eley slow ammo in the winter

M

martin hammond

eley can manage to make or chronigraph 1045 in the winter but unable to do so in the summer. all the low speed ammo gets bought up untested. will it chronograph the same in the summer? doubt it, but once bought it will have to be shot. slow ammo bought now and tested more than likely would not be marked the same in july. when eley makes slow ammo in the winter time and unable to do so in the summer months there is a reasonable explanation. once however all that slow ammo is bought it will be shot and most will be shot in warm weather. soooooo if you really want slower ammo buy ammo mfg. in july with a speed of 1061 it's probably close to the 1047 bought in winter.

Kent, just know this from working printing all my life. from november on we could not pump enough moisture into the plant. we had installed humidifyers overhead from one end to the other. the machines did not run as well and production was off in the winter compared to summer. anyone who has been around machines knows static problems and that creates a friction problem. how many times have I or anyone else heard that ammo was bought in cold but did not shoot once it got 90 degrees? more often than not.

Howdy!
Does Eley not produce an ammo for colder temps?

Would they not change the lube for winter ammo?

If they change the lube, would their engineers try to adjust the load to help get the best accuracy?

Greg

I have not seen any biathlon advertised, not sure that when they did mfg. that it was for bench rest. just seemed odd that eley can have slower speed ammo available in quantities now thru april but unavailable in warm weather. I don't think they change anything, I think what is tested and put on the box is just a snapshot as to what happens at that time and for that time only.

ammo for coldertemps

Greg,

I crono'ed some Eley Biathalon ammo in summer temps and was very surprised that it measured about 1340 fps (40 gr bullet). I don't know if it is loaded like that to accommodate velocity reduction at the very low temps that Biathalon comps are shot in or if it is to reduce barrel time to minimize shot displacement from the pounding hearts of the competitors.

Anybody know?

Greg

Last edited by a moderator:
Match OSP Purple box

Olympic sport pistol (OSP) has a cold weather lube for winter shooting! Silicone base lube . Shoots pretty good in some of the slower twist such as the 17.5 Benchmarks. I think it may be the old round nose bullet prior to 2006

Olympic sport pistol (OSP) has a cold weather lube for winter shooting! Silicone base lube .

Willy,

I don't know what OSP is lubed with but I hope it isn't silicon based. When silicon is burned you get silicon dioxide or silica, commonly recognized as sand or glass. Not too good for bore life.

Greg

I'm not talking about ammo to shoot in the cold. I'm suspicious that eley can manufacture slower speeds in the winter but in the summer their slowest speeds are usually 1062 and upwards. look in this batch is their any in the 1080 range? you can keep an eye on the new stuff by going to killoughs site. I think eley makes match ammo the same all year long and depending on independent testing in warm weather the lower speeds would not test that way.

Ely Ammo

How could Ely know what weather condition the ammo would be shot in??
Shoot different lots and find out ? I do know I have a lot of ELY Black Box
that shoots well above 55 degrees and forget it below 40.(1060 speed)

Martin

Your last post is incorrect about slow speed ammo. Summer, Fall, Winter and Spring if you are looking for slower ammo, Bob Collins would be the one to contact. He usually gets the slower ammo in his stock (1060 and below) when the new shipments arrive. Have a Gday!

Fiddler, I am not looking for ammo. I receive inventories from 4 sources. of those 4 inventories it looks like 30 lots of ammo were received in this shipment from eley. of those 30 lots 9 of them were 1064 and under. quite a few shooters late last year were complaining that so much of the ammo coming in was faster ammo. it just seemed odd that 30% was slower now and later in the year it's hard to get. what I would like to know if anyone has chronographed this latest slow ammo to cooberate what eley says?

mr cullpepper sir

by chance do you have an idea of the velocity change with temp ratio for rimfire ammo?is it relative to centerfire powders?thanks tim in tx

i have some 1046 coming in this week. i will put it through a chrony. i have found the speed on the box doesn't match the speed out of my rifle. it is normally faster!!!!

i'll test some in these her cold kentucky winter days and report back this summer to tell you what i have found.

i know from my centerfire shooting some powder is tempature sencative. i'm hoping eley uses powder that isn't.

monthes from now i will tell you what i found(then the fighting caqn start).

does brc really stand for b it ch, red a ss and cry or what?

i'm testin black strap mollasses on 1087 fps..that should slow er down:D

monthes from now i will tell you what i found(then the fighting caqn start).

does brc really stand for b it ch, red a ss and cry or what?

Please report back to us what you find out. We will believe you.

BRC does stand for Bench Rest Central. It was established and is owned by Wilbur Harris. It is a place in cyber-space where those who pursue the ultimate in firearm accuracy can gather and discuss ideas.

Concho Bill

my mother, God bless her alway said. "God looks out for drunks and fools". more oftent than not they are one and the same.

well martin i can tell you this. when i went for my job they had 14 spots to fill. there was 378 people show up for it. i scored in the top 1%. i guess i fall into the drunk part. at least i am honest about it. god looks out for drunks and fools. i'm a drunk. were does that leave you????

Back