Ed Shilen has left the range

Butch Lambert

Mikel Shilen called a little while ago and told me that Ed has passed away. No services will be held. Ed was a great friend and very helpful to me. He was one of the true Icons of our sport.
Keep the family in your prayers.

Very sad news. I never had the pleasure of meeting Ed but we've been shooting his barrels since the early 80's. Prayers sent for family and friends. And as Precision Shooting used to say, "we are diminished".

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

There goes another chunk of Benchrest History. Ed Shilen touched the lives of many Gun Enthusiasts. I,ve still got some questions i wanted to ask. His Biography should be posted on the "Benchrest History" thread.

Condolences to the Family.

Dorothy and I were always blessed when Ed would show up and shoot with us. There is no way we could ever repay him for his knowledge he so freely gave. RIP Mr Ed.

I never had the pleasure of meeting Ed Shilen, but I certainly enjoy shooting one of his fine DGV barreled actions, and always enjoy the Shilen Swap Meet each year.

RIP Mr. Shilen.

Dennis

I had a Shilen action and called him about a problem that I thought I was having with it only to find out the action had never been payed for, told him that in order to keep things straight, I would pay him for it. He said no and what could he do for me. Great Man.

Ed was always willing to help. One year I bought 4Shilen barrels. He said did I want to try a tapered bore since the rimfire shooters at the time were shooting tapered bores. So he lapped me one with 0.0005" Taper and one with 0.001" taper. All 4 shot great but I never could tell the difference.

RIP Mr. Ed....

Ed was one of my mentors and was his barrels that garnered all but one point into the Benchrest Hall of Fame. I have owned Shilen almost every type of action he ever made from the early Ross Sherman/Shilen's, to the SS&D (Shooters Service and Dewey), to the 2" round unlimited actions of which only 10 were made ( He purchased #7 & #10 back from me) and had them in his office for a while, to the round big bolt Shilens and DGA & DGA-S.
Ed was always in your corner always wanting to see you succeed.
He was one of our sports great gentlemen, innovators and promoters of accuracy to the end.
Thank you Ed for building me the barrels that allowed me to complete a dream and life's work.
Your family and friends are in my prayers God bless them all!

Speedy Gonzalez

Below are some pics of one of my old round Shilen's and one pic from the original blueprints for this action. The entire set of prints is available on my Facebook page link below in case any one wishes to reproduce Ed's work of art.

https://www.facebook.com/thomas.gon...0202856730161846.1073741863.1309538568&type=3

Attachments

• sa1.jpg
    sa1.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 456
  • es.jpg
    es.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 464
  • sa2.jpg
    sa2.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 530
  • sa2f.jpg
    sa2f.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 447
Last edited:
Very sorry to hear that news. Ed had a good life. He loved to make action, barrels, triggers, etc., enjoyed playing with RF rifles and loved to fly his airplanes.
He was truely one of "the-good-old-Guys" He wiil be missed .
Rest in Peace.
PS: It seems like we are saying Good bye to a lot more of the older shooters than we are saying Hello to young ones to replace the ones we are loosing.
Ron & Jo Ann

Years ago, back in the 1970's, I read a Publication that had a feature article on the new tends in Benchrest. The main discussion centered around those new fangled short barrel rifles in those non wooden stocks.

They had a picture of a shooter, sitting at the bench with one of these new rifles. That shooter was Ed Shilen.

That article made a big impression on me, I even got to ask Ed about it when he was at one of the first Shilen Swap Meets a number of years ago. He remembered it.

Rest in Peace.

Never met Ed...

Never met Ed, but have used his barrels and found them equal to any. The whole Benchrest shooting world will miss him. He was a man that one would wish to live forever.

Virg

Met Ed at my first Super Shoot. He was cookin' hamburgers and said he had an extra if I wanted one. Treated me like his brother....

There will never be another like Ed. Rest in Peace my friend.

Yes, we are diminished.
When I first started in benchrest around 1975, I ordered a complete DGA LV rifle in .222 from Ed Shilen. The Australian Shilen distributor was right here in my home town of Adelaide, and the Manger (Ray Stone) was a personal friend of mine.
A few years later I shot a World record group and agg at 300 yards using Shilen components. Ray was on a trip to the USA, met up with Ed and just happened to mention that record. Ed immediately organised for me to receive a barrel of my choice for free. Money was tight in those days and this gesture was hugely appreciated.
I never met Ed, but would have liked to, and I never heard a bad word said about him.
My condolences to the family.

Brendan Atkinson

I owe Ed Shilen a lot. If he didn't hire me my life sure would have turned out differently. I wrote a letter to Ed around the time I graduated from gunsmithing school in mid 1972. He told me to come down to Texas to have an interview and I did so. His wife Emily came and picked me up at the Greyhound station. On the day of the interview he asked me if I could start work that afternoon and asked me to stay at his home until I found an apartment and a car. I was really surprised. I was a total stranger, and a foreigner too. I saw then that he was not an ordinary person. He took me to a car dealer and helped me find a car and helped me financially also.

I worked under Allan Hall back then, he was in charge of all custom work. Ed said to me “you need a bench rest rifle, here is action S#016, a barrel blank, and a stock (laminated wood), you build it yourself. If you have any questions ask me, Allan or Doug.” I chose .222 ½ as my caliber. Also a .22 Sherman bullet die set was at the shop so I started to learn how to make bullets. I learned that what I learned in school and what custom rifle manufacturers were doing was very different. I ended up learning everything over from the basics.

My first benchrest match was the first Super Shoot at Tulsa in 1973. I met Warren Page and got an autograph on his latest BR book. At the first Super Shoot I was very lucky I didn’t shoot outside the target. Many shot outside the target, and of course they were disqualified back then. Ed asked me “are you afraid of flying?” “No.” “I mean a very small airplane,” so I said “I was a paratrooper, so...” “Good, you fly with me then.” Ed used to own a Cessna 195 and later switched to a Skymaster (dual prop, push and pull). Ed, Doug (Ed's son) and I went to an Arizona shoot with the Cessna 195 one time. We stopped in El Paso when nature called. It was very exciting because it was a windy day, small airplanes and wind are an exciting combination. It's nice to go to a shooting match with a private airplane. We flew to San Angelo and other Tulsa matches also.

This all happened a long time ago but then again I feel like it just happened yesterday. I saw Ed a few months ago and we talked awhile. I learned a lot from Shilen Rifle. Thanks to Ed and all.

I worked at Shilen from 1972 to 1980.

Turk Takano

Last edited by a moderator:
Great Story and thanks for sharing Turk. I dont know hardly anyone yet in the benchrest community but after reading your post I'm sure Ed Shilen Left that impression on everyone whos lives he came in contact with. God bless him and his family.

Had the pleasure to work for Ed from 1983 to 1990 and he freely passed his great knowledge to all. I started shooting benchrest and Ed was always willing to answer any questions, after one small group his comment was did I think the conditions could push a bullet into the group as well as out. He was a great person and I will miss him, prayers and condolences to his family.

Kenneth Specht

Back