Etcho-O-Matic

Jonathan,
You might want to get a hold of Gene Beggs. I know when I was up there a few weeks ago engraving a barrel, he said he had "one of those etch things" and wound up throwing it away. I don't know if this is the same brand/type like he had. Talking to him would clear that up. I do know he ended up buying an engraving machine and the engraving it did on my barrel looks good.
Best,
Dan Batko

"Where are we going and why am I in this basket?"

P. S. You going to make the Bluebonnet?

Jonathan,
I think Gene will be there tomorrow, so you can get the info straight from him.
Best,
Dan Batko

"Where are we going and why am I in this basket?"

The etching method of marking is pretty easy to use and very versatile. I make stencils on the computer. I print the desired text, design, logo, etc, on a transparency and use a simple light box with photo sensitive stencil material to make an actual stencil. Anything you can create on a computer and print out can be made into a stencil. The deep etching materials sold by Marking Methods are what I use.
http://www.markingmethods.com/pdf/mark300_flyer.pdf I just use the chemicals and stencil materials and provide my own power supply and other items since I had them on hand. It's a little fiddley to get started unless you buy the complete kit, but once you get up and running, it makes factory looking marks.

RWO

I have been using a Marking Methods 300 for about 15 or 16 years. Like RWS stated you can do alot more with these systems than you can with a New Hermes. And they are fast and easy. I can mark my logo on one side of the barrel and the caliber on the other in about 2 minutes or less. Very clean marks. I posted some pics of it a couple of months back.

I am not knocking a New Hermes, I used to have one. Great tool. I just wanted something that would allow me to do graphics and many different fonts.
Boe

Nothing wrong with the Etch-O-Matic. Get the stencil making kit with it so you can make your own stencils in 2 minutes. Call your favorite bbl maker and get them to send you a piece of the type of bbl material you'll be working with so you can practice on it. It's super easy to use, just make sure you get the gator clip to enhance the voltage and marking depth. It works as good as machines 4 times its cost, I had to learn that the hard way. Most often in life you get what you pay for, this is not one of those cases. you get a great value in the Etch-O-Matic and the CS is top notch as well.

These magazines which are a very hard 410 stainless were all etched with an Etch-O-Matic. I gave mine away because I thought I needed a $1k unit. I wish I had it back now!!!
DSC00362Large.jpg

DSC00449Large.jpg

DSC00545Large.jpg

DSC00568Large.jpg

This is a crappy cell phone photo of a 416 pistol bbl I etched with the etch-o-matic with a stencil I made using their kit. This etch took 45 seconds. I tried to polish out the "blackening" that the eom makes so you could see the depth. It made the bbl shiny enough that it was hard to get a good pic with the SLR so I used the cell phone. Still couldn't polish ALL the black out because of the depth of the etch. I'm sure it would blast the black off or you could use the eom and not allow it to make the blackening portion of the mark.
IMG_20110506_122208.jpg

This is a crappy cell phone photo of a 416 pistol bbl I etched with the etch-o-matic with a stencil I made using their kit. This etch took 45 seconds. I tried to polish out the "blackening" that the eom makes so you could see the depth. It made the bbl shiny enough that it was hard to get a good pic with the SLR so I used the cell phone. Still couldn't polish ALL the black out because of the depth of the etch. I'm sure it would blast the black off or you could use the eom and not allow it to make the blackening portion of the mark.
IMG_20110506_122208.jpg

Holey Kronk..... I had no idea'r the acid went that deep!

cool

al

Superman,
I think it would look fine on barrel after bluing. Would you recommend the "starter" or the "super" kit?
Regards, Ron

Ron, I had the 560 Super kit. It's nice to be able to make your own labels.

Back