etch o matic

skeetlee

Fellas
about this time last year I posted about an etch o matic, and there was a fella here that offered me an etch o matic kit for sale. I lost the contact info. If your that fella please send me a pm. thanks Lee

Anyone use the etch o magic stencil makers? How are they to use?

Lee,

I've been down the same road. For years I frustrated myself with various methods of marking barrels including the electronic etching method. I was not satisfied with the system. My results were hit and miss.

Etching metal parts is great if you're willing to put out some big bucks to buy industrial grade equipment. I finally tossed my el cheapo kit in the dumpster and bought a New Hermes Engravograph which I should have done in the first place. I am very happy with the results. They are readily available at reasonable prices if you do a little searching. Butch Lambert is a good source of information on used equipment.

Gene Beggs

Skeetlee,
If you are going to use a etching system get one of the Marking Methods units. I have used one in my shop for about 20 years now. Top drawer systems. The Etch-o- Matic stencil making kit works great, I would not recommend the marking system. I use one of the stencil making kits to make caliber, barrel manf., neck dia. marks. I used to use a New Hermes years ago but move away from it. The etching system is a lot faster and allows you mark barrels with your logo and any font that you want just by making a new stencil. Set up is quick and easy, Tape the stencils to the barrel and mark it. It only takes about 10 seconds per stencil to mark a barrel. Boe

Last edited:
There you go!

Lee,

Boe is no doubt more patient and skilled than I am and uses the modern method of computer created stencils. I was using the old type-it-on-a-manual-typewriter method. We all have our likes and dislikes. Beautiful work can be done using either method if you know what you're doing and have the right equipment.

Boe, thanks for sharing your experience with the etching method. Maybe I didn't give it a fair chance.

Later,

Gene Beggs

I use one..... I thought you were looking to buy a used one.

I'm completely satisfied, nay happy happy happy, with my Etch-o-Matic setup and will never upgrade except to use a CNC mill setup. I've used every method I can think of and find the Etch-o-matic to be the best compromise for home use.

So yes, opinions do vary :)

And the single biggest thing, the single make-or-break feature is the Etchomatic stencil making system. If, like Gene Beggs, I was stuck trying to use the (stupid!) manual typewriter method I'd throw the whole system into the dumpster. The stencil maker is essential.

I did one a while back and the guy brought it by last weekend after picking it up from Cerakote..... the Cerakote guy didn't mask it of!!! He just painted right over the lettering. You can still read it, it's still legally legible but IT IS NOT designed to be painted over!

But then neither is Hermes lettering, which basically disappears under Cerakote.

al

tried to add a pic, ain't taking them today I guess

Last edited:
etch-o-matic

Al,
A picture sure would be nice. I been on the fence about buying one for a while now.

Thanks

I've used a typewriter with the blue wax type paper they sell, and it does just fine, if you know how to make it work. The thing you are restricted to, is the font size of the typewriter. Getting an old typewriter is easy now days.

I tried using a dot matrix printer, and that didn't do well.

Skeet,
I have used the etchomatic for years for various metal marking jobs and have found if I use a barrel stub for practice I can get good results with it. The best tip in my opinion and experience is to use a Qtip for the marking, it is easier to control for smaller lettering jobs. The stencil maker kit is a must have but I have yet to master the devolping of the film, sometimes my stencils come out great sometimes they don't.

I also have a cnc mill with a diamond drag bit and a spinning cuter I use for some items but I usually use Etch O matic. I will admit I just plain suck at stamping so I gave up on that, even know I am a journeyman hammer user haha.

If you are interested I can email you some photos of finished jobs and such. Maybe ill make a video showing how I use the Qtip method.

James

Skeet,
I have used the etchomatic for years for various metal marking jobs and have found if I use a barrel stub for practice I can get good results with it. The best tip in my opinion and experience is to use a Qtip for the marking, it is easier to control for smaller lettering jobs. The stencil maker kit is a must have but I have yet to master the devolping of the film, sometimes my stencils come out great sometimes they don't.

I also have a cnc mill with a diamond drag bit and a spinning cuter I use for some items but I usually use Etch O matic. I will admit I just plain suck at stamping so I gave up on that, even know I am a journeyman hammer user haha.

If you are interested I can email you some photos of finished jobs and such. Maybe ill make a video showing how I use the Qtip method.

James

If you could just snap a pic of the electrode going to the Qtip I'd be happy happy happy

the kit I ended up buying off ebay comes with the stencil film but not the maker. I thought I might just have someone make me some stencil to get me started. I also intend of printing a logo onto my barrels. This etch o matic looks to me to be the best instrument for the money. At least for me.
I also would love to see the q-tip method. thanks to all, as always! Lee

Also this kit I bought, comes with different types of electrolytes. One is for use with stainless steel, another for brass/copper, and then there is the general use electrolyte. does it really make much difference on what type of electrolyte I use for barrel stainless?

here is a link to the kit I bought. I offered the seller 60$ and they excepted it, so its on the way. I do need stencils made though. I would be more than willing to pay someone for them if anyone is interested. If I cant find someone here to make me some, ill see if the etch o matic company will make them. In the mean time ill look into getting the stencil maker. im just not sure I would no how to use the dam thing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321312240983?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Last edited:
First, off I have to say Boe your pics show some very nice etch work.

As far as using a Qtip I cut one in half and hold it like a pencil. I use a piece of copper wire and wrap around the qtip and the transformer. Soak the qtip and now you can concentrate your etching to smaller areas. It burns up quickly so when you cut one in half you have 2 qtips to use. Try it once and I think youll find it gives good results. My biggest problem is getting my stencils developed correctly so they burn and etch better. If anyone has any tips to get results like Boe gets that would be great.

Im sorry if I didn't explain it that great ill see if I can get some pics to look at.

I have done a knife for my buddy with his company logo which turned out great.

Many uses and I have seen some great results using b the etchomatic.

James

Boe could you post pics of your stencils please. Do you make your own stencils using the etchomatic stencil making kit?

Here's what I do...

DSCN6696 small.jpg

DSCN6701 small.jpg

Hopefully these snaps will show both the contrast and the depth of marks....

I'll see if they attach

al

pics

Here a few quick photos I snapped, I did one of my Harrells dies in 30BR... The wire wrapped soaked Qtip I hold in my hand like a pencil and just rub the stencil area. It seems to work better than me using the stamp pad, I don't get as much run over. I can concentrate the etching to smaller area for like dies or barrels. Just an idea, cost nothing to try.
IMG_20140206_155908_962 (500x375).jpg
IMG_20140206_160010_648 (500x375).jpg
IMG_20140206_160048_200 (500x375).jpg

Last edited:
skeet,
Etch-o-matic will make stencils for clients so will Marking Methods. Just keep in mind as barrel tapers changes so does the logo and font size. A least for me, I like to keep everything in portion. I made about 8 or 9 different logo sizes and adjust the font to barrel taper as needed. I think by the time you pay them to make all the stencils you might use it might be more cost effective to make the investment in the stencil kit. It has been well worth it for me to be able to make anything I need at the last minute.

James,
Thanks for the compliment. I will try to take some pictures of the stencils I use and post them as soon as I can. Yes, I do make my stencils with a etch-o-matic stencil kit. Boe

etch-o-matic

Al, I think those marks look great. Do your markings turn out that good evey time or is it hit and miss?

Thanks

Back