etch o matic

Blued surfaces

How does the etch-o-matic work on blued surfaces or surfaces blued afterward? I've look at these units several times, but not bought one yet.

Regards,
Ron

Also Al:

Also Al,
Are you using the larger etcher with the separate transformer for the deep etch?

You're a bad man - if you keep posting pictures of your markings, you'll force me to buy an etch-o-magic!

Regards,
Ron

Also Al,
Are you using the larger etcher with the separate transformer for the deep etch?

You're a bad man - if you keep posting pictures of your markings, you'll force me to buy an etch-o-magic!

Regards,
Ron

I bought the biggest combo kit called the 1000 and yes, it has a transformer in the line going to the etching unit.

Etching depth? 0>003" or deeper?

Saw some of the etched surfaces, and noted that in some of the comments items such as manufacturer, caliber, etc. were being marked. Was wondering if the etching was getting to or beyond the depth required by ATF when marking firearms? Believe it is .003" minimum?

Thanks!

My impression is the cheaper etcher only does the AC black etching, while the more expensive one with the transformer will do AC black and DC deep etching. Is this correct?
Regards,
Ron

Curious about etching

Just a question to satisfy my curiosity about etching. What is the main reason for investing in the equipment and learning the process when things like barrels will be in the recycling bin in a relatively short time. The riflesmith just stamps the calibre and neck diameter on mine which is fine.
Andy.

My impression is the cheaper etcher only does the AC black etching, while the more expensive one with the transformer will do AC black and DC deep etching. Is this correct?
Regards,
Ron

I don't know about the cheap one but the 1000 has both AC and DC and yes the DC is the one that goes deep.

Just a question to satisfy my curiosity about etching. What is the main reason for investing in the equipment and learning the process when things like barrels will be in the recycling bin in a relatively short time. The riflesmith just stamps the calibre and neck diameter on mine which is fine.
Andy.

People I trust have shown that the stamping transfers clear through to the chamber/bore.

Umm

People I trust have shown that the stamping transfers clear through to the chamber/bore.

Umm I have never heard of that one before. If that's the case then it is probably best that all rifle smiths read this post and refrain from doing that from now on. Might explain why so many shooters complain about barrels that don't shoot.
Andy.

my etcher came yesterday in the mail, woo hoo. now I need some stencil. If I thought I could do the computer side of the stencil making I would just order the Etch O Matic stencil maker. I have zero idea were to even start though. I would gladly pay someone to make them for me. For now anyway. Lee

Back