Exploding gun

Alliant confirms that Reloder 15 is still made in Sweden by Bofors (Norma) and the Made in USA was a printing error that will be corrected on the next run of labels.
At least it's not like the Winchester TR ammunition assembled in Australia for the NRAA using Winchester .308 brass made in the Phillipines (to the best of my knowledge), Sierra 155 grain projectiles & local Mulwex AR 2208 powder (Varget). For years it came in 20 round cardboard boxes branded "Made in USA" - and the boxes were.

Don't you just love it when I bring back an old topic????!!!! Me neither.

Since we last discused the problem, we have cleaned up the chamber so I can seat bullets a little longer. I was origanaly going to shoot an assortment of bullet weights, but have decided to shoot 105+ grain bullets. I can now seat them out there where they don't interfear with powder capasity. Found a load at 32.6 / RL15 @2.44" OAL. We were at 31.3 / 2.37 OAL. All loaded rounds measure .269 at the neck (.2715 chamber) Brass length is all the same 1.54"

I have shot all most 200 rounds of the new load W/O any problems. I was shooting over the chronograph the other night, and grabbed some of the old loads.....third shot.....B A N G. Ok, not really. Nothing felt wrong, but I couldn't see my bullet hole. I just figured I had a double. Tried to open the bolt.....stuck. Pounded it open with a 14" 2x6. Primer blown. Case was almost compleatly seperated at the web, and the brass had flowed into the ejector hole a whole bunch....enough to leave a huge pimple on the brass.

The chrono read a 45 FPS DECREASE , and I went and checked the target and found the bullet hole a foot and a half high and left at 11 o-clock (300 yard target)

Now, I had checked ALL of the loaded rounds before for total weight, OAL, neck clearence......everything. Everything had checked out.

Theory.........secondary explosion. Another shooting buddy of mine(a regular here) brought this up a long time ago. I blew it off because of the age old "reduce 10% to start" pracitce. 10% of 33G (usual max for the dasher/RL15) = 30 G starting point.

We can see no expination for this. I just figured I would shoot off the old loads instead of pulling bullets.....I only had about 30 loaded rounds left. Now I will pull the rest. I shot a couple more into the group after I cleared the gun, but my face was no where near the gun when I pulled the trigger....a practice I think would become detramental to shooting small groups!!:eek:

Any more ideas, or am I beating a dead horse.

Thanks....and sorry for bringing up old krap..
TOD

Tod Soeby

Tod
The newer lots of Lapua 6mmbr brass aren't like the old ones.We used to fireform with our match load but ran across exactly what you are seeing.The occasional piece of exploding brass.
We now back down our fireforming loads and step on them for the second firing.This will give you an occasional loos primer but not a locked up bolt.

The only time you see this is when shooting RE15!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! even if Jerry Tierney set 19 National recors with it this year.Sorry Jerry I couldn't help myself as 19 is huge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lynn

Tod
You didn't say what caliber you were loading but you should try another FL sizing die. Sounds like you are not getting enough sizing down into the web section. You say your loads are the same and you are pushing shoulder back
.002. Try another sizing die, probably solve your problem.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

My new loads, although with used brass, is with a new custom FL bushing die made by Jerry Simonson. Come to think of it, I have had ZERO problems since getting and using this die(Dasher)!! About the time I got this die I got all of my new measuring equipment, and really started to pay attention to proper head space and stuff.

DO YA THINK??? God....that would be too simple....just switch dies. Hold on a second, I am going to measure some old (exploding) rounds and compare it to "good" brass.

I compared headspace: fired brass (good brass) out of my new die measures 1.2475. That is just fired and out of my chamber. Unfired (exploding) rounds measure 1.2455. These are used brass, but FL sized with my old die and loaded, ready to fire (or in this case ready to be UN-loaded).

Measuring just above the web is as follows : Problem brass .4710. Good brass, .4720.

I don't see any problem there, but I have had no problems with my new load/die/chamber, so maby I will put this one to sleep.

Thanks,
Tod

Tod;

A fellow Dasher shooter ran into a similar problem this past summer and he found that he missed removing corncob media from the flash holes after tumbling his cases. Blown primers, locked bolt, and eratic velocities.

Just a simple oversite.

Richard Schatz

Tod;

A fellow Dasher shooter ran into a similar problem this past summer and he found that he missed removing corncob media from the flash holes after tumbling his cases. Blown primers, locked bolt, and eratic velocities.

Just a simple oversite.

Richard Schatz
These had never seen a tumbler or media. I do tumble a lot of brass....just did 400 7mm mag this weekend. About 1 out of 10 has media stuck in the flash holes. i have a needle sitting next to my tumbler for that exact purpose!

Not to hijack...but..

Guys

A few Dasher shooters here on this thread, I am curious as to what freebore you guys are shooting? 0.125"?

Cheers
AI

Back