Bird!

Keith

Back