Exporting from the U.S. ?

LR Campos
Please read were it says "The ITAR provides for certain exemptions relative to the transfer of firearms and AMMUNITION"!!!!! It further states under section 123.17(a)Minor components -Components and parts for Category I firearms are
exempt from licensing requirements when the total value does not exceed $100 and I have said that.
To further mess Dennis up you can apply for a one time licensing exemption and send a firearm.
It also list why manufacturers are not allowed any of these priviledges and specifically states GIFTS.

V. EXEMPTIONS
A. LICENSING EXEMPTIONS: The ITAR provides for certain exemptions relative to the
transfers of firearms and ammunition. Please read the complete applicable section of the ITAR:
• 123.17(b) Obsolete firearms and models -Non-automatic firearms that were
manufactured on or before 1898, as well as replicas of such firearms, are exempt.
• 123. 17(c) Temporary export of firearms and ammunition for personal use -U.S.
persons may export temporarily not more than three non-automatic firearms and not
more than 1,000 cartridges of ammunition provided this is for the person's exclusive
use and not for re-export or other transfer of ownership (i.e., firearms for use on
hunting trips or sporting events).
• 123.17(a) Minor components -Components and parts for Category I firearms are
exempt from licensing requirements when the total value does not exceed $100
wholesale in any single transaction. Barrels, cylinders, receivers (frames), or
complete breech mechanisms are major components and require a license.
• 123.18 Firearms for personal use for members of the U.S. armed forces and
civilian employees of the U.S. Government -Non-automatic firearms may be
exported for personal use and not for resale or transfer of ownership if the firearms
are accompanied by written authorization from the commanding officer or Chief of
the U.S. Diplomatic Mission.

Waterboy

Last edited:
Lynn, read the post above Jim's...

You now have responses from several people more knowledgeable on export laws than you. These include licensed dealers in Canada and the US, individuals in Canada and the US, and the latest information courtesy of an official spokesperson at the US State Department.

You have been wrong all through this thread.

Are you ready to admit you were mistaken and bow out?

Dennis
You could make an omelette big enough to feed Haiti with all the egg that is now on your face and I normaly wouldn't rub it in until I read on your post were it said from several people more knowledgeable on export laws.If you go back to the start of this thread and start over you will read a post of mine that says you would be suprised at what members of this forum do for a living or were they work.Obviously you missed that post as well.
I have included in my post the actual laws which can be read on the State Departments website not a e-mail from a contractor Lionel Henderson & Company Incorporated.He was probaly to busy playing with his Lionel Train to read the website.

Waterboy
V. EXEMPTIONS
A. LICENSING EXEMPTIONS: The ITAR provides for certain exemptions relative to the
transfers of firearms and ammunition. Please read the complete applicable section of the ITAR:
manufactured on or before 1898, as well as replicas of such firearms, are exempt.
persons may export temporarily not more than three non-automatic firearms and not
more than 1,000 cartridges of ammunition provided this is for the person's exclusive
use and not for re-export or other transfer of ownership (i.e., firearms for use on
exported for personal use and not for resale or transfer of ownership if the firearms
are accompanied by written authorization from the commanding officer or Chief of

Last edited:
May be my english is not soo good as I tought. I read that components and parts OF FIREARMS are exemptions. Not ammunition...

And what the law "means" are not considered by oficials of US Custom, by my experience when buying and receiving gifts from friends in US. Instead, they just read and apply what is written on the law.

By the way, I would love that what you think is what is true and right. It would simplify my life a lot on my shooting products needs and gifts.

Last edited:
LR Campos
It specificaly states Ammunition in the title and in the states we call them reloading Components.Keep in mind that some countries have there own regulations on imports but this is an exporting thread and not an importing thread.
It also doesn't apply to manufacturers or those making money on the transaction.It only applies to individuals and the product must have a value limit.
Over here most Postmasters don't know the actual value of all the components but if you tried sending 100 pounds of brass they wouldn't allow it.Likewise you couldn't take a custom gun and value it at a lower price to skirt the regulations,it has to be fair market value.
Waterboy

V. EXEMPTIONS

Last edited:

Lynn, why don't you take this up with the State Department. YOU can email and get a response almost immediately.

Ammo and its components are in Category III of the US Munitions List which is part 121.1 of the ITAR.

Click on the link to Consolidated ITAR on this page:

http://www.pmddtc.state.gov/regulations_laws/itar_consolidated.html

Stephen M. Geis
DDTC Response Team
Contractor, Lionel Henderson & Co., Inc.

NOTE: Information in this message generally discusses controls and information contained in the Arms Export Control Act and International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), both of which are authoritative on this matter. The Response Team fields basic process and status questions, and assists exporters in identifying how to get answers to more complex questions handled by the Directorate of Defense Trade Control's licensing and compliance offices. The Response Team's services are not a substitute or replacement for the advisory opinion, general correspondence, and commodity jurisdiction processes delineated in the ITAR, which should be used to obtain authoritative guidance on export control issues, and do not in any way relieve exporters from their responsibilities to comply fully with the law and regulations.

Sent: Friday, January 29, 2010 2:49 PM
To: Geis, Stephen M
Subject: Re: LP RE: individuals exporting componemts

Sorry to trouble you again, but now that I have that information, can you provide a direct link to it?

Dennis

----- Original Message -----

To: Sorensen's

Cc: PM-DDTC-Response-Team-DL

Sent: Friday, January 29, 2010 5:34 AM

Subject: LP RE: individuals exporting componemts

Individuals who export ammunition or ammunition components (cases, bullets, primers, and powder) – even as a gift-- must obtain an export license form DDTC.

Lynn, I have had enough of your idiotic posts within this thread.

I am positive you are only doing this only to disrupt the thread. No reasonable person with half a brain would make the statements you have made unless they are deliberately ignoring the facts, and you continue to.

This thread will be left for all to see but I will be deleting any further posts you may add to this thread or any other thread I am author of.

From a reply [that was received in less than 3 hours] directly from Stephen M. Geis, DDTC Response Team - GeisSM@state.gov

My question in black, his response in red.

Sent: Friday, January 29, 2010 3:15 AM
To: PM-DDTC-Response-Team-DL
Subject: individuals exporting componemts

I hope you can actually answer a question rather than push me onto a link. I have searched for quite some time and can not find the information I need.

One simple question...

Can a person residing in the US export cartridge cases or bullets to a friend as a gift without obtaining import/export licenses or paperwork? Can they just simply mail it making a customs declaration on the package? I know businesses require export licenses.

Please respond as soon as possible.

Thank you,

Dennis

**************************************************​

Stephen M. Geis
DDTC Response Team
Contractor, Lionel Henderson & Co., Inc.

Individuals who export ammunition or ammunition components (cases, bullets, primers, and powder) – even as a gift-- must obtain an export license form DDTC.

NOTE: Information in this message generally discusses controls and information contained in the Arms Export Control Act and International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), both of which are authoritative on this matter. The Response Team fields basic process and status questions, and assists exporters in identifying how to get answers to more complex questions handled by the Directorate of Defense Trade Control's licensing and compliance offices. The Response Team's services are not a substitute or replacement for the advisory opinion, general correspondence, and commodity jurisdiction processes delineated in the ITAR, which should be used to obtain authoritative guidance on export control issues, and do not in any way relieve exporters from their responsibilities to comply fully with the law and regulations.

The above information was obtained by the following procedure.

Go to the US State Department website

http://www.pmddtc.state.gov/index.html

On the left top corner click on “Response Team” – that will take you to this link - http://www.pmddtc.state.gov/response_team/index.html

Which states:
DDTC Response Team
Contact Information:
· Phone: (202) 663-1282
· E-mail: DDTCResponseTeam@state.gov

The DDTC Response Team provides responses to the full range of defense trade inquiries, and can significantly facilitate your defense trade solutions while affording licensing and other officers in DDTC more time for casework. By handling telephone calls from industry and the public, it supports the work of licensing and compliance officers by allowing them to focus on their core activities.
You can reach the Response Team by telephone at (202) 663-1282, or by e-mail at DDTCResponseTeam@state.gov. Although telephone numbers for key personnel are provided elsewhere on this web site, please call the Response Team first when you have a question.
The Response Team fields basic process and status questions, and assists exporters in identifying what they need to do to get answers to more complex questions involving issues substantively handled by DDTC's licensing and compliance offices. Every effort will be made to provide substantive responses within 24 hours of receiving inquiries.

****************************************************​

This is where I inquired and received replies... Obviously linked to the US State Department. A “contractor” hired to explain the regulations to those who wish to learn.

If you don't have paranoia; you can phone or email them and receive very quick responses about the latest regulations...

I told everyone I would post what I found out good or bad and I'm a man of my word.
I just talked to the Untied States Department Of State and I asked them this question.

Q)Can I send a hunting buddy of mine in England 50 pieces of inert empty 308 brass through the mail without an export license.I told them I was confused after reading about the exemptions on therer website and the one time exemption for firearms.

A)I was told NO you CANNOT send any reloading components at all through the mail without a license(brass or bullets) and that the exemption I have posted for Firearms Components is for Licensed Exporters only.A licensed exporter in good standing can send rifle components with a value of $100 or less without doing all the paperwork but he/she must still have the license.

I hope this clears up any confusion I may have caused and that Dennis allows it to be posted without deleting it.

I will or Dennis can remove my incorrect interpretation of the rules.
I also would like to apologise to anyone who felt offended by my postings but I can assure you they were only meant to get at the truth.
Sincerely
Lynn Dragoman

Lynn,

Thanks for closing the loop on this one. You're a man of your word.

Greg

I told everyone I would post what I found out good or bad and I'm a man of my word.
I just talked to the Untied States Department Of State and I asked them this question.

Q)Can I send a hunting buddy of mine in England 50 pieces of inert empty 308 brass through the mail without an export license.I told them I was confused after reading about the exemptions on therer website and the one time exemption for firearms.

A)I was told NO you CANNOT send any reloading components at all through the mail without a license(brass or bullets) and that the exemption I have posted for Firearms Components is for Licensed Exporters only.A licensed exporter in good standing can send rifle components with a value of $100 or less without doing all the paperwork but he/she must still have the license.

I hope this clears up any confusion I may have caused and that Dennis allows it to be posted without deleting it.

I will or Dennis can remove my incorrect interpretation of the rules.
I also would like to apologise to anyone who felt offended by my postings but I can assure you they were only meant to get at the truth.
Sincerely
Lynn Dragoman

Thank you Lynn, apology accepted. I am glad this is over.

Dennis ( the hack gunsmith from another country )

Last edited by a moderator:
Back