Excess Vertical?

R

RBD

Is it true that excess vertical can sometimes be cured with a hotter charge?

Best,

RBD

It's a load development issue.

The chrony has chosen not to work, and I hate loose primer pockets.

I tested eight different loads, .2 of a grain apart.

My last, and hottest load, showed severe vertical, but no pressure signs.

I'm inclined to try a few more loads, perhaps as much as a grain hotter.

I believe I have heard or read that vertical stringing can be cured by hotter loads.

But I wanted to confirm this.

RBD

I just found out a few minutes ago after closely examining my scope (and after suffering two weeks of some very frustrating groups that were fired with very careful handloads), that vertical can also be avoided by making sure the scope isn't recoiling and sliding in it's rings.:rolleyes:

I found out last Sunday after a score match that it can be caused by forgetting to tighten down the action screws after putting it back into the stock!!!!

I appreciate your effort, Joe-

But I am only--as the question suggested--concerned with charge.

I did shoot one five shot, two inch group at 600 yards, which we all know isn't bad, but is not guaranteed to win.

If I had a chronograph, I'd know whether it's worth trying a hotter charge. If the bullet is moving right along with the charge I have, I'd be happy to goof with other issues.

As it stands, I'm running out of time and bullets, so I may just go with the load that did well.

As an aside, is there a ballistics program that, given my bullet, chambering, and powder, will tell me the velocity?

Thank you, gentlemen.

RBD

Doesn't take long to burn up $200 on bullets, powder, primers, etc, which is the price of a chronograph. The frustration of not knowing velocity would drive me crazy. Can be a pain to drag it all out and set it up but worth it.
Can Quick Load program give you the info you need?

I couldn't agree more on the chronograph issue, mike.

Mine wasn't working, I sent it back to the factory, and they said it worked just fine. Returned it to me, and, once again, no reading.

Which was why I went to the range with a friend, with the intent of using his chrony.

Which chose that day to malfunction.

Anyway, I looked at my best target again, the 1.94x" five shot group. Four of the five shots are within an inch.

I'll use that load, even though I suspect I could find something a little hotter.

Not a compromise I'm happy to make, but perhaps best under the circumstances.

RBD

Bruce
As you increase your powder charge your shots will continue to climb up the target until youi reach a sweetspot were they will cluster.If you have vertical your either not at a sweetspot or your seating depth is not perfect.
If your not into pressure keep going until they either cluster or you get too much pressure.
Lynn aka Waterboy

Bruce
A ladder test is an easy quick way to find your powder weight.You load up 10-12 rounds at 1% increments in the powder charge.If your case likes something in the 40 grain load range your loads would be every 0.4 grains.
It would look something like this.
42.0 42.4 42.8 43.2 43.6 44.0 44.4 44.8 45.2 Your 10-12 rounds would then be shot while aiming at the same point with no adjustments made at all.The results depending on the distance will show you a steady progression up the paper with one or two clusters of shots.You then do a little bit of ciphering/figuring and determine the center powder charge for your cluster.

We'll call it 43.8 grains.From there you would adjust your seating depth for best agg'ing and call it good enough for some longrange testing.

Remember the 600 Yard Nationals is coming up quickly!!!
Lynn aka Waterboy

Last edited:
Tom
If your shooting a 6BR or 6Dasher the farther you can shoot the better.At 100-200 in a good shooting gun you end up with 12 shots touching each other.400-500 is a good distance because if you put a target up backwards you can see all your bullet holes.
Lynn aka Waterboy

i must like to shoot too much, i always just try stuff untill something works, and then backs it up a few times. i'll have to try that sharpie deal jason, i have read your article before and have'nt got around to trying it. it sure would save paper/space/time. what color shows up on blue the best? you know, just in case i get in the rotation next to capehart, hahaha.
tom

i just reread that article, looks like you used 12-15 rounds down your tube to find the charge"zone". i have never shot a match with a barrel fresher than 100 rounds, and sometimes still end up, i feel on the "edge" of the "zone". nice read,
tom

Last edited:
Back