Extraction problems

Neck is too tight

Worker,

In regards to the neck. Take a fired piece of brass. A bullet should go in and out of the neck with no resistance. If it drags at all or it is a very very close fit your necks are too thick. In regards to the body if you had a 1" micrometer you could measure a virgin piece of brass just ahead of the extractor groove and compare that with a fired case and a sized case. If there is a problem with chamber dimensions that is how you diagnose it.

If your chamber is too tight have your smith polish out the chamber. I have reamers that just a tad too tight and do it frequently. It's no big deal if you know what you're doing.

Virgin case .498 Fired case .4995 sized case .499 Case neck absolutely will NOT accept a bullet. All my current guns and every one I've ever had would easily accept a bullet just as you described.

I am curious...your gunsmith told you to full length size you brass...ARE YOU..??...if not that can cause a problem...but, keep in mind you need to check your bump length... use a fired case that has been de-primed (NOT with your die) but with a Lee type rod and pin...then set your Full Length sizer to bump the shoulder back about .002"-.003"...and if you do that your sticky extraction should go away.
Also measure a loaded round at the neck area is it smaller than your chamber dimension by .003" or more..???..if not you could be having a high pressure click at extraction..

Lots of factors can contribute to hard extraction..

Eddie in Texas

Tight neck in my 6x284 . After firing new brass zero extraction problems. Upon 2nd firing with same load major extraction problems. Custom chamber I turn necks . With bullet neck diameter is .2745 after firing neck diameter is .274 ? Now I'm going to neck size in Redding type s bushing neck sizer . Bushing is .273 and trimmed cases to 2.160 .

What did your gunsmith tell your you "tight neck" dimension was.???..is it engraved on the barrel..???..you neck dimension on your chamber must be .276" or larger to be safe with your loaded round of .2745"...

Eddie in Texas

Thanks every one.

I'm going to have a chamber casting done by different gunsmith,and he'll provide the bottom line on what to do. Former gunsmith didn't tell me what the neck dimensions were.

Had a chamber cast done. Neck measures .276 so I'll be turning them to .273. Gunsmith said my chamber looks just fine,but signs of throat wear are plainly visible and says maybe another 1,000 rounds .

Back