Ed Brown rifles..?

S

steve b.

Why do these rifles fetch such a high price? I have looked them over, considered the options, and I'm lost.

s.:confused:

I haven't read the gun rags for years, so I don't know if Brown gets a lot of mention or not. Reason I bring that up is that its gotta have something to do with Kenny Jarrett rifle prices. Talk about inflated!!!

E. Arthur Brown or Ed Brown

if EABco they produced a really nice falling block for silly wet, the action slams in and out, precision made, the rifles are just an extension of the single shot pistols, and should work nicely,

if Ed Brown please disreguard,
Jeff

I would expect that, just like Jarrett, it's all about building a good reputation, then using it as a very effective marketing tool. A little voo-doo doesn't seem to hurt, either. BTW, I don't know anything about Ed Brown, other than I have heard the name in the past. I do, however, know a small amount about Jarrett from talking with local guys who have worked with him.

Two different Browns?

if EABco they produced a really nice falling block for silly wet, the action slams in and out, precision made, the rifles are just an extension of the single shot pistols, and should work nicely,

if Ed Brown please disreguard,
Jeff

Jeff,
I believe they are two different Browns. EABCO produces some nice single shot falling block affordable rifles; as you mentioned. Ed Brown has been making rifles for some time. I've been hankering for one of those falling blocks for awhile.

Lou Baccino

savanna_cover.jpg

Is this one of the rifles? Making sure it is the same Ed Brown. This Ed made his start as a 1911 pistol smith, then branched out to manufacturing first
1911s and finally rifles. The rifles are price like they are because of who Ed Brown is.

Mike

Yeah, that is one of them. I think it was selling for $4500 without scope.

So, what's the scoop? I'm sittin here looking at my BAT that Tom Dixon built, but about 2/3 the cost. What am I missin?

s.

I would expect that, just like Jarrett, it's all about building a good reputation, then using it as a very effective marketing tool. A little voo-doo doesn't seem to hurt, either. BTW, I don't know anything about Ed Brown, other than I have heard the name in the past. I do, however, know a small amount about Jarrett from talking with local guys who have worked with him.

Jarrett shot Benchrest and did pretty good,built a few BR rifles and they were built very good,and shot good.
I bought 2 of his timber rattlers way back when he first started,they were built on a S&W 1500 action,the barrels was crowned and the action was bedded in a brown stock,nothing special except the dang high price.

Yeah, that is one of them. I think it was selling for $4500 without scope.

So, what's the scoop? I'm sittin here looking at my BAT that Tom Dixon built, but about 2/3 the cost. What am I missin?

s.

Steve I suppose the difference is different clientele, and I don't mean that in a bad way. Ed built an unbelievable following of shooters that used his 1911 work and products for years. You gotta remember some of those 1911s go for $4000 or better, or at least they used to. I suspect Ed's rifles are successful in marketing because of what he is known for in the past.

I know of 10/22's that have well over $2000 in them. You start with a custom made billett action, $600+, a Kidd trigger approaching $300 or better, add that custom Shilen or Lilja barrel, a custom stock....and bingo. You have arrived!

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
ed brown & falling blocks ?'s

1st time i've done this,am computer ignorant. just bought a.219 donoldson wasp from E. Arthur Brown. I spoke with , I beleive it's Egan Arthur Brown.I don't hear so hot for some reason.6 1/2# naked. Very nice!Have a # of #1s & a #3,love & hate guns. He has brass formed @ easy prices.His handguns are sillouette shooters dreams.If this wasp is a shooter,it won't be my last from him. Single shots forever! Hoppy

Ed Brown

The Ed Brown who makes 1911s and Bolt rifles makes fine shooting irons but in my opinion is an egotistical and narsocistic prick. I stopped to speak to him at the shot show a few years ago and it was a mistake. Prior to that meeting I use to buy his 45 parts. Now I don't and want in the future.

He does not have to make many sales at the prices he list.

Nat Lambeth

The Ed Brown who makes 1911s and Bolt rifles makes fine shooting irons but in my opinion is an egotistical and narsocistic prick. I stopped to speak to him at the shot show a few years ago and it was a mistake. Prior to that meeting I use to buy his 45 parts. Now I don't and want in the future.

He does not have to make many sales at the prices he list.

Nat Lambeth

I agree 100%

I friend bought a use, Ed Brown built 700 Remington in 223, I mounted the scope and did the load work, gun will shoot 5 shots one ragged hole groups if you watch the flags,,,,,, not too shabby for a varmint hunting rig,,,,,,,

the wind is my friend,,,,,,,,,,,,,

DD

There are several brands out there at that price and reputation. Sisk comes to mind. He uses Serbian mini-mauser action as base for a $5.5k walking varmint rig. But it shoots tiny groups with 40-69gr loads in .223 and weighs 6lbs.

Weatherby custom shop invoice

I found this interesting post on the Weatherby forum under "custom shop ".

http://www.weatherbynation.com/spik...op-work-have-you-seen-and-what-did-it-cost/0/

Comments?

Caliber: .300 Wby. 1,195.00
CBA0921

Barrel: Contour: #4; .300 caliber chrome moly Krieger $435.00
CBA0901

Optional Custom Bolts: Bolt checkered-5 panel $189.00
CBA0403

Optional Custom Embellishments: Damascened bolt $85.00
CBA0503

Barrel Length: 30" $45.00
CBA0913

Optional Scope Mount: Fixed Rings and Bases (Installed and bore sighted) $155.00
CBA0501

Barrel Options:
CBA0909 True bolt face $144.00
CBA0908 True bolt face $144.00

Custom Barrel Completion Fee: $535.00
Bllue Steel Barrel - High Gloss Includes preparation for bluing,
assembly, proof firing, test firing for accuracy, accuracy target,
final inspection, clean up, and packaging.
CBA0996

Barrel Installation: Install-chamber Krieger barrel- $314.00
includes lapping locking lugs
CBA0906

Optional Engraving GRADE 6 - Engraving Pattern (High Gloss) - $1,850.00
Monogram initals on floorplate Engraving: SWA
CBA0801HG

Custom Grade Wood: French Walnut - Special Select $2,150.00
CST0201

Stock Shape: Classic w/machined inlet swivel studs $975.00
CST0301

Carving and Checkering: Fleur de Lis w/ribbon $785.00
CST0404

Recoil Pads: Black decelerator solid recoil pad $50.00
CST0502

Pistol Grip Cap: Rosewood w/diamond maple inlay w/Dbl Spacer $70.00
CST0708

Optional Forend Tip: Forend Tip-rosewood w/Dbl Spacer $70.00
CST0802

Optional Inlays
CST0901 #7A Inlay buttstock $176.00
CST0903 #7B Inlay sides of magazine box area (2) $317.00
CST0902 #7C Inlay bottom of forearm $159.00

Optional Monogrammed Inlays: Gold monogrammed for inlay #7C $265.00
w/3 initials Engraving: SWA
CST1001

Stock Finish: High Gloss hand rubbed oil finish $395.00
CST1101

Custom Shop Completion Fee: Includes letter of authenticity, assembly,
clean up, inspection and packaging.
CSCF1902 $165.00

Glenn:D

There are several brands out there at that price and reputation. Sisk comes to mind. He uses Serbian mini-mauser action as base for a $5.5k walking varmint rig. But it shoots tiny groups with 40-69gr loads in .223 and weighs 6lbs.

Sisk will also go through barrels until accuracy is achieved.

Back