eley slow ammo in the winter

Hi Tim,

I've only chrono'ed rimfire ammo in warm weather. The most accurate ammo I've shot is the original Fed UM1 that was/is much faster than other match ammo by 80 fps or so. In hot weather it would crack and as temps dropped it would go sub-sonic and quiet down. This is in spite of the fact that the speed of sound drops with temp. So the ammo lost speed with falling temps more rapidly than the speed of sound fell with the same falling temps. Interestingly it would also show less than half the vertical at very long distance after it went sub-sonic.

It has warmed up quite a bit here in the mountains- it was 18 F this morning but it is 15 now and falling. I'll try to get the Chrony out in the morning and see what it has to say.

Greg

thanks mr nobody and greg

mr nobody sir i would certainly like to hear of your results .i have wrote eley but they wont answer me back on the subject .and greg sir i do apreciate the chrono results too and you have been missed at the nationals.i waundered if you were still shooting 1000yd stuff.havent seen rich or bill either,man what happended did all you guys go rimfire? thanks again guys . tim in tx

Good evening. First, let me say I am new to this forum, and I am enjoying all aspects of it, I am really learning a lot. I haven't as yet sat down, in bench rest competition, but, it seems the solution to this problem of rimfire ammo speed in temperature extremes is rather easily solved. If an ammo produced in warmer months, (or colder) and advertised to shoot in at a specific speed isn't performing up to spec, it's a simple matter of using a faster or slower twist barrel.... Sometimes you guys make things a lot harder than they have to be. But then again I am new to the sport. Charles

Mr. Nobody, Sorry, I actually thought I might be being funny, and at the same time, lessen what I perceived to be a slight argumentative tension that was building. Warmly Charles

looks like some editing was going on overnight.
thank goodness.

super tuner`s foot in mouth --again!

my mother, God bless her alway said. "God looks out for drunks and fools". more oftent than not they are one and the same.

MR Supermoderator I would have deleted this one also,It was not aimed or tuned correctly either !! as was the next one! or maybe someone delete that posted it.

my mother, God bless her alway said. "God looks out for drunks and fools". more oftent than not they are one and the same.

What she should have said is, "Better to be thought a fool than open one's mouth and remove all doubt!"

What she should have said is, "Better to be thought a fool than open one's mouth and remove all doubt!"

I had a boss who said, "If you drink at lunch drink gin not vodka. That way people will understand you're drunk, not merely stupid."

Last edited by a moderator:
Tim,

Bill is just about retired from shooting the match scene having proved just about everything you can (he still attends some) and is spending a lot of time with his grand kids. He still enjoys his position as the "Godfather of 1K". Rich is pushing the envelope with ultra high velocity inline smokeless muzzle loaders (men will race anything). I haven't traveled at all for a couple of years. I missed my first NC 1000 matches since I started 10 years ago and only shot three of the 600 yd matches at Piedmont. But I did get to Butner for the NC F-Class champ, the F-Class Nationals and shot (with, but not for) the Palma team tryouts. Came out of that really jazzed having been coached by the best of the best! A big regret was not making Pierre and missing all the great performances from the usual NC suspects. Maybe I'll get to the Nats next year. Looking forward to our next visit.

Best regards,

Greg

Last edited by a moderator:
mr nobody sir i would certainly like to hear of your results .i have wrote eley but they wont answer me back on the subject .and greg sir i do apreciate the chrono results too and you have been missed at the nationals.i waundered if you were still shooting 1000yd stuff.havent seen rich or bill either,man what happended did all you guys go rimfire? thanks again guys . tim in tx

Tim, I think you will not ever get ELEY to answer because it's as much a bore dimension, rifling type, ignition, lube, variable as anything else. We used to shoot some outdoor stuff in dead winter after our CF winter league matches and I never shot any Lapua or ELEY that did'nt print an inch lower than summer settings. I'd guess lube that stops effective performance at well below 50deg is as much an issue as powder which is Vituvoori.

greg sir and tim

greg i hope it works out for you to make the nats ,always enjoyed the company .and tim you make a very good point ,that makes a lot of sense.as a centerfire benchrest shooter i am anal about tune [only because i have to be ]and i was curious if you rimfire guys saw your rifles go out of tune from morning temps to the afternoon temps before the tuners came along as as happens in centerfiire from powder alone,but i can see where the lube varibles could mask the actual powder sensitivity.thanks for the help sirs. tim in tx

In the Shop

I'm going to try some slow speed in the Shop this weekend. I know how it shoots in the hotter months, so I want to get a comparison. It's hard to get low speed Eley, anytime, not just in the winter.

Back