F/R rest weight distrabution.

Tod Soeby

Is there a "best" setup as far as weight distrabution between the front and rear rest? I was just foolin around with my scale and I found the fallowing:

Gun weight- 39 LBS.

Current setup at the first matches I shot at in Pella. With the gun at the front stop, which is as far forward as the rest will allow, which is about 4 1/2 inches back from the front of the front rail and the rear bag 3" from the back of the rear rail...........10.6 lbs is on the rear bag, which leaves 28.4 on the front (aprox 73/27 % front to rear).

Now I could slide the gun back in the front, but recoil will almost certainly send the gun off of the front bag. If I leave the front alone and slide the rear rest forward 3" I end up with 27lbs front and 12 lbs rear for a 69/31 % f/r.

Is this ok....or way off .....or ??????. It looks like there has been lead added to the inside of the rear of the stock. The front rail is 6" wide SS plate with rails.

Anyone done any testing? Is there a widely known formula and I just missed class that day? :eek:

As far as how the gun shoots......the weather at Pella was less than favorable, to say the least, and I won both of my relays with 8.xx groups. I had about 4 inches of vertical on both targets. There was some "driver error" in the shootoffs.:eek: I still have some load development to do. Also, I had MAJOR tracking issues......I was out of the blue after every shot. I think part ot the problem was my trying to stop the recoil with my sholder and then trying to push it forward again with my sholder. This is my first HG, so I need some bench time with it to keep my driver errors to a minimum.

Thanks,
Tod

Last edited:
Weight Distribution

Tod,

Your set up is right on the money. 75/25 for heavy gun is optimal for a chance at tracking well. Then it's up to you to work the gun into the bags properly.

Bob

You need to tighten the nut behind the wheel!!!!:D:D:D

B-man out

Bob, this 75/25 formula, does it usualy work out for light guns as well? I have also been wanting to add more weight to the back end of my rifle as I have probably about 85/15 distribution and it isnt as stable in the rear bag as I would like.

Tod
I put 4 bags of lead shot on my rest system to bring the total weight up to 154 pounds.It has armor piercing bullet cores in the legs because they don't round off on the concrete bench tops like regular points do.
I put the rest system in the bed of my truck and using a 1 inch motorcycle tie down I strap my heavygun on top.The back and forth motion from driving to work each day settles the bagand makes everything very smooth.I use carnuba wax on my bags.
Lynn aka Waterboy

Back