Factory Sporter Bench Tecnique

mrh1958

I have been shooting in a club match that is for factory sporters only,trigger work is all thats allowed,sandbags only(front and rear) or a bipod and rear sandbag you see rifles like 452 CZ's,Savages,Rem 541's etc.Whats the best tecnique to use shooting these type rifles from the bench?Hard hold? light hold?....thanx in advance

I have been shooting in a club match that is for factory sporters only,trigger work is all thats allowed,sandbags only(front and rear) or a bipod and rear sandbag you see rifles like 452 CZ's,Savages,Rem 541's etc.Whats the best tecnique to use shooting these type rifles from the bench?Hard hold? light hold?....thanx in advance

I started out in this game shooting factory sporters (first a Rem 541THB and then a Cooper57M). I shot them over a rest with a sandbag. I found that they both liked to be held gently. You can't shoot a sporter with a very rounded forend free recoil. It will roll too much and inconsistently on recoil. Put some sort of level on the rifle (like the ones on a scope ring) as I believe it is important that these rifles be shot consistently with either no cant or the same cant each time. I've never shot using a bi-pod so I can't address how they behave. Try different methods and see what your particular rifle responds to the best.

I have a Rem 541 S I used to shoot in IR50/50 Sporter class before the custom rifles were allowed. The only way I can shoot it is to hold it in a "death grip". When I do my part consistently it will shoot in the mid 240's at times. At other tmes I can shoot it in the low 230's too.It has a Lamon Loggins trigger, bedding, second action screw, and crown job and the trigger is probably 1/2 to 3/4 lbs.
Dave

For me, I don't hold the forend of the rifle, but use a gentle grip with my trigger hand and give the rifle (Anschutz 1710 DHB) a little "shoulder".

Works for me, but like Bill said above, try a few methods and see what works best.

There's no doubt once you get it sorted, shooting these rifles accurately is very rewarding and why I prefer them over the international type sporting rifles.

Brian

Last edited by a moderator:
Craig Young once told me hug the sporter like your lover, so as opposed to the free recoil methods used in the Heavier classes i do hold a firm grip, also shoulder and cheek contact. Another Ex Olympian also told me these types of rifles prefer standard older style ammunition, that theory i can not prove or disprove at this stage.

I have been shooting in factory sporter matches(IR5050) for about four years now. I started off with a Kimber Hunter and sold it to get a Cooper 57m. Knowing what I know now, I wish I still had it, so I could see how well I could shoot it. I bought the Cooper thinking it would instantly raise my scores. Boy was I wrong. I started shooting on bi pods and just couldn't be consistent. If would push too much or too little it would throw a shot out in the 7 ring. So I went to a front rest that has a stop that I can push against. This keeps the gun in the same place every shot. I also tried the death grip hold. It seemed to work the best for me at first. I think it did because it was the only way I knew I was holding the gun the same every time. I had know idea at first how little of wrong pressure it took to throw a shot, that is another reason why the death grip worked the best. I also found by the third round I was tired of squeezing it and my consistency went away. To me, the least you have to hold it to make it shoot the better. I am still learning this process. The main thing you have to learn is how does your gun like to be held and do it EXACLY the same EVERY time. Some people can naturally do that very easily, some can't.

Craig Young once told me hug the sporter like your lover, so as opposed to the free recoil methods used in the Heavier classes i do hold a firm grip, also shoulder and cheek contact. Another Ex Olympian also told me these types of rifles prefer standard older style ammunition, that theory i can not prove or disprove at this stage.

Bill,

The current custom sporters with the minimum amount of convex to their stocks are perfectly capable of being shot well free recoil. This is how I shoot and test all such sporters. I use a Fudd front rest and so I'm able to put just a little side pressure on the forend that allows it to recoil freely without rolling in the rest. Even when I was shooting the factory sporters, I didn't use any cheek weld. Try free recoil and see what you think.

Hi i agree but i thought the original question was about factory sporters thus my answer. Probably should have made it clearer in my wording.

Last edited:
Bill,

The current custom sporters with the minimum amount of convex to their stocks are perfectly capable of being shot well free recoil. This is how I shoot and test all such sporters. I use a Fudd front rest and so I'm able to put just a little side pressure on the forend that allows it to recoil freely without rolling in the rest. Even when I was shooting the factory sporters, I didn't use any cheek weld. Try free recoil and see what you think.

Bill B,
I am not familiar with the Fudd front rest setup. However, is there a front bag brand/model that you could recommend for shooting custom sporters free recoil? When I shoot a factory sporter (Anschutz 1712 in USBR), I apply mild pressure to the grip with my right hand and just minimum cheek contact. John

Bill B,
I am not familiar with the Fudd front rest setup. However, is there a front bag brand/model that you could recommend for shooting custom sporters free recoil? When I shoot a factory sporter (Anschutz 1712 in USBR), I apply mild pressure to the grip with my right hand and just minimum cheek contact. John

The (unfortunately) discontinued Fudd is the only rest I've used to shoot the newer custom sporters. I have looked into some similar designs and if my Fudd were to break I would probably give this rest a try (it seems similar) http://drgreenlawmachining.com/new_adjustable_bag_windage_top

I think there is also an Italian made rest that is similar to the Fudd but I haven't seen it available in the US.

The (unfortunately) discontinued Fudd is the only rest I've used to shoot the newer custom sporters. I have looked into some similar designs and if my Fudd were to break I would probably give this rest a try (it seems similar) http://drgreenlawmachining.com/new_adjustable_bag_windage_top

I think there is also an Italian made rest that is similar to the Fudd but I haven't seen it available in the US.

I had one of Dan Greenlaw's windage adjustable tops on a Cauldwell Rock. Nice rest, but mine used a standard
3" cordura and leather bag. The one in the photo is a difference style, but I get the idea. Sold the Greenlaw rest when I purchased a JJ Industries front rest, followed by a Farley Coaxial II rig.

Back