F TR 308 brass ? Bullets?

6mmBR

I currently shoot a 223 for 600 F TR. I want to shoot long range as well...so I'm going to start putting together a 308. Brass seems to be the hardest thing for me to find around central PA. Looking online...found some. Question is... What brass do most folks use? I know Lapua will be up there. I'd rather start with something a little more affordable to start. What do you all think about once fired Lake city brass? I've been looking for new Winchester brass as well.

Bullets...What should I start with? Berger, Sierra, ect. What grain to start with...155's,185's?

Thanks again

I am learning about all of this as well. But I started off with 500 pieces of Hornady Match brass before I knew anything, but will switch to Lapua as it is USUALLY accepted as the best, most consistent, and strong.

Bullets: I am using 175 SMK's for longer distances ie 600 plus, so far I am happy with the SMK. But I also picked up some 155 Scenar-L's to load up with Varget and see what they do at 1K.

Lapua Palma Brass will last longer before the primer pockets open up.

I shoot Berger 200 hybrids and 185 Juggernauts, BR-4 Primers and Varget or H4895.

I have a bunch of IMI match but I suspect they are Israeli mil without crimps...They weigh out no different than LC match...have a bunch never loaded from 15 years ago...How do you keep 308 supersonic at 1000 yards without using Palma or lapua 155" s ? I have a 30" barrel...What do you use?.Charlie

168g SMK, 2850 fps IV, 1184 fps @ 1000yrds

Let me know what your IV is and I'll wash it through the software.

I use Lapua, Lake City Match, and some Federal Match. The federal is a bit soft so I use it in a short range gun (300-500M) using 168 Sierras. This rifle has a tight neck (.334) and requires turning. The barrel is a 14 twist so it's not really suitable for long range. I use lake city in it as well and like it better than the Federal. Seems as consistent and I can load it hotter if I want to.
For long range I use Lapua brass and 155 Scenars in a twelve twist barrel and Federal brass with Sierra 190's in a 26cm twist (Swiss barrel). I really like the Scenars. They don't shoot quite as well as the Sierra 168's but they are close and are better in the wind and work well at long range. For me, the 175's have shot OK but not quite as well as the Scenars. I have shot some 178 A-Max and they shoot quite well but not as well as the scenars.
I turn necks in the lathe by pressing the case onto a mandrel. With the Lapua brass, only about five per hundred will wobble much when they are on the mandrel. Both Federal and the Lake city show about fifteen percent wobblers. Some IVI brass I turned had about twenty percent which did NOT wobble. Still, performance on the target was close enough that I can't pick one brass over the other based on scoring.
I found the same thing with my 6.5x55's. Lapua brass was plainly straighter and more concentric. In fact it was measuably better in all respects; except on the target. My best scores were fired using Remington brass. I don't think the brass actually had anything to do with it. At long range, whether or not I am having a good day judging the wind outweighs all other factors! Regards, Bill

Back