Eye relief, Leupold 45X

Skeet, 'cher backin' off too far man....

Learn to snuddle right up to the thang so's your shoulder catches the gun before it hits you in the eye. I go in to TOUCH and then back off, every time. I try to catch it between 1/2 and 1" back, no more.

Backing off so far the gun comes back 2-3 inches guarantees you'll mess up your bags either from hitting them with the pistol grip or just dropping the butt so far it skews the front fit.

opinionsby

al

Al,

The way I read this, the bags are OK. He is stopping the rifle with his eye before it gets that far! :D

Ken

Skeetlee, I think if recoil is an issue, that you will love the 22ppc. I started out with a 22-250 and after I shot the barrel out of it, went to a 25-06. For putting holes in paper, the 25-06 was just too much. I settled in on a 222 and couldn't be happier. I now also have a 6ppc that is about 25 lbs. so I don't really know what the recoil would be like in a lighter rifle. BTW, I didn't know that I had developed a flinch until I had a misfire in the 25-06, and I suspect that there are a lot of shooters that THINK they don't flinch, but the only way to really know is to have some sort of misfire.

The way I read this, the bags are OK. He is stopping the rifle with his eye before it gets that far!

You got that right!!!! LOL!!! I am putting my 45x on my 17lb dasher as it seems to be the thing to do these days for some reason. I see a lot of the top 600 yard shooters doing it so it must be right???? LOL!!! I love the scope and the extra mag is really nice but i have done pretty good with the 36x stuff so i will just use them for my ppc stuff. I may try one of the optic boosters if i ever come across a good deal on one. I wont buy a new one though. I did run across a big sky 36x for a very fair price so i bought it. I hope it turns out to be a good scope. I was after a 36x Leupold but this sightron was only 350 shipped so i figure that was a safe enough buy. Anyone here using the sightron big sky? I had a new one a while back but i wasnt all that impressed really. Everyone tells me i must have had an average one? We will just have to see. After looking through a leupold i really didnt figure i would buy anything else. I really like the extra field of view the leupold offers. I can see my last flag if i set them up correctly. I also had a weaver 36x that i sold, and i really wish i wouldnt have. It was a dynamite scope with really good glass, but there again i thought i needed a leupold. Oh well, someone got a great scope. I just hope this sightron is good glass! Take care fellas! Lee

Lee,

Most of the times that I got hit by my scope was because I was leaning into the rifle...you need to position yourself when you're at the bench so you are sitting upright not craning toward your scope...don't buy a scope booster or you will be smacked more often...they cut down the eye relief by miles...they are good on a rimfire.

Get yourself a good Weaver and get someone to boost it to 40X and get a smaller dot fitted...the eye relief on a boosted Weaver is twice as much as a standard Weaver...you will never get hit...only downfall is you lose some clarity when you boost the Weavers.

I have both of the Sightron 36x scopes...I am very happy with both of them...I have a 3x scope booster on the one before the Big Sky and the eye relief is about an inch now so it's on a rimfire.

Cheers
Steve

I just read about that. I am working on my bench technique. i will see what i can do. Maybe as simple as lowering my seat. I didnt get to shoot this past weekend but i will get out this weekend. Thanks Lee

1/4" is still free recoil like Al said get closer to it.The first crack on the nose tends to spoil the group.

Lee
If you do not like the amount of eye relief on a 45 Leupold stay away from the 12x42 BR NiteForce you will hate it !

Dick
I didnt need to hear that! LOL!! I am putting My 42x NF on my 30BR. Oh brother!!! Ill make it work, no other choice! Lee

Back