ejector slots

iltghh

A few day ago I ask about the best way to cut ejector slots but I have another question. when cutting the slots should i put a fitted blank in the reamed chamber so when cutting the slots it doesn't effect the chamber by collapse the newly reamed chamber?

When you cut, set up the woodruff cutter so that the teeth are cutting outwards away from the chamber. This will require resetting the barrel
for the opposing cut if you need two slots.

not a problem

I've cut a few dozen barrels and have never had a problem cutting them in one setup. 1 1/2" sharp fine toothed slotter, slow feed and lots of oil. I cut from the breech end along the bore.

Dennis

How are you guys going about getting the proper location/timing? I had a problem with clearance when I torque the barrel. The mistake I made was not torquing the barrel to index TDC of barrel. Other than that, was simple machining with a .125 x 1.5" slitting saw and indexer. Rotated 18° each direction for the stiller. My thinking was that if I snap tight barrel, mark location, machine slots that the .125 wide grooves would tolerate some error in degree location. Well...not the case. I reworked top of one slot and the bottom of the other because the ever so slight location change when torqued. What is a good torque range on these rimfire. My LR barrels, I snap t handle with my calibrated torque arms. Tight enough not to come loose, but not gorilla tight to get off.

Thanks for the info. Good thing it's just a $65 GM barrel. The next is a Shilen that will hopefully be the shooter. Never know, the GM may be a hummer in disguise ? ?

Back