Dream Gun

C

Crotchity

Okay you can have what ever you want for a 22 RF bench gun, what would you get and who would do the work?

dream gun

I'll second what Don said. Also with any type ammo I put in it. Thats not to much to ask for is it?
Larry

Well, let's see now. If money were no object, my dream gun would probably be based on a Hall, Turbo or Myers action (not necessarily in that order) with a Lilja, Douglas or Benchmark (not necessarily in that order) Reverse Taper 4 groove barrel, plus Hoehn/Harrell tuner with von Aherns weight system up front, and the package would sit in one of Don Stith's 250 stocks with a Leupold 40X up on top, and a Jewell trigger underneath. I'd have the whole package put together and tested by Bill Myers. Either that, or I'd simply give Bill a call and ask him to please build me the gun of his choosing!

That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it!

Dave Shattuck

Either a Gene Davis 40X or a Butch Hongisto 52C or D. Barrels and stocks of their choice..

That's my story and I'm sticking to it..

Dave

I think

my pick would be a 40x smithed by any of the "honest gunsmiths" such as Hongisto,Brock,Myers,Legar,Penrod,Messer,Loggins,Davis,or Voelker. With a rifle from any of these guys i feel you could win anywhere and would get what you paid for.
Colt.45

A bit of perspective...

If we could magically have a rifle that would allow us to shoot a 250-25X each time, we would tire of it pretty soon. And everyone we shoot with would tire of us. I think the satisfaction of almost anything comes from the "becoming", the hard work in learning and getting better. So, for those of us who shoot less than perfect scores, we have the opportunity for the joy that is out there. And the worse we are, the more joy that awaits us.

David
You may be right, but I would have a lot of fun before I got bored. The man asked about a dream rifle. If you are going to dream...dream big.
Don

Mine is in the works. A Remington 37 (1947 vintage) that Butch Hongisto has right now for trigger work and possibly a new barrel that is going into a Don Stith Maple stock he is working on for me. When they come together it is off to MasterClass for bedding. I'm a sucker for nice maple. I'll top it with a Weaver T24. Hope its done by this Christmas! Great fun this! I'm already working on what to use for the next one. bob finger

I'd send either Myers or Davis a blank check, with instructions to send back the best 10.5# rifle they can make, when absolutely ready and not before. The barrel would need to perform in cool weather. It would arrive completely tuned with whatever doohickeys they found necessary, with 2 cases each of tested and selected ammo from 3 different lots.

Then I could get back to work proving that shooter error can stop the best rifle on the line from winning. ;)

Ben

I guess I am lucky... I have my "dream gun". Turbo with a Broughton 5C (17 twist, Ross taper) in an Edge stock. Smithed by Roger Brock.

When I say my dream gun it is the gun I really wanted back when I first started in ARA shooting a Sako finnfire in the offhand style stock.

Now if I can just get the "nut behind the butt" to live up to what the rifle can do, I would be happy.... :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Turbo, with six groove Lilja barrel from about a decade or so ago, edge stock, modified to accept Anschutz 5018 or Kenyon trigger, Luepold 45X scope - frozen with micrometer external adjustments. Smithed by Calfee and barrel hand-lapped by Calfee.

I don’t really care that much about what components are used, but I do care how it shoots and I had a chance to shoot my dream gun, but DJ wouldn’t let me take it home. :eek:

Peter
oz-rba.com

Back