Drilling and Tapping a Rem Action for a Redfield Side mount plate

bob3700

Ok all you home machinists/gun plumbers,

I need to drill and tap two holes on the left rear area of a Rem 700 action. Years ago they came with these two holes in order to mount Redfield match type iron sights.

So, here is the question. Where do you locate the holes? I have four Remington actions two older 700s and two 40Xs. All have the holes from the factory. The delima is that none of them are in the exact same place!!!!!

All are off .015" to .025" from the centerline of the action.

After locating the holes along the length of the action, do I just find the centerline (vertical position) at the highest point on the action and drill away?

Am puzzled why none of these actions have the holes in the same place. I do understand the production nature of the beast but the variation of the holes affects the placement of the sight mount which impacts the orientation of the mount to the vertical.

Thoughts/experience with this issue?

Bob

Bob

Put the stripped action in a bench vise, leveled, then clamp the sight where you want it, also leveled, and mark the hole locations. Drill and tap one hole, insert the screw, level everything again, and if all looks ok you can you can use the hole in the sight to spot drill the second hole.

That's how I do it.

Ray

This fellow could not get it right...
bubba700-0.jpg

Dennis

Look at the positive side. For any given sight, one of the holes may line up perfectly.:):cool:

Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
bob,
Position receiver sight base longitudinally to allow stripper clip clearance & bolt handle/sight windage knob compatability.
Center the #6-48tpi receiver sight base screw holes radially to centerline of the action.

I prefer a hardened/ground WTC(Warner Tool Co) receiver sight base or an MCS(Master Class Sports)extended base of .490"/.590" height depending on front sight configuration.
WTC receiver sights/bases are second to NONE!!

Dennis- OUCH
Milling machines work wonders compared to center punches & pistol drilling!!!!!!

CHeck around, I believe that several companies make redfield mounts with attach on the top screws of the reciever, no drilling required.

Here is the way I have done it. Put scope bases on the top and with a toolmaker's square, super gllue your sight base to the action making sure it is even with the rear of the action and level (square) with the top mounts, put it in the mill with the scope bases against the opposite vise jaw and us the base as a jig to locate your holes. Pretty simple when you think about it.

JKob you are the man!!!
Your way is so much easier than the way I’ve been doing it that I will no longer do it my way any more!!! Pick up the hole with a conical center finder, drill and tap. Move to the next hole and repeat. Tap the sight base with a small brass hammer to remove it, clean up the glue and Bob's your uncle!

Thank you, Thank you very much,
Nic.

Last edited:
Back